Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The opening game of the 2024 Ampol Women's State of Origin clash broke attendance and television rating records as New South Wales upset Queensland 22-12 at Suncorp Stadium.

NRL Womens State of Origin 1 rated a record average audience -and in the process smashing the previous Nine broadcast record for NRLW Origins – of 941,000 (including BVOD of 128,000) with a reach of 1.983 million. (Data: VOZ)
  • 2023 NRLW Origin 1 – 643,000 on Nine and 118,000 on FoxSTB
  • 2023 NRLW Origin 2 – 606,000 on Nine and 90,000 on FoxSTB
  • 2022 NRLW Origin – 423,000 on Nine and 158,000 on FoxSTB
  • 2021 NRLW Origin – 467,000 on Nine and 151,000 on FoxSTB
  • 2020 NRLW Origin – 485,000 on Nine and 55,000 on FoxSTB
  • 2019 NRLW Origin – 631,000 on Nine and 152,000 on FoxSTB
  • 2018 NRLW Origin – 586,000 on Nine and 104,000 on FoxSTB
NRLW Origin is the highest rating NRL or NRLW or even AFL match shown on Free to air television this season (by average audience)

• NRLW Origin 1 - 941,000
  • AFL ANZAC Day 895,000 (896k consolidated)
  • AFL Pies/Blues 802,000 (819k)
  • NRL Vegas 796,000 (808k)
It was a record attendance of 25,492 at Suncorp Stadium

View attachment 1991425

The AFL really needs to pull the clubs and the AFLPA into returning State if Origin. There is no international games or anything so at the very least their should be representative games.

Can't wait for all the weird arguments about how it somehow won't work despite it not being revisted in 25 years.

Absolute mountains of free money being left on the table if that's all the AFL cares about at the very least.

The AFL really needs to pull the clubs and the AFLPA into returning State if Origin. There is no international games or anything so at the very least their should be representative games.

Can't wait for all the weird arguments about how it somehow won't work despite it not being revisted in 25 years.

Absolute mountains of free money being left on the table if that's all the AFL cares about at the very least.
Works in RL because there are only two states. You would have to represent all states if it was to be done in the AFL. Just too cumbersome.

Works in RL because there are only two states. You would have to represent all states if it was to be done in the AFL. Just too cumbersome.
Yes - you could do a combined “Allies” team for the non WA, SA, Victorian teams, but I suspect not many of them want to play under that banner

should declare from outset - i have no interest in state of origin football - its time is finished ..... but if people insist on pushing for its inclusion then the following rotating schedule might work

• year 1: VIC v allies
  • year 2: SA v allies
  • year 3: WA v allies

allies side selected from players not born in the home state playing that year

would need victorians to finally accept they are not the centre of the afl universe

should declare from outset - i have no interest in state of origin football - its time is finished ..... but if people insist on pushing for its inclusion then the following rotating schedule might work

allies side selected from players not born in the home state playing that year

would need victorians to finally accept they are not the centre of the afl universe
Interesting concept, but the reality is that Victoria is the centre of the AFL universe. More than half the players come from Victoria. A combined Vic/Tas/NSW/ACT/Qld/NT side would beat SA or WA by 150 points.

I also don't care about SOO, it's time has passed, but if it was to happen it would have to be:

Year 1
VIC vs SA
WA vs TAS
NSW vs QLD
NT vs ACT

Year 2
VIC vs WA
SA vs TAS
NSW vs QLD
NT vs ACT

Year 3
WA vs SA
VIC vs TAS
NSW vs QLD
NT vs ACT

I also don't care about SOO, it's time has passed, but if it was to happen it would have to be:

Year 1
VIC vs SA
WA vs TAS
NSW vs QLD
NT vs ACT

Year 2
VIC vs WA
SA vs TAS
NSW vs QLD
NT vs ACT

Year 3
WA vs SA
VIC vs TAS
NSW vs QLD
NT vs ACT
Tasmania would be a weaker team than both NSW and QLD. They'd get hammered by 200 points by those three states.

Tasmania would be a weaker team than both NSW and QLD. They'd get hammered by 200 points by those three states.

Yeah it's not the 60's anymore. Queensland would be a lot more competitive against WA and SA than Tassie would. But it aint happening anyway. Not with the blokes at least. They could bring it in for the women though and it would probably be moderately successful.

A-league GF will only get 20k playing it at Gosford. Still it seems fairer giving it to the top side's home grand compared to what the AFL do every year.

Yeah it's not the 60's anymore. Queensland would be a lot more competitive against WA and SA than Tassie would. But it aint happening anyway. Not with the blokes at least. They could bring it in for the women though and it would probably be moderately successful.
Doing a women's SOO series isn't the worst idea. The rugby league SOO is attracting some pretty reasonable crowds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s a good idea, but what would the teams be? Victoria, DA, WA and a composite Allies team? League SOO just has 2 teams

youd probably go vic v the allstars or something. probably just an annual clash. Talent wise, maybe QLD v Victoria, but then the Swans and Crows get reasonable attendances at times, so NSW v SA. Christ knows.

Christ has spoken:

youd probably go vic v the allstars or something. probably just an annual clash. Talent wise, maybe QLD v Victoria, but then the Swans and Crows get reasonable attendances at times, so NSW v SA. Christ knows.
Part of the reason the one-off game was stopped after 2017 was that Victoria were just comfortably the better team to make it not a worthwhile endeavour. No reason to suggest why that would change.

I would also suggest smaller teams loses the all-star aspect as well as gaining very few fans. How many people would sincerely be interested in WA vs. SA women's state of origin or whatever?

If we want a single game of all-star quality, it can't be done in any state of origin format that people recognise as state of origin in AFLW.

I think it’s a good idea, but what would the teams be? Victoria, DA, WA and a composite Allies team? League SOO just has 2 teams
Just Vic v the rest. It would be nice to see a high standard women’s match. Good for the players. Good for the broadcasters. Play it a Marvel the week before the AFLW season licks off, with cheap entry and all proceeds to a charity,

Part of the reason the one-off game was stopped after 2017 was that Victoria were just comfortably the better team to make it not a worthwhile endeavour. No reason to suggest why that would change.

I would also suggest smaller teams loses the all-star aspect as well as gaining very few fans. How many people would sincerely be interested in WA vs. SA women's state of origin or whatever?

If we want a single game of all-star quality, it can't be done in any state of origin format that people recognise as state of origin in AFLW.
From what I understood from Lyons (albeit in the context of a men’s AFL SOO), he was talking about a Victoria vs the rest state of origin. I don’t think cheering for the Allies/ Rest of Australia would hold much appeal for SA and WA, who would want a state of origin team of their own, rather than be lumped together with others whilst Victoria has a SOO team of its own.

From what I understood from Lyons (albeit in the context of a men’s AFL SOO), he was talking about a Victoria vs the rest state of origin. I don’t think cheering for the Allies/ Rest of Australia would hold much appeal for SA and WA, who would want a state of origin team of their own, rather than be lumped together with others whilst Victoria has a SOO team of its own.
And if you look at Lyon's rant it was all very "why can't we see the bigV?" focused. Because there is no serious meaningful opposition is exactly why SoO wont work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back