• Chad Warner

Votes: 148 66.1%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a thin draft assessment if they say that he doesnt boast the same explosive athleticism as other prospects???
I think that's the point. It's something he's developed as he's matured and developed his fitness in an AFL environment. Burst speed and power out of the contest are attributes that can be improved with fitness and strength training especially if he was a late bloomer physically.

Some players are almost fully formed at 18 like Rowell while others take much longer to grow into their bodies and full abilities. Warner was obviously nowhere near the full package in his draft year hence why he went late.

Its easy for us to sit back now and say oh we should have drafted him but every club passed on him multiple times so he obviously wasn't displaying the sort of explosive movement and lateral agility he's got now.

If Hayward stays they will likely lose a star player. The two players they could potentially lose are both linked to WA. I hope for our sake we have cooled off Macca and are going all out for Warner. It is worrying that Macca hasn't re-signed with Sydney yet. Would the Eagles trade for him?

If I was them and I even had a sniff he wanted out, I’d give a first this year and next for him before you could blink.
Warner is what Reid could become.

Warner and Reid for the next ten years is scary stuff.

If I was them and I even had a sniff he wanted out, I’d give a first this year and next for him before you could blink.
Warner is what Reid could become.

Warner and Reid for the next ten years is scary stuff.
Sorry I meant would the Eagles trade for Macca? Maybe Sydney is waiting to sort our Hayward contact before trying to sign Macca and hence the hold up.

That’s a thin draft assessment if they say that he doesnt boast the same explosive athleticism as other prospects???
I'd say it's just plain wrong. I'm willing to accept that Warner improved that a bit or unlocked how to use it better, but I can't believe he went from not being explosive as an U18 to being one of the most explosive AFL players period.

Warner went at #39, if Freo wanted Warner they could have traded back into the draft to get him the way you did the next year for O’Driscoll.

Not sure what you are talking about with O'Driscoll. We traded pick 35, 46, and a future third rounder to get the O'Driscoll pick. That clearly wasn't an option for us in the 2019 draft, especially considering how hard it was to get back into that draft. GC had to trade a future pick 11 for pick 27. Brisbane traded a future second to upgrade pick 23 to pick 22. Essendon traded a future second to upgrade pick 35 to pick 30 etc.

Could Chad Warner have some homesickness in him by the end of the season? Some homesickness we can perhaps alleviate with a contract to finish this decade and in doing so compensating Sydney with some first round picks?

Should we target someone like Angus Sheldrick, with Sydney's stacked midfield when will he ever get a game there?
I like Gus, but if we're targetting an inside mid, it has to be someone with burst and/or goal kicking (i.e. Chad).

Gus would be stuck with Ras not playing. Eagles should be all over him though.

I like Gus, but if we're targetting an inside mid, it has to be someone with burst and/or goal kicking (i.e. Chad).

Gus would be stuck with Ras not playing. Eagles should be all over him though.
Nah Gus isn't highly rated for a reason. Similar mould of Brodie, a one position player.

I'd say it's just plain wrong. I'm willing to accept that Warner improved that a bit or unlocked how to use it better, but I can't believe he went from not being explosive as an U18 to being one of the most explosive AFL players period.
Plyometrics + genetics is a crazy combo. That has been Baker's focus during the last few preseasons and he is quite quick now. Treacy has been hard at work with pylo during his preseasons at Body Majic and you can see the results. Delean needs to be doing the same thing.

I see MacDonald only had 9 possessions yesterday for 2 behinds ,with Jackson, Treacy, Amiss and Voss we definitely do not need him and would be wasting our high draft picks. It would also cause a bottleneck of key position forwards not all getting regular games when they deserve it. I would concentrate on small forwards and speedy midfielder goal kickers which we lack. Another tallish winger long penetrating kick in the mould of Sharp would be good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You almost can't judge any North player accurately with how dysfunctional every player on their list is at the moment. I can't help be intrigued on the idea of adding Zurhaar for free

I always go back to the lack of pressuring, and tackling. With 3 talls, can he play as the fourth tall?

He would be good for at least 1.5 goals a game in our team, hopefully a bit more.

I think that would be ok, although I doubt Longmuir would like the lack of pressure.

If he can, can Frederick play as the 5th tall or wing?

I don't want Frederick playing as the 5th tall, Switta either. Ideally we get two young small forwards to play those roles.

So either Frederick get moved to another role (maybe wing, 7th forward) or we can't fit him in our team.

Which forward line is better?
Is the difference enough to justify the cash outlay?

Frederick Treacy Jackson
<New FP> Amiss <New FP>

7th forward: Switta
or
Zurhaar Treacy Jackson
<New FP> Amiss <New FP>

7th forward: Frederick

These types of decision, is why being a good list manager is hard.

I always go back to the lack of pressuring, and tackling. With 3 talls, can he play as the fourth tall?

He would be good for at least 1.5 goals a game in our team, hopefully a bit more.

I think that would be ok, although I doubt Longmuir would like the lack of pressure.

If he can, can Frederick play as the 5th tall or wing?

I don't want Frederick playing as the 5th tall, Switta either. Ideally we get two young small forwards to play those roles.

So either Frederick get moved to another role (maybe wing, 7th forward) or we can't fit him in our team.

Which forward line is better?
Is the difference enough to justify the cash outlay?

Frederick Treacy Jackson
<New FP> Amiss <New FP>

7th forward: Switta
or
Zurhaar Treacy Jackson
<New FP> Amiss <New FP>

7th forward: Frederick

These types of decision, is why being a good list manager is hard.
I think we could get a decent increase in his work rate just getting out of North then it really is a no brainer. Can't be understated the effect of playing in a perpetually shit team (look at McKay).

I'm not holding hope but I'm struggling to think of why they shouldn't be chasing him

I think we could get a decent increase in his work rate just getting out of North then it really is a no brainer. Can't be understated the effect of playing in a perpetually s**t team (look at McKay).

I'm not holding hope but I'm struggling to think of why they shouldn't be chasing him

Whose spot do you have him taking in our side?

I know Banfield played on the weekend, but I am struggling to understand the impact to other players (mainly Frederick) if Zurhaar took Banfield's spot in our side.

I know Banfield played on the weekend, but I am struggling to understand the impact to other players (mainly Frederick) if Zurhaar took Banfield's spot in our side.
Zurhaar would replace Emmett, and be an upgrade for sure. Could Emmett replace Walters is the question or do we play Simpson instead of Walters

Baker Treacy Freddy
Jackson Amiss Zurhaar
Switta

Hell of a lot better than the current 7. Then it's up to Simpson to get ahead of Switta and Emmett in the picking order

What if Young ( height 189cm same as Sharp ) was put on a wing if we were to recruit another top class midfielder ( say Warner ), then we would have really incredible long accurate kicking wingers who could also kick goals. They would be real weapons.

You almost can't judge any North player accurately with how dysfunctional every player on their list is at the moment. I can't help be intrigued on the idea of adding Zurhaar for free

I agree. Would be a good get to replace Walters. Nothing against Walters but at his age we need quality to move in. Zurhaar is a risk but wouldn't cost much and imo would be a better player in a better team.

Baker Treacy Freddy
Jackson Amiss Zurhaar
Switta

Hell of a lot better than the current 7. Then it's up to Simpson to get ahead of Switta and Emmett in the picking order

Better than current 7 but badly needs a quality small forward.

I guess Switta could get pushed to wing or mid rotation if we got one

I guess the concern with Zurhaar is that if you're adding him and Baker and paying Zurhaar enough for North to think the FA compo is worth not trying to force a trade, is that the best way to use what we have salary cap-wise? It'd be amazing to add them 2 to the fwd line and still have 2 first rounders and you'd be targeting the general area of weakness in the team, but can you do that, retain the players we want to retain and still be in the conversation if a real big fish like Warner becomes available?

Granted, we can make moves that will relieve additional cap space: a few players who we should be delisting, and then if Raz is a significant part of the future plans, surely 1 if not both of Brodie and Jaeger are excess goods. But I look at Sydney and how last off-season they found opportunities to get upgrades without wasting significant draft capital and having the cap space to re-sign all these players and still be in the convo for the Bulldogs OOC tall fwds (even if it amounted to nothing). Some of that was opportunities presenting themselves, but to me that's the standard.

Otherwise I'm with you: Zurhaar is both too talented and has (from what I've seen) too much competitiveness not to go for with the belief he will return to previous form or even improve on that. Seems like he'd especially be the type to get burnt out and tired of losing.

My nuffie prediction is that Reid will request a trade and the Eagles will use the picks to get Warner. We will be grateful Reid is out of WA but depressed Warner will be in the blue and gold.

if you're adding him and Baker and paying Zurhaar enough for North to think the FA compo is worth not trying to force a trade, is that the best way to use what we have salary cap-wise?
And this is really it in a nutshell.

And why it just isn’t happening, especially as baker already (rightly so too) is our number 1 priority.

I don’t think anyone could argue he isn’t exactly the type of player we need but the fact that he’s at north who in no world could we outbid them without the threat of matching or in doing so blow our cap space in the process (on a bloke who has only ever shown glimpses of A grade traits)

So most likely scenario is north matching our bid , which would still have to be extremely generous for a player of cams ability but on top of that end up having to trade for him too

Yuck

Back