List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

At the least didnt we get pick 12 or something back in that deal for Carlisle?

Carlisle and 12 for 5 and 25 or something?

Yes

And the pick 10 used to get Hill in 2019 was received from Port Adelaide along with Howard and Ryder

So we never had the pick used to get Howard and Ryder and pick 10 at the same time.

Yes

And the pick 10 used to get Hill in 2019 was received from Port Adelaide along with Howard and Ryder

So we never had the pick used to get Howard and Ryder and pick 10 at the same time.
I still think we did well to turn our original first rounder into the picks to send Port and what was the base of the Hill deal.

I still think we did well to turn our original first rounder into the picks to send Port and what was the base of the Hill deal.
I just hate this kind of click-baity journalism - like saying we played three grand finals for no flags in 09-10 so you can subliminally infer we could have won three premierships in those two years.

I just hate this kind of click-baity journalism - like saying we played three grand finals for no flags in 09-10 so you can subliminally infer we could have won three premierships in those two years.

Yep, or showing fake stats to make our players look worse than they are so they can bash them.

Thanks Kane Cornes

Can anyone on here tell me what is wrong with this sentence? From long-term conjurer Jay Clark:

View attachment 1976652

The way it turned out, the second rounder for Hill was worthless, Pandemic year draft. ( We used our first on Allison). Luckily Jay forgot about Blake Acres.
So yeah our first round pick that could have been used simply to draft Serong, but we split it by trading to GWS.
The Jones deal also would have seemed bad in 2020 if we'd cared that year.

We gave 12 and 18 to port and got 10 back. So , yeah, Paddy and Howard did cost us a first.

Carlisle cost us a first round downgrade, and a second.
The way the draft worked out, Gresham (our downgraded first ) is probably still as good as anyone before him, except McKay. He's done better than neckbeard Francis anyway.

Talk in this article that LDU may possibly receive the biggest contract offers of all time. Saints interested with a lot of spare cash. Just the sort of player we need but talk of ten year contracts seems a bit over the top. Here's a quote from the article from journo Jay Clark...

“For Luke Davies-Uniacke - who’s at North Melbourne, he’s a free agent next year, he’s out of contract - it seriously could be a $13-15 million offer,” Clark stated.

If we offer $15 million to LDU then this supporter who has supported St Kilda since 1971 will leave football forever. When will we ever learn that making big contract offers never works? One or two ACL's and it's all over FFS. Forget about FA's and huge offers. Keep going to the Draft until at least Tassie come in. Along the way try to generate more FRDP's by cashing in players that are over the age of 27 and keep adding young guns to our CORE group. Currently our core group is as follows.....
Higgins
Windy
Collard
Wang-Mil
Owens
Clark
King
Byrnes
Stocker
Dow
Keeler
Wilson
Henry
Hastie
Pou
Battle
Arie
Patton
Garcia
Sharman
Caminiti

That is a core of 21 players. If any other club comes to us and offers a FRDP for any of the other 24 players on our list take it and run and use it at the Draft on the best possible young gun. There are only 4 drafts left before Tassie come in so now is the time to do this. If we don't do this we will be ****ed. We will be a middling team for another 10 years. Not bad enough to get top 5 picks but not good enough to challenge. Over the next 4 Drafts I want us to use at least 12 FRDP's at the draft on young guns so that is another 12 young guns added to our current core of 21 as per above.

Currently the players that could and should get us a FRDP (that are obviously not in our young Core group) are as follows....

Steele - "A" grader turning 29 in December.
Marshall - "A" grader turning 29 in November.
Sinclair - "A" grader turning 30 in February.
Wilkie - "A" grader turning 29 in March.

If any club came to us and offered pick 15 or better for any of the above 4 players at the end of this year, I would take it.

Last edited:
If we offer $15 million to LDU then this supporter who has supported St Kilda since 1971 will leave football forever. When will we ever learn that making big contract offers never works. One or two ACL's and it's all over FFS. Forget about FA's and huge offers. Keep going to the Draft until at least Tassie come in. Along the way try to generate more FRDP's by cashing in players that are over the age of 27 and keep adding young guns to our CORE group. Currently our core group is as follows.....
Higgins
Windy
Collard
Wang-Mil
Owens
Clark
King
Byrnes
Stocker
Dow
Keeler
Wilson
Henry
Hastie
Pou
Battle
Arie
Patton
Garcia
Sharman
Caminiti

That is a core of 21 players. If any other club comes to us and offers a FRDP for any of the other 24 players on our list take it and run and use it at the Draft on the best possible young gun. There are only 4 drafts left before Tassie come in so now is the time to do this. If we don't do this we will be ****ed. We will be a middling team for another 10 years. Not bad enough to get top 5 picks but not good enough to challenge. Over the next 4 Drafts I want us to use at least 3 FRDP's at the draft on young guns so that is another 12 young guns added to our current core of 21 as per above.

Currently the players that could and should get us a FRDP (that are obviously not in our young Core group) are as follows....

Steele - "A" grader turning 29 in December.
Marshall - "A" grader turning 29 in November.
Sinclair - "A" grader turning 30 in February.
Wilkie - "A" grader turning 29 in March.

If any club came to us and offered pick 15 or better for any of the above 4 players at the end of this year, I would take it.
Two points:

• no one is offering a top 15 pick to us for any of those players
  • that is four fifths of the leadership group - do this and you are Melbourne 2012

Two points:

• no one is offering a top 15 pick to us for any of those players
  • that is four fifths of the leadership group - do this and you are Melbourne 2012
I disagree on both your points. The above 4 players would easily be offered pick 15 or better. We might need to give a third back but that's ok.

This notion of becoming a Melbourne is just simply nonsense. We MAY take a step backwards for a year or two but I am looking at the long term. As I said, we must pick the eyes out of the draft before Tassie comes in. What other option do we have? The current option is not working so we have to try something different. Risk reward. And besides, didn't Melbourne win a flag a couple of years ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only one of those you would maybe get a top 15 pick for is Roma. The other 3 while guns are not worth that sort of value.

Sinclair - While elite plays a position that’s not in high demand
Steele - 4 years ago probably fetches a top 10 pick. But a 30 year old inside mid with wear and tear nah teams would rather take a kid at that cost.
Wilkie - A great success story but history tells that key defenders are undervalued in trade and teams will just wait out FA or draft and hope

Shame we didn't take them to the draft though. Great deal from GWS.

I think there was an issue with us trading out when we were at the wrong point in the cycle. That's fair enough that you gamble and if it doesn't come off you should be critiqued. We have at least removed the poor decision makers this time. Lethlean, Trout, Gallagher have all been shunted and replaced with upgrades.

I’m all for spending big on an LDU or Hugh.

We need to do something our midfield is one paced and really lacks that elite explosive plays that they have.
If 1.3 is what it is then it is what it is

LDU looks the better fit. Probably slightly more upside IMO too. Looks like he could be an absolute star if he continues to progress.

I disagree on both your points. The above 4 players would easily be offered pick 15 or better. We might need to give a third back but that's ok.

This notion of becoming a Melbourne is just simply nonsense. We MAY take a step backwards for a year or two but I am looking at the long term. As I said, we must pick the eyes out of the draft before Tassie comes in. What other option do we have? The current option is not working so we have to try something different. Risk reward. And besides, didn't Melbourne win a flag a couple of years ago?

Doesn't sound different, sounds like Pelican II.

LDU looks the better fit. Probably slightly more upside IMO too. Looks like he could be an absolute star if he continues to progress.
I agree and he has pretty much played a lone hand in the midfield for the last 4 years.

I wouldn’t say no to either, we have to spend the money.
would rather frontload the s**t out of someone like LDU.
North would probably accept the bitter pill this year knowing they would get pick 2

Shame we didn't take them to the draft though. Great deal from GWS.

The first of the two probably would have netted us something nice in the draft, but the second not as likely.

It wouldn't have been the end of the world 2024 if we ended up with:
No Howard, No Paddy, No Hill but:
Acres and Serong.

Hill is getting on in age now.

Sometimes we're too clever in trade week.

I agree and he has pretty much played a lone hand in the midfield for the last 4 years.

I wouldn’t say no to either, we have to spend the money.
would rather frontload the s**t out of someone like LDU.
North would probably accept the bitter pill this year knowing they would get pick 2

He's not an rfa. You have trade for him

Took 'em nine years, by 2012 the GC/GWS concessions were pretty much over (Tassie will just be beginning when we bottom out as hopeless because we have no senior players), and the AFL bailed them out with a handpicked (and funded) CEO and premiership coach. If you think that under any circumstance the AFL would bail us out in the same way, I have a bridge to sell you.

The only way we beat the entrenched structural disadvantage handed us by the AFL and their unfair rules (F/S and academies) is innovation. We need to develop the next cutting edge method onfield to get ahead of the pack. Hawthorn did it in 2008, Richmond in 2017. It can be done.

I'm on the record - I think the issues at St Kilda are cultural and organisational and not talent (innate born-with physical characteristics) based. We've had plenty of talent come through the doors - we need to develop it and utilise it much better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back