Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

Just rewatched H2, it wasn't bad at all...

Q3:

1. 13m left, Walsh gets a handball receive, runs into an open goal misses from 25m. That would have made it 43 pt. lead.
2. 11m left, Petracca goals after Hollands jnr. fails to tackle him...Chuck goals still 37 pts.
3. 6m, 35 pts, Owies ridden into the dirt, no free.
4. 4m left, still 35 pts.
5. 3m left, they goal.
6. Cripps tries a left foot kick (didn't need to), turnover...
7. they goal.
8. 36 sec left, Pitto lays a huge tackle, no free - would have been an easy shot, 30m out.

Q4:

1. GH goals
2. 9.58 left - 26 pt. lead.
3. Bad turnover as one of ours kicks to a Lever/Durdin contest - bad option!
4. They goal.
5. 7.16 left, 20 pt lead.
6. 5.19 left, still 19 points.
7. 3.58 left - the Viney/Harmes slap - just lucky! 13 pts.
8. 3.21 Viney roaming (GH miles away) - he kicks inside 50 and Dees goal. 7 pts.
9. < 1 min, Big Max marks on 50 and goals. 1 point.

They just lifted, we were tired....

Personally think Walsh & Cripps far more influential on the game. Sure #5 Dees got 5, but 3 were gimmes, he only had 21 disposals...

Good morning all

:plus: :four:

Take a bow Nic Newman!

Not a big fan of Thursday night footy and if you had played this game on a Friday night or Saturday twilight we would have got another 15-20k I would have thought.

Thursday night games rate well for Channel 7 and Foxfooty so maybe give the majority of the games to the lower ranked clubs to try and boost their profiles. Clubs like St Kilda, Footscray and even Essendon ;)

Leave Friday nights and Saturday afternoons to the big boys.
Blashphemy... it's * please.

One thing that has struck me for a long time is the desire to overanalyse such a simple game. I understand why the media types do it, they use it to justify their pay. A prime example is David King, the master of using and inventing more irrelevant statistics to ensure his place on the gravy train. I don't understand why anybody else would want to do it. Sit back, watch the game and enjoy it.

Marchbank, Williams and Motlop hopefully return next week. Fogarty and Saad in the next fortnight. Start to get a good team on the park is important. Cerra's injury is frustrating. It may not have been a bad one but he is a player with chronic hamstring issues and that is really frustrating we have not been able to get ontop of this.
Our defence was brilliant last night gb - not sure I would want to break that unit up with Marchbank and Williams tbh. Unless you meant to play in the reserves to find form.

After having a night to sleep on it and calm down, apart from the end of the game we were dominant, I just would like that to be removed. Felt very 2022 Carlton

Cincotta was Elite and is vital to our side

if weiters doesnt make AA now the selectors are gonna look more foolish than they’ve ever been
his first half was extraordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe half a bow. Crippa should take at least half a bow for that.
Definitely. Petracca may have been strong enough to break out of Newman, at worst he likely at least disposes of the ball, but once Crippa latched on as well he was stone cold done for.

Actually, on watching it again, Cripps is there first and has a firm grip. Newman finished it off

Great performance apart from that last quarter, that was really poor. Tried to waste time and shut up shop and did an extremely poor job of it, let them right back in. Things seemed to change when we lost Cerra.

Thing we have over Melbourne is that they are a similar side to us. They aren't a team that can exploit us with pace.

Good to see more of our defence back. McGovern showed his worth, Weitering cam back into form, his first good game of the season, Cincotta was good in a lock down role, Cowan was ok, Boyd was good so we had some really good contributors back there.

The midfield was really good for a lot of it. Cripps and Walsh dominating, Kennedy doing a job fairly well and Cerra was playing well before injury. Hewett came on but he doesn't add what the team desperately needs in there. Cerra took away what we need more of. Run. Acres was good, Hollands was good but I want to see him better his defensive and contested game.

Forward line looked good at times, it marked well. Thought Curnow got a bath from May as he did the last time we played them. May lead the game for marks, 9 which were against Charlie. Curnow took 8 and kicked 2 but at crucial times May kept them in it. Even when we were dominating them, May was the one who turned a lot of our plays over. McKay is in red hot form. DeKoning is in form. Martin made an impact, makes our forward line function a lot better. Owies is in good form.

I thought our top end were good. We let Petracca have a big night. Some of it was him being too good. Some was bad football. You would think after last week, you don't let the gun players get goal side in range of goal but it keeps happening.

We won, that keeps us in touch with the 8 and a chance to finish in the top 4.

Marchbank, Williams and Motlop hopefully return next week. Fogarty and Saad in the next fortnight. Start to get a good team on the park is important. Cerra's injury is frustrating. It may not have been a bad one but he is a player with chronic hamstring issues and that is really frustrating we have not been able to get ontop of this.
No, it wasn't.

We were up by 26 points with less than 10 minutes remaining - after that you could argue it was 'poor'....

We had a lot of young guys out there, an injury (Cerra) and a few guys with no match fitness at all.

That is clear evidence to suggest Voss does not understand mindset and the sub-conscious mind which is crucial in elite level sport.

Voss needs to be educated on it ASAP or it’s going to cost us a flag. Again.
OR it means that Voss was subconsciously letting them know that the game could go either way (in a close contest) and that they need to be focused the entire time

He was exposed late with a few howler moments too. His being pinged for 2 or 3 HTBs were huge in the 4th and they were bad ones where he just didn't expect the heat and looked slow processing what was happening.

I notice when he had a free kick / mark, he crabbed to his left and then tried to straighten on his right, and being slightly off balance and not getting full penetration on his kick.. he also took one or two too many steps to when in play.

He'll learn from it

We can't keep playing Ollie on the wing he is too slow to react. He is killing us at the moment
he had a stellar Q1.

Yes, he got pinged a few times late in the game, but overall, it was a much better effort by him (almost his 2023 form).

Given he's slight, need a rest every so often.

Did his bit no question.

I really like Ollie Holands as a player...but he really needs to work on his situational awareness. The number of times he gets run down from behind is becoming a bit of an issue. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix...but he needs to do it. Needs to put on a bit of muscle too.
This was from a training report from some very astute poster after one of the open training sessions after we'd drafted Ollie.

Hollands looks very confident the way he moves and seems to find space where there is none - however, on occasions he's horribly slow in his decision making when he has the ball in hand and gets caught. I noticed the same in the U18 champs, so an area of his game he'll have to improve
He doesn't have the leg speed to break away from the opposition, so definitely needs to work on his situational awareness, and learning to 'take the first option'. Hopefully it's an area of his game he can improve on cos he works his arse off, but right now it's still a part of his dna.

Back