VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly to me he looked like an intercepting third tall, maybe like a less accountable version of Josh Battle. Hard to tell from one game but I can't imagine we need a guy with his profile. I suppose if they think he's really high potential then he makes some sense, but I don't really see it.
Depends if you are looking at keeping Battle at all costs or are happy to look at the compo we might get if he left.

Baffling. The decision to play Collard ahead of him will be one of the strangest and worst calls for the season.

Collard I can understand, but bringing out Garcia as our main pressure forward for Paton is questionable. Then there’s the issue of Steele having a run with role on Fyfe. Wilkie went to Amiss if my recollection of the game is correct, rather than to Treacy and Doug to Amiss. We could also add bringing in Pou which was never going to work out.

Collard I can understand, but bringing out Garcia as our main pressure forward for Paton is questionable. Then there’s the issue of Steele having a run with role on Fyfe. Wilkie went to Amiss if my recollection of the game is correct, rather than to Treacy and Doug to Amiss. We could also add bringing in Pou which was never going to work out.
Paton at least was playing well in the VFL, even if it was in another role. Collard maybe 3 touches with no impact and gave away a 50m which cost us the game. How do you reward that with a senior game?

You are right though that so many decisions with yesterday's game were strange. Feels like they made changes just to say they made them rather than because they would make us better, then doubled down with stranger match-ups that were a few years out of date.

Paton at least was playing well in the VFL, even if it was in another role. Collard maybe 3 touches with no impact and gave away a 50m which cost us the game. How do you reward that with a senior game?

You are right though that so many decisions with yesterday's game were strange. Feels like they made changes just to say they made them rather than because they would make us better, then doubled down with stranger match-ups that were a few years out of date.

Yeah, I agree, timing with Collard not the best, probably should’ve come in for Norf game. I wonder whether there was a bit of Ross just trying to back Lance in after the Box Hill game, have him in against home team Fremantle and during Doug Nicholls round.

I think with Paton issue was more around bringing him in as defensive forward not so much whether VFL form was sufficient.

Can’t read too much into this win against a Richmond side bereft of AFL players, but it could be a much more interesting year for Sandringham than it is for the Saints.

Higgins, Butler, Ross, Schoenmaker, Stocker and Membrey all potentially back at some level next week.

Collard didn't deserve a call up, plus he is simply not physically ready. Trying Paton as a defensive forward on Clarke I could understand, but Garcia shouldn't have been dropped for Collard or Phillipou. I think Pou was done a disservice by he returning so early, you could see his confidence is shot.

In any event it's nice to Sandringham being a competitive unit again, what a difference that will make to the kids development.

Nar. Jones for Hugo was the big stuff up. Collard got to experience the indigenous round and play a full game. It would have been huge for him.

fact is we have to play those unwarranted selections to find out about our list, our only path is the churn the list and weed out those not up to it

Need a distraction from our woes?

When people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

When was the last time Richmond's senior team and their Reserves team both go down by 100+ on the same weekend?

haha

oh...The problem with my little sugar hit is that Richmond have won three flags in the last 7 years..

Oh well..it worked for a second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if there's a medical reason for that. Does it mean AFL/AFLW listed players have harder heads than everyone else?

Well a harder head would actually make concussion worse....as concussion comes from the brain, which floats in fluid inside the skull, hitting the inside of the skull when the skull/head is suddenly stopped when in motion.

Im more of a fan of letting key defenders develop in the 2s until they're primed and ready to go.. getting found out against bigger body forwards in the AFL can be pretty brutal, it can be pretty bad for confidence.. Love keeler but I'd wait until he truly starts dominating games

Not just defenders, gifting Pou last season, and this season, so many senior games has not done his development any favours.

I personally believe he would be more advanced if he had been allowed periods in the VFL to develop.

Even moreso as in the seniors he has been mainly playing in a role of a posse of mid sized marking forwards (Membrey, Owens, Sharman and Pou) that makes it hard for any of the to thrive.

Not just defenders, gifting Pou last season, and this season, so many senior games has not done his development any favours.

I personally believe he would be more advanced if he had been allowed periods in the VFL to develop.

Even moreso as in the seniors he has been mainly playing in a role of a posse of mid sized marking forwards (Membrey, Owens, Sharman and Pou) that makes it hard for any of the to thrive.
I think a few games in the seniors can be really beneficial, garcia for example looks to be seeing the game much quicker when playing for sandy now compared to before he got a run in the seniors. But yep agree, pou got gifted way too many games and now he's forgotten how to football. Hopefully can get it back at sandy over the next month

I think Lyon is trying to address one of our acknowledged key problem areas from last season - not kicking big enough scores. I still reckon Lyon is panicking now as he can't quite get the mix right to solve this problem, but it also means rejigging the midfield. Garcia played a great game yesterday, but looks more like an onballer than a small forward and should be just that in the seniors.
Collard is a long way off, and Pou, as others have said, was gifted too many senior games last season when he should have spent blocks of time at Sandy working on aspects of his game.

I think Lyon is trying to address one of our acknowledged key problem areas from last season - not kicking big enough scores. I still reckon Lyon is panicking now as he can't quite get the mix right to solve this problem, but it also means rejigging the midfield. Garcia played a great game yesterday, but looks more like an onballer than a small forward and should be just that in the seniors.
Collard is a long way off, and Pou, as others have said, was gifted too many senior games last season when he should have spent blocks of time at Sandy working on aspects of his game.

why do you think Lyon is trying to address the one key problem?

Allison is a poor man's Sharman.

Granted that is harsh but both lads not cut out for it at AFL level.

My guess is Caminiti will be persisted with for a run of games in the back half of the season in the hope Hayes can get his body and conditioning right and also hold a spot.

based on available assets King, Caminiti and Hayes makes the most sense structurally as far as talls in the forward line goes. And if each of those guys can stay injury free for the remainder of the season to show if they can form any connection then that would be a good outcome in terms of getting a decent look at some players in the forward line to find the keepers.

Allison is a poor man's Sharman.

Granted that is harsh but both lads not cut out for it at AFL level.

My guess is Caminiti will be persisted with for a run of games in the back half of the season in the hope Hayes can get his body and conditioning right and also hold a spot.

based on available assets King, Caminiti and Hayes makes the most sense structurally as far as talls in the forward line goes. And if each of those guys can stay injury free for the remainder of the season to show if they can form any connection then that would be a good outcome in terms of getting a decent look at some players in the forward line to find the keepers.

They're all tall and reasonably immobile. There's no clear third tall hit-up forward in that group.

Feel like if we are moving past Membrey and Sharman doesn't get there (no good games from him this season so far), we're back where we were since Hamill retired - looking for a third tall forward again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back