2024 VFL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

OI OI OI none of that, Port Melbourne didn't finish last, they finished 2nd last !!!

That Port Melbourne side in 2021 had to get rid of several players to make way for inexperience when the 6 players under 22 years of age per match rule came into play. Even Williamstown who was the most consistent side in the past 15 years struggled under that criteria. Ayres definitely developed players under his time. Players like Cain, Nahas, Dwyer, Pleming, Pinwall etc etc were all products of Ayres who took boys who could play and developed them into some of the best vfl players of their time.

As for the crowd which MRobbo posted - considering that Port had huge membership numbers in March, significantly more than its nearest rivals - after a forgiving and good showing by Borough supporters in their first home game, I think it's sad but fair to say that the fans have made a statement by their lack of attendance.
There was a bus to go to Franga yesterday and only 6 on a 52 seater

That disappointing, what was the crowd like and how much of the crowd was Port ?
I wasn't at the game myself but I've just looked at the match replay and it looks like one of the smallest crowds I've ever seen at Frankston. Reminds me of going to games as a kid when even most of the hill was dead.

I wasn't at the game myself but I've just looked at the match replay and it looks like one of the smallest crowds I've ever seen at Frankston. Reminds me of going to games as a kid when even most of the hill was dead.

You do expect one of the smallest crowds you've seen, we surely are not expected to get Frankston like crowds at Frankston, we struggle to get comparable crowds at home.

You do expect one of the smallest crowds you've seen, we surely are not expected to get Frankston like crowds at Frankston, we struggle to get comparable crowds at home.
Definitely wasn't expecting a big crowd, but with Port Melbourne providing a supporter bus I'm surprised it was so quiet.

From my limited experience (two games) of Port Melbourne, Port's home games have always felt pretty lively and active. But maybe the Good Friday double header was more the exception than the rule.

I was at Preston City Oval, Geelong won by 53 pts, it's gonna be another long year for the Bullants.

Attachments

• IMG20240414151401.jpg
    IMG20240414151401.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
Definitely wasn't expecting a big crowd, but with Port Melbourne providing a supporter bus I'm surprised it was so quiet.

From my limited experience (two games) of Port Melbourne, Port's home games have always felt pretty lively and active. But maybe the Good Friday double header was more the exception than the rule.

We are a little different to Frankston in our supporter base, although we have more members than Frankston we no longer draw a huge amount of local members. The membership base is far and wide and many found it a inconvenience to get to Port Melbourne to catch the bus added to that theirs another couple of reasons for the small crowd...

Port melbourne fans are disgruntled at the moment with team performance and have therefore dropped off after both club and opposition talked positively on their chances. The club will need a couple of good back to back wins to get the fans back but it's hard to see that happening beginning from next week.

Additionally a few I spoke to feel like the club should have better organised the works with requesting away games in order to not lose a home game and therefore didn't want to pay the $21.4 for a home game. If we put it in context though it's not too big a deal considering that memberships are a mere $70 and often teams play home games away from.home such as Western united playing in Tasmania, Footscray playing in Ballarat, Hawks and North in Tassie.

Should Port lose v Carlton expect a very small crowd no more than 500 the following home game.

We are a little different to Frankston in our supporter base, although we have more members than Frankston we no longer draw a huge amount of local members. The membership base is far and wide and many found it a inconvenience to get to Port Melbourne to catch the bus added to that theirs another couple of reasons for the small crowd...

Port melbourne fans are disgruntled at the moment with team performance and have therefore dropped off after both club and opposition talked positively on their chances. The club will need a couple of good back to back wins to get the fans back but it's hard to see that happening beginning from next week.

Additionally a few I spoke to feel like the club should have better organised the works with requesting away games in order to not lose a home game and therefore didn't want to pay the $21.4 for a home game. If we put it in context though it's not too big a deal considering that memberships are a mere $70 and often teams play home games away from.home such as Western united playing in Tasmania, Footscray playing in Ballarat, Hawks and North in Tassie.

Should Port lose v Carlton expect a very small crowd no more than 500 the following home game.
Not requesting this to be an away game is baffling to me. With Port's VFLW side playing at Casey Fields on the same day, why not simply have them both at the same ground as a double header?

Need Sunday games 1pm at Port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game is cooked if Lemmens gets 4 weeks for that tackle. Hawks player leaves the ground clearly contributes in the force

While Tyler Sonsie gets 3 weeks for a king hit

Victorian Bias is loud and clear

Is there any guide to which games will be the Channel 7 games this season (for the rounds that have been scheduled of course) or does that only come out week-to-week?

Here you go mate

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416-120854_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416-120854_Messenger.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 22

Without stating the bleeding obvious, current coach Record is 13 wins from 39 games or 33%. This result has driven member and spectator numbers to an all time low. How long will it take the GM to realise the real reason why no one attends games, functions and god forbid free bus rides to outlying areas to watch our team. No AFL coach would have lasted this long. His list management of throw out the good and recruit old, wash up afl hacks has destroyed the club. Hi 👋 Harley and Mr Wilkinson.

Last edited:
heck the vfl, cant believe that’s stood at 4 weeks.

Can’t wait for Gold Coast to smoke all their standalone teams again

Without stating the bleeding obvious, current coach Record is 13 wins from 39 games or 33%. This result has driven member and spectator numbers to an all time low. How long will it take the GM to realise the real reason why no one attends games, functions and god forbid free bus rides to outlying areas to watch our team. No AFL coach would have lasted this long. His list management of throw out the good and recruit old, wash up afl hacks has destroyed the club. Hi 👋 Harley and Mr Wilkinson.

I agree that the main reason to the low crowds is team performance, post covid it has been tough and at times frustrating being a Port Melbourne supporter. I feel that the lack of numbers to functions is due to cost - tough economic times has led to people avoiding $90 pre match functions which only offer a basic drinks package and finger food. The bus wasn't free, it was chargeable, just over $20.

I think the recruiting was strong but we failed in two areas, a gun forward and a ruckman to replace Naismith.

That top 4 finish that people reported the club expected, will now take a minor miracle.

I agree that the main reason to the low crowds is team performance, post covid it has been tough and at times frustrating being a Port Melbourne supporter. I feel that the lack of numbers to functions is due to cost - tough economic times has led to people avoiding $90 pre match functions which only offer a basic drinks package and finger food. The bus wasn't free, it was chargeable, just over $20.

I think the recruiting was strong but we failed in two areas, a gun forward and a ruckman to replace Naismith.

That top 4 finish that people reported the club expected, will now take a minor miracle.
They expected to get Patrick Voss with no plan B

Mate, how can you say the recruiting has been strong? That is a ridiculous statement when you look at the facts

We have turned over 64 players in TWO years (32 OUT and 32 IN ) being 15 players who played over 250 COMBINED games over the two years and 17 players who didn't even get a game with majority walking away from the club

We roll out 1st game with a 3rd year coach playing 13 debutants FFS or 50% of the team, no wonder we can't win a game

Like all Stand Alone clubs list management is about RECRUIT, DEVELOP AND RETAIN (RDR).

Based on turning over our list 1.5 times in two years even "blind freddie" would agree that our ability to RDR is shithouse under current regime hence our recruitment has be weak not strong.

Frankston's team for tonight. Harrison Coe making his VFL debut after playing for Beaconsfield. Joe Lloyd and Connor Riley also back into the side.

Attachments

• 437936466_881302310675468_9160128104641924017_n.jpg
    437936466_881302310675468_9160128104641924017_n.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back