List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with Smith is that he no longer provides the drive and creativity off half back that he's in the side for.
He cant defend, and is becoming less reliable by foot. Was excellent once, but has dropped off sharply.

View attachment 1985298

Most of that was in the first two weeks though

Round 3 and 4
Freo 22 touches 86% 460m gained
Melbourne 27 touches 78% 649m gained

Then round 5
Carlton 19/68/430

So his first two were putrid, then he found some reasonable form and then they played him with his back (which was dumb)

I wouldn’t say he is off the cliff yet

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Most of that was in the first two weeks though

Round 3 and 4
Freo 22 touches 86% 460m gained
Melbourne 27 touches 78% 649m gained

Then round 5
Carlton 19/68/430

So his first two were putrid, then he found some reasonable form and then they played him with his back (which was dumb)

I wouldn’t say he is off the cliff yet

"They", you mean he played with his back. You know they've said for ages tyat they trust the senior players to know their bodies. Smith chose to play, he wasn't forced to. And last week was disgusting.

For me the issue with smith has been that while he might be mostly ok based on DE and metres gained, he has made consistently 2 or 3 huge, obvious errors under no pressure that really stand out and lead directly to a goal against. They are momentum killers and when we have lost several games by under 3 goals, it makes a huge difference

For me the issue with smith has been that while he might be mostly ok based on DE and metres gained, he has made consistently 2 or 3 huge, obvious errors under no pressure that really stand out and lead directly to a goal against. They are momentum killers and when we have lost several games by under 3 goals, it makes a huge difference

Agreed in the first couple of weeks in particularly he was poor. But he clearly started to find his mojo before he did his back

With our lack of players with high games played it does provide a bit of free pass to the ones we do have - which at times is not good

His metres gained are being statpadded by his mediocre, predictable kick ins as well, which almost always go to the exact same spot every time.
And while I can't confirm this as fact, I've heard that disposals that travel that sort of distance are marked automatically as being effective, irrespective of how much of a disadvantage they actually end up leaving us with. So none of the three stats involved are actually telling us the full story.

Yes, kick over 40m to a contest is effective. This is Smith and Sholl bread and butter.

Disposal efficiency is a really dodgy stat.

Coleman from Brisbane went about the same last year, averaging ~73% effective, but the disposal quality compared to our 2 is through the roof because it's dangerous disposals.

Mid season draft
K Ryan has 3 goals 20 touches and 6 clearances in the third qtr and he runs all day, on 20 , we have to give him a go

Arlo Draper who we’ve been rumoured to be interested in having a good game as well, 19D and 2 goals, started strongly but seems to be drifting out of the game in the second half (just following stats)

Mid season draft
K Ryan has 3 goals 20 touches and 6 clearances in the third qtr and he runs all day, on 20 , we have to give him a go

Sam Conforti for Sturt with three goals including one from 60m out. Looks a good young small forward.

Yes, kick over 40m to a contest is effective. This is Smith and Sholl bread and butter.

Coleman from Brisbane went about the same last year, averaging ~73% effective, but the disposal quality compared to our 2 is through the roof because it's dangerous disposals.

Mackay and Jaensch made a career out of it. Kick to yourself from a point, run 15m and kick 40 to the right boundary. Get an effective disposal and a rebound 50. Smith was at least a gun in his day, but he's terrible now and if he had an inkling of leadership or team first, he'd refuse selection and sort his injury out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 spots, reckon Sloane will stay on as he’s doing stuff around the club and keeps his income out of soft cap

Sloane retiring just puts him on the inactive list until seasons end, much like Seedsman's did. So, assuming we put Parnell and Milera on the inactive list too with their season ending injuries, we will have 3 spots.

Sloane retiring just puts him on the inactive list until seasons end, much like Seedsman's did. So, assuming we put Parnell and Milera on the inactive list too with their season ending injuries, we will have 3 spots.
I’d be surprised if we use more than two picks, unless we take three and use it as a trial period of sorts with the strict intention of cutting at least one player at season’s end

His metres gained are being statpadded by his mediocre, predictable kick ins as well, which almost always go to the exact same spot every time.
And while I can't confirm this as fact, I've heard that disposals that travel that sort of distance are marked automatically as being effective, irrespective of how much of a disadvantage they actually end up leaving us with. So none of the three stats involved are actually telling us the full story.

And his meters gained now aren't booming kicks out of the back line to advantage.

They're dump kicks to nobody.

The effective disposals thing is correct. An effective kick is either a long kick that gains territory and results in a contest or a short kick that finds a teammate.

Any kick in he takes and kicks long to ROB should automatically count as ineffective.

Thats fair, but this is the data we have. If a player like Smith is getting 70-80% of his possessions uncontested he bloody well better use it well. If the kick-ins are padding the effective percentage that just makes his 65% worse.
I dont love "meters gained" on its own as a raw data point either, but the drop off relative to his other seasons backs up observations from watching games this year, which for me is theres very little run and creativity. Even fresh, as the sub last week he was poor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back