Past #21: Corey Jones - drafted w/ #60 in '00 ND - retired during '10 season - thanks CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be a very handy pick up for some local team. Can just see him sitting at FF kicking bag after bag.

The problem is he can't kick. Has been ok over the years, but if his recent VFL goal kicking is any guide, he won't kick too many bags, as they'll mostly look like 4.8 or 3.10 type figures.;)

Congrats to a devoted North Melbourne man, much love CJ you were always a favourite of mine, Kick ten on the weekend and go out on a blaze of glory.

Good luck to Corey with whatever he chooses to pursue next year, there are plenty of VFL teams that wouldnt mind him in their team and I have a feeling this isnt the last we will see of him. He has been a great team player for us over the last 10 years and I wish him all the best for the future.

You lied to me TT :(

Seems we are not picking the best side. I still think driving around in the car before the game should be the extent of a good bye during a season unless the player is in the best 22.

He hasn't played since round 2 and has been in semi-retirement mode all season.

I am thankful for the service he has given throughout his career but if he plays a shocker that isn't the right way to say goodbye.

I'd be all for guest assistant coach for the day, have him rev the boys up before each quarter. That would be good to see.

I'm not sure whether this is tongue-in-cheek or not. Assuming not..

Corey Jones was absolutely deserving of more games during the year if it was based on form and was rightly or wrongly blocked by a long term youth policy.

But he was clearly performing better (relatively) than Warren and Thomas at times.

Whatever. Irrespective of this, the guy has been an absolute gun for our club and deserves the chance to go out with an old fashioned farewell game.

Love ya work (King) Corey!

Agree with 95% of the posts on here.

What a gun medium sized forward, as well as the highlights already mentioned i'll also always have the 2007 highlights DVD to see him destroy Hawthorn down in Tassie.

To top it off, he was a gun bloke and seeing him down at the Peninsula Supporters Club a few times, he genuinelly enjoyed the banter and acknowleged that he was training up Warren to take his spot.

Good luck with the building CoJo, as previously mentioned no doubt he will be bobbing up in suburbia or up bush banging in a bag every week.

That was for the centenary year or some shit I believe.

Its the North Story jumper. Thanks for all your efforts Witchy an congrats on your achievements as a player both at North as well as Sturt

Thanks GR. Watching those highlights again, especially the Sydney game, has the old hairs standing up on the back of the neck. It'll be a sad moment watching him leave the arena as a North player for the final time, but I hope it's on the back of a win.....................for him more than anyone else.

I'm not sure whether this is tongue-in-cheek or not. Assuming not..

Corey Jones was absolutely deserving of more games during the year if it was based on form and was rightly or wrongly blocked by a long term youth policy.

But he was clearly performing better (relatively) than Warren and Thomas at times.

Whatever. Irrespective of this, the guy has been an absolute gun for our club and deserves the chance to go out with an old fashioned farewell game.

Love ya work (King) Corey!

The part about only playing the one game in round 2 was serious. :p

CJ is a fantastic clubman and deserves a big send-off and this is a dead rubber game and doubt we can go up or down so meh, who cares. I'd like us to beat the Dees out of principal but the result doesn't mean a great deal outside of doing it for great servant.

I'd be disappointed if they knew a few others were going to be given the boot and were not also given the chance of a farewell game given the circumstances.

he played his junior footy at sturt, got a feeling his old man played there too so hoping we might get one back from the AFL system instead of just handing them over.

Corey is from Wycheproof in the North Central League & played junior footy there.

Congratulations Corey for a great career with the NMFC.

Thanks GR for the Sydney game footage. I never saw the kick on the day as I wasn't game to watch.... I think I was hiding behind the couch:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would've been nice to see him get AA a couple of years ago. I Thought he was very deseversing. If he was around during out glory years he would have been an amazing foil for likes of Carey and Longmire. I have been very critical of CJ over the past few years but at his best he was an amazing mid-forward. Done very well throughout his career considering how un-successful we have been during his time at the club. Excellent club-man, excellent career. Good luck in retirement CJ.

The problem is he can't kick. Has been ok over the years, but if his recent VFL goal kicking is any guide, he won't kick too many bags, as they'll mostly look like 4.8 or 3.10 type figures.;)

He'll be right. He won't be required to move further than 20 or 30m from goal. Although just to be safe you may want to park your car on the wing :D

Corey is from Wycheproof in the North Central League & played junior footy there.

Yep and it's mentioned in the paper today that Corey hopes to return there to play some country footy for them. So sigur, a Sturt return won't happen.

Find that hard to believe.
Maybe not.

On the broadcast of last weeks game Healy kept going on about Lachie reaching for his hammy in the last quarter after he went back to cover for Thommo.

Lachie definitely has a hammy strain, albeit minor, and would've missed as a precaution regardless. CJ deserves the game based on his form and, whilst he'd be a candidate for Azza's or Milky's spots normally, the opening presented by Lachie's absence paved the way. I wonder what would've happened if a finals spot was on the line this week though.

Nah I don't doubt Lachie has a strain just that Jones is coming in to replace him and nothing to do with sentimental reasons.

Just imagining Scott and his trademark sincerity as he says it cracks me up too. :p

Well done and thanks for the memories CJ. Before the foot injury this guy was a very very good footballer. Hard as they come, Dangerous around goal and always wanted the pill when the game was at it's hottest.

Has languished in the magoos for 2 years but took it in his stride and always gave %100. Great Clubman !

A Craig Sholl type last game would be nice too CJ.

Class. Probably could have gone down the guard of honour alongside Melbournes captain, but declined.

Humble and class at the end.

Kudos to both teams on the way they ended their seasons today.

Class by McDonald aswell to ask him to join

It was a good way to end a good game, kudos to both players

Agree. Great gesture by McDonald to take Corey with him. Very humble of Corey to decline. Class all round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back