20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interview with Andrew Demetriou on SEN Breakfast this morning about the establishment of a new NT AFL taskforce to try and secure the 20th license. The taskforce will consist of Demetriou, Nathan Buckley, Andrew McLeod, head of AFLNT and members of the territory government.

During the interview, Andrew discussed the decline of indigenous draftees in recent years, the potential for the federal government to get involved with funding due to the positive social impacts associated with sport, as well as the Northern Aus concept previously discussed (encompassing Darwin, Cairns and Alice).

As unpopular as this proposal might be on here, it seems to have a lot of momentum at the moment.

Fat Andy trying to be relevant again, but still won't answer questions on the Essendon drug scadal and his part in the cover up.

If you listen to that, it's clear that Demetriou hasn't looked that closely into the cons. He isn't even aware of the climate issues ffs.

But it's interesting in regards to NA that it'd basically be Darwin/Cairns/Alice. Townsville and Mackay don't ever get mentioned so I doubt they'd be a part of it. You think it'd be 7-3-1 if 11 home games, 7-4-1 if we go to 12 home games per club.

It's interesting that he mentioned perhaps conferences.

You feel like if NT/NA does get up as team 20, that could be it, but if there's a conference model, it leaves the door open for expansion beyond 20 teams, and that's the only way the ACT are ever gonna have any hope of getting a team if they aren't the 20th.

I have suspected for a while now that the AFL's preference is NT/NA over ACT/WA3/SA3 for the 20th team but preference and viability are two completely different matters altogether.

But then what happens if the feds do commit billions of dollars of funding to it?
What he said about fixturing is right though. At the start of the season (during the back end of the wet season) there’s no reason why they couldn’t have away games scheduled (and a home game in Alice), then play more home games later in the season at night so the heat is less of an issue.

Yes, I agree that the 7-3-1 split seems most likely. They are probably resigned to the fact that Townsville and Mackay are fairly staunch RL areas. If it’s hard to generate a fan base within the 2.5m people of Western Sydney then perhaps the smaller rugby-dominant cities like Townsville are just not worth the time and effort if they’re guaranteed to get more supporters, academy players, sponsors etc from the more AFL-friendly cities like Darwin and Cairns. Also, the team won’t have to travel as often and the governments won’t have to duplicate expensive facilities across a wider range of cities.

I’m anticipating that if the business case demonstrates how an AFL team can have a positive social impact on the territory and get more youth playing sport and staying in school, instead of turning to crime, then the feds will throw a truckload of money towards it. There would have to be some kind of ongoing commitment from the government to ensure that it doesn’t become a burden for the league down the track though.

Last edited:
Please god, no NT team. Every home game would be hot, humid and slippery. Cant imagine it would be great for the health of players going from 14 degrees winter training to play in 30+ humid and hot conditions. Would it have an impact on recovery and ability to back up?
Having to plan the whole fixture around the rainy season also sounds like a major pita. Like we need a new team where the whole fixture has to be planned around catering to them. Im sure adding a team that adds more than proportional complexity to an already complex fixture process is exactly what the AFL needs.

The story on Fox Footy says the funding gap is now almost $19m.

That's ballooned by 26% since the scoping report. If the AFL covers that, the NT will now cost them the same as the Suns and St Kilda combined, every year.

They also want $240m to fix up Alice Springs' stadium. $240m for a town of 25k.

An incredibly optimistic bid.

Interview with Andrew Demetriou on SEN Breakfast this morning about the establishment of a new NT AFL taskforce to try and secure the 20th license. The taskforce will consist of Demetriou, Nathan Buckley, Andrew McLeod, head of AFLNT and members of the territory government.

During the interview, Andrew discussed the decline of indigenous draftees in recent years, the potential for the federal government to get involved with funding due to the positive social impacts associated with sport, as well as the Northern Aus concept previously discussed (encompassing Darwin, Cairns and Alice).

As unpopular as this proposal might be on here, it seems to have a lot of momentum at the moment.

The reasons given sound more like an attempt at social rehabilitation than a genuine attempt at a viable professional sporting club. Completely the wrong reasons for a 20th team.

I just don't see how you could have games in Darwin or Cairns in March and April.

I'd go with 3 Alice games, then 3 Adelaide games (including GR) for an NT side, with the rest of their home games in Darwin from May onwards.

For NQ, 2 Townsville games, then a Mackay game, then off to Adelaide for 3 games (including GR), with the rest of their home games in Cairns from May onwards.

But Canberra first, then do NT and NQ for teams 21 and 22 if we commit the cardinal sin of going beyond 20. :p
And how would all that travel with no real home base possibly attract players?

Not sure why there's this fear of the weekly bye.

The current situation is a mess: took about six weeks for all the teams to be on equal games played and I think the mid-season bye rounds, which is surely when attendance dips and broadcast tips, stretch over four weeks don't they (it's at least three). then the end of season bye which must be calculated into salaries. throw in the skewing of Gather Round, too.

Other major issue is actually slotting in ten games. the AFL and individual broadcasters clearly don't like too much of an overlap with start times and Thursday is hard work for anyone who isn't 25 and single. crowds are going nuts and no one's rocking up for weird time slots (I went to the Freo - Richmond game and that began bang on 1pm and I had to leave the house at around 11am, and I'm only 30 minutes from the city) while late Sunday starts kill your Monday morning.

Players will get a comfy week off and with the season inevitably growing, they'll need the extra break.

Not sure why there's this fear of the weekly bye.

The current situation is a mess: took about six weeks for all the teams to be on equal games played and I think the mid-season bye rounds, which is surely when attendance dips and broadcast tips, stretch over four weeks don't they (it's at least three). then the end of season bye which must be calculated into salaries. throw in the skewing of Gather Round, too.

Other major issue is actually slotting in ten games. the AFL and individual broadcasters clearly don't like too much of an overlap with start times and Thursday is hard work for anyone who isn't 25 and single. crowds are going nuts and no one's rocking up for weird time slots (I went to the Freo - Richmond game and that began bang on 1pm and I had to leave the house at around 11am, and I'm only 30 minutes from the city) while late Sunday starts kill your Monday morning.

Players will get a comfy week off and with the season inevitably growing, they'll need the extra break.

Expand club lists and piss the bye off.

If clubs want to rest players, feel free to do it.

Here is the NT’s strategic business case for the 20th AFL license. The taskforce/advisory group with Demetriou, Buckley and McLeod, has been formed to guide the implementation of recommendations provided in the business case.

Tasmania and Team 20 are completely different circumstances.

It's crap that Tasmania had to jump through so many hoops. But the AFL didn't want to expand, and they wouldn't have if Tasmania hadn't jumped through those hoops.

But a 20th team will be sought after. Fair or not, the hoops won't be the same for Tasmania and whoever comes in as Team 20 (unless it's somewhere ridiculous like Darwin or Cairns who'll need air-conditioned stadiums).
This is delusional.

Tasmania had to jump through hoops because it's a small market with small projected growth. Like Canberra. The AFL is only going to grant a new licence in such circumstances if it's assured of long-term government support. The best way to secure this support is via huge investment in a new stadium of the class previously outlined.

If the AFL were as afraid of odd numbers as you seem to think, they'd already have clear plans for a 20th team. They aren't actively seeking a 20th team, but rather leaving the spot open for potential bidders to enter an arms race of sorts... which has already begun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best way to make this 'North' team viable would be to send the existing North up there.

Drop the word Melbourne from their name and become the North Kangaroos, playing games in Darwin, Cairns and Melbourne.

Then give the 20th license to Canberra and you've got a truly national league.

And how would all that travel with no real home base possibly attract players?
Well, the games could be upped to 9 each in Darwin and Cairns for each respective team, with Alice getting 2 instead of 3 games and Townsville getting 1 game instead of 2.

The hubs would minimise travel. Alice Springs then to Adelaide is one trip in five games, two home, three away. That leaves 18 games, 9 at home, so nine more trips and you’re looking at 11 plane trips in total, one before the season begins from Darwin to Alice. It’d be a similar ordeal for NQ.

But the cold hard truth is, if the AFL wants to cap at 20, one or both of NT and ACT misses out.

Unless as suggested here, a godfather offer can get North to move. 7 games in Darwin, 3 in Cairns, 1 in Alice, 3 in Adelaide, and a guaranteed 7 away games in Melbourne with extra access for Melbourne based members and free Kayo.

This is delusional.

Tasmania had to jump through hoops because it's a small market with small projected growth. Like Canberra. The AFL is only going to grant a new licence in such circumstances if it's assured of long-term government support. The best way to secure this support is via huge investment in a new stadium of the class previously outlined.

If the AFL were as afraid of odd numbers as you seem to think, they'd already have clear plans for a 20th team. They aren't actively seeking a 20th team, but rather leaving the spot open for potential bidders to enter an arms race of sorts... which has already begun.

We'll obviously have to jump through hoops, but not the same ones.

1. The Tasmanian expansion has initiated this round of expansion. The AFL did not want to expand yet and they gave ridiculous demands to Tasmania. The AFL will be fine with a few years of odd teams, but as you said, there's already plans for a 20th team. The desire for a 20th team will be greater than it was for a 19th team. So, fairly or not, the demands places on a potential 20th bid will likely be more reasonable.

2. Canberra and Tasmania are different markets. Greater Canberra has all of Tasmania's population in the one centralised area. If you include the distance from Hobart to Launceston, we've got nearly 900k. As for the market factors, Canberrans have a median income 70% higher than Tasmanians. Both markets are small, but Canberra's market is still a lot bigger than Tasmania.

3. "small projected growth". Not sure if you're referring to population or support, but neither is true for Canberra. We've been the fastest growing state/territory for the past two censuses and that growth is expected to continue. As for support, we're a mixed code town, a lot of neutral support to grow into. The long-term upside is greater for a Canberra team.

4. Manuka v Bellerive. This is the most important factor. If we had some crappy stadium in the sticks, then a new central stadium might be a necessary hoop. But Manuka is well-placed, central, amongst pubs and restaurants, and soon to be somewhat along the light rail. It will need an upgrade, I'm not denying that, but we don't need a shiny new roofed stadium. It's overkill.

5. We will still likely have long-term government assurance. All ACT teams get millions in funding. As I've previously mentioned, the ACT government seems keen on giving further perks such as in-season naming rights and signage rights at Manuka. Collectively, they'll be about $5-6 million in government assurances.

I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing contest between Canberra and Tasmania. Just pointing out that they will be trying to enter in quite different circumstances.

I would love a new city AFL stadium, but I don't think it's likely in Canberra's political climate. And a new roofed stadium is not as important as it is for bids like Darwin or Cairns.

Back