AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

good second half, woeful early. still think he upsets the balance of our defence. should be first on the chop for ridley.

obviously, he won't be.

I’d be dropping Laverde before Heppell.

He played a lot better than a lot are acknowledging here.
lav was good on memberey i thought. went to work, no missed tackles. tidy defensive shift.

its a balance thing, heppell plays a fairly loose role, i'd rather the person doing that was able to hurt the opposition the other way. which hep really struggles with. ridley can do both but is of a lot more value in heppell's role than in laverde's role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won some contests but that’s not the issue ….. I don’t think he fits with how we are trying to play.

We are taking up very agressive defensive positions so you need players who can close space and transition quickly. Hep and Lav are both struggling with this.

Won some contests but that’s not the issue ….. I don’t think he fits with how we are trying to play.

We are taking up very agressive defensive positions so you need players who can close space and transition quickly. Hep and Lav are both struggling with this.
His defensive positioning in our zones is one of his best strengths, not to mention his courage in the air. I prefer him on the wing rather than down back though, because he really struggles with small forwards who can get up the ground and turn him around with speed and stay down in marking contests, while Heppell generally tries to intercept.

I still don’t think he would be in Essendons best 22 but would be one of the first selected if someone got hurt.

His defensive positioning in our zones is one of his best strengths, not to mention his courage in the air. I prefer him on the wing rather than down back though, because he really struggles with small forwards who can get up the ground and turn him around with speed and stay down in marking contests, while Heppell generally tries to intercept.

I still don’t think he would be in Essendons best 22 but would be one of the first selected if someone got hurt.
Sorry to quote myself, but if Ridley is fit next game I’d move hep to the wing to cover for Durham.

Think heps kicking can be hidden as a skinny wing, and his quick hands inside can be a weapon.

Spot on. Yes he's tough and last night his physicality was stark. He was lucky we played harder defensively further up the ground because it gave him time to set up better. If we played a quicker team, like last week's Sydney, he wouldn't have gotten back quickly enough.

Spot on. Yes he's tough and last night his physicality was stark. He was lucky we played harder defensively further up the ground because it gave him time to set up better. If we played a quicker team, like last week's Sydney, he wouldn't have gotten back quickly enough.
Zone is about keeping the ball in front of you. If they kick through it and get overlap, no one is beating the ball back to goal, so that’s irrelevant. Heppell pretty good at positioning and not letting the ball over his head. People need to remember elite kicking beats any defensive zone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back