• Jimmy Webster (31 in June)
  • Zak Jones (30 years old March 25)
  • Tom Campbell (33 in November 24)
  • Ben Paton (26 in October)

QUESTION MARKS
  • Cooper Sharman
  • Ryan Byrnes
  • Matthew Alison

Its going to be one of the hardest years ever when it comes to trading, delisting or retiring players. Obviously it depends a lot on what or who the club are looking to bring in. At the moment we have too many wait and see players on the list, developing players with potential but havent produced enough to get AFL games. Players like Keeler, Allison, Hotton, Van Es, Heath, McLennan & OConnell who all have potential at different levels, but how long do you give potential before you make the decision. Then there are players like Byrnes, Stocker, Paton, Clark who are depth type players that are not going to take us anywhere. All could be offered for trade if other clubs are interested.

The club had previously stated they want to keep going back to the draft, but that was before the significant drop off this season. Whether they keep that resolve time will tell, but there are no doubts we need elite midfielders and another ruckman, I doubt they all come from the drafts.

Lets say we trade in an established ruckman and midfielder, where will that leave this year draft hand? I think the club will take at least 2 NGA's or F/S so we will need to make 5-6 list positions available. For me the most in danger at seasons end are Jones, Heath, Allison, Van Es and Hotton. Then older players like Ross & Membrey are nearing the end are they looking to retire. I think McLennan and OConnell are Cat B rookies so they get more time.

The other way we can make room is to trade out and there are a number of players who could be offered up as trade. I have done a complete back flip on Campbell, he is just so important to our VFL program and great with the kids. He gets another year even if we do attract a ready to go ruckman eg Moyle or Bryan. Heath is the ruckman who should be delisted he simply hasnt improved enough to look like he is capable of becoming an AFL player.

Last edited:

Someone could offer Battle 900 if Hayward is around that mark. If we finish bottom 4, you'd be crazy not to accept an additional top 5 pick, if that's what it generated. We've hit 1 from 3 top 5 picks in 25 years so 2 in one year would be an amazing platform for the next group coming through. Play Shoenmaker in Battle's spot next year.
Heard the Roos offered him 6 x 1 mill

Webster. Very obviously a hard nut still playing well, we need his type.
Jones : Agree , i think he's done.
Campbell: Only if we get other , better ruck depth. Don't want to replace him with a 29 YO GOP.
Paton. Looking like it, not going to be more than depth at this point. Probably replaced by Hastie at least. OOC

Sharman: you could ask the question, but right now we don't have the depth.
Byrns : Every club needs midfield depth, ours more than most.
Alison OK, if Sharman is a question mark Alison is not the one you want to keep.

McLennan: I thought he was tracking OK, but he doesn't seem to be on the radar for selection, and out of contract.
Butler? : OOC
Heath : His progress seems very slow. Talls take longer i guess.
Hotton : Who? Injured a lot, but not showing much when he's not.
Horton played his best VFL yesty

Its going to be one of the hardest years ever when it comes to trading, delisting or retiring players. Obviously it depends a lot on what or who the club are looking to bring in. At the moment we have too many wait and see players on the list, developing players with potential but havent produced enough to get AFL games. Players like Keeler, Allison, Hotton, Van Es, Heath, McLennan & OConnell who all have potential at different levels, but how long do you give potential before you make the decision. Then there are players like Byrnes, Stocker, Paton, Clark who are depth type players that are not going to take us anywhere. All could be offered for trade if other clubs are interested.

The club had previously stated they want to keep going back to the draft, but that was before the significant drop off this season. Whether they keep that resolve time will tell, but there are no doubts we need elite midfielders and another ruckman, I doubt they all come from the drafts.

Lets say we trade in an established ruckman and midfielder, where will that leave this year draft hand? I think the club will take at least 2 NGA's or F/S so we will need to make 5-6 list positions available. For me the most in danger at seasons end are Jones, Heath, Allison, Van Es and Hotton. Then older players like Ross & Membrey are nearing the end are they looking to retire. I think McLennan and OConnell are Cat B rookies so they get more time.

The other way we can make room is to trade out and there are a number of players who could be offered up as trade. I have done a complete back flip on Campbell, he is just so important to our VFL program and great with the kids. He gets another year even if we do attract a ready to go ruckman eg Moyle or Bryan. Heath is the ruckman who should be delisted he simply hasnt improved enough to look like he is capable of becoming an AFL player.
I think Gus Mac is possibly out of time, but you've nailed it.
Were it me.1 Jones, 2 Ross, 3 Membrey retired with honers then start giving a some kids the bad news. Looking at the likes of Hugo and Hastie you can see what the right attitude looks like and l reckon there won't be any slack for those who can't cut it.

any danger of offering the 1.5mil to Harley Reid?
that kid will single-handedly drag any club to a premiership.

He's an insane talent but I rekon part of what he's doing is a "**** the doubters" rampage, to show up all the people that questioned his loyalty.

Feel like he stays with the Eagles for a good 100-150+ games, minimum.

Yeah - doubt he'd get us first round compo. End of first maybe (lets say Pick 19,20 or 21).

We finish 13th - offer North 5 and 20 for Pick 1

Smillie and O'Sullivan are the probable top couple of players. They don't look like they are outstandingly better like Harley Reid was. Turning Battle and pick 5 into a player no better than pick 5 would be a stupid gamble.

Horton played his best VFL yesty

He was a potential top 10 pick. His brother is heading towards top 6 this year, I'd be holding on to him and see how he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah - doubt he'd get us first round compo. End of first maybe (lets say Pick 19,20 or 21).

I’d be too scared we’d **** it up.

No way.

First off, there is no chance Norf are accepting that. That is a shocking trade.

Secondly, getting pick 1 is not worth it this year. The top-end is extremely even, so the team with pick 1 will have to have a very specific need to be worth the pick (North need a tall mid - Smillie).

We don't really have a specific need, we need a range of dynamic mids and attackers. If we end up with 2 top 7 picks instead of pick 1, we'd basically get 2 for 1 with regards to that type of player. O'Sullivan would be nice but he should be gone in the top 3. Two of Jagga Smith, Draper, Moraes would be elite. Hopefully one of the teams above us will take Trainor which would mean those mids slide.

Then Taj Hotton is set to slide down the order with his ACL (poor bugger), so we could pick up a bargain with our 2nd rounder tied to Adelaide. Perhaps bringing his brother across could help Olli kick-start his career too.

Then later on we'll have the F/S & NGA boys; Adrian Cole, Elwood Peckett, Lennox Hofmann, Sam Linder, Everitt jr. I think we'll take 2 of them, 3 at most.

No way.

First off, there is no chance Norf are accepting that. That is a shocking trade.

Secondly, getting pick 1 is not worth it this year. The top-end is extremely even, so the team with pick 1 will have to have a very specific need to be worth the pick (North need a tall mid - Smillie).

We don't really have a specific need, we need a range of dynamic mids and attackers. If we end up with 2 top 7 picks instead of pick 1, we'd basically get 2 for 1 with regards to that type of player. O'Sullivan would be nice but he should be gone in the top 3. Two of Jagga Smith, Draper, Moraes would be elite. Hopefully one of the teams above us will take Trainor which would mean those mids slide.

Then Taj Hotton is set to slide down the order with his ACL (poor bugger), so we could pick up a bargain with our 2nd rounder tied to Adelaide. Perhaps bringing his brother across could help Olli kick-start his career too.

Then later on we'll have the F/S & NGA boys; Adrian Cole, Elwood Peckett, Lennox Hofmann, Sam Linder, Everitt jr. I think we'll take 2 of them, 3 at most.

North probably would. There is a good KPD around pick 5, Trainor. He's ideal for them and 20 gets them a second bite at a FRDP. They'd be killing it. Picks 1 to 6 or so are very even so they'd be very smart to do that deal. We wouldn't. Basically throwing away Battle to get a 4 pick upgrade around the same quality as the pick we had.

North probably would. There is a good KPD around pick 5, Trainor. He's ideal for them and 20 gets them a second bite at a FRDP. They'd be killing it. Picks 1 to 6 or so are very even so they'd be very smart to do that deal. We wouldn't. Basically throwing away Battle to get a 4 pick upgrade around the same quality as the pick we had.
Trainor won't be available at 5

Smillie looks pick 1 bound. O'Sullivan 2, Ashcroft 3, Jagga at 4, then one of Draper, Trainor or Moraes.

This guy has him at 10.

Updated top 50

1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh (VC) - 182cm
2. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham (Bris FS) - 179cm
3. Josh Smillie - Eastern - 194cm
4. Leonardo Lombard - GCS A - 178cm
5. Jack Whitlock - Murray - 200cm
6. Harry O'Farrell - Calder - 196cm
7. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo (NSW) - 194cm
8. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh - 181cm
9. Sid Draper - Sth Adel - 180cm
10. Luke Trainor - Sandringham - 194cm
11. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo - 187cm
12. Jonty Faull - GWV - 195cm
13. Josh Murphy - Murray - 190cm
14. Tyler Welsh - WWT (Adel FS)- 191cm
15. Taj Hotton - Sandringham - 182cm (acl injury)
16. Christian Moraes - Eastern - 183cm
17. Ben Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 186cm
18. Zaydyn Lockwood - Bendigo - 198cm
19. Joe Berry - Murray - 180cm
20. Phoenix Hargrave - Sth Adel - 182cm
21. Tom Gross - Oakleigh - 181cm
22. Xavier Lindsay - Gippsland - 183cm
23. Noah Mraz - Dandenong - 198cm
24. Lucas Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 185cm
25. Harvey Langford - Dandenong - 190cm
26. Cooper Hynes - Dandenong - 190cm
27. Bo Allan - Peel - 191cm
28. Matt Whitlock - Murray - 197cm
29. Lucas McInerney - Northern - 180cm
30. Isaac Kako - Calder (Ess NGA) - 175cm
31. Sam Lalor - GWV - 187cm
32. Jesse Dattoli - Northern - 179cm
33. Murphy Reid - Sandringham - 180cm
34. Benny Barrett - Sth Adel (Port NGA) - 174cm
35. Sam Marshall - Sandringham (Bris A) - 185cm
36. Kayle Gerryn - West Perth - 199cm
37. Zak Johnson - Northern - 185cm
38. Patrick Retschko - Oakleigh - 186cm
39. Joe Harrison - Syd A - 179cm
40. Louis Montgomery - Nth Adel (Port FS) - 184cm
41. Malakai Champion - Subiaco - 172cm
42. Austin Van Der Struyf - Claremont - 178cm
43. Damon Hollow - Calder - 180cm
44. Nathaniel Sulzberger - Sandringham/Tas - 184cm
45. Kade Herbert - WWT - 184cm
46. Lucca Grego - Western - 184cm
47. Doug Kerr - Oakleigh - 192cm (acl injury Coll NGA?)
48. Nash King - Calder - 181cm
49. Archer Day-Wicks - Bendigo - 186cm
50. Hugh Boxshall - Clare - 187cm

more to keep an eye on...

Jak Ryan - Eastern - 176
Adrian Cole - Sandringham - 195
Lachie Jaques - Geelong - 184
Max Stobie - Gippsland - 180
River Stevens - Geelong - 176
Cohen Paul - Murray - 193
James Barratt - Bendigo - 193
Flynn Penry - GWV 201cm
Ned Atkinson - Sturt 181cm
Jacob Newton - Norwood 176cm
Chayse Martinson - Swan Dist - 180cm
Otis Harvey - Swan Dist - 182cm

Where do you think he'll go?
3-5.

Top 3 is Smillie, Finn, Ashcroft.

Either a team will trade up into the top 5 to snag Trainor or one of West Coast or Hawthorn take him. He's the best key defender by a mile, he'll come at a premium despite probably not being a top 5 'talent' in the pool

Remove this Banner Ad

Back