• McDonald

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 120 64.2%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m thinking now it’s better to take our hand to the draft than trade anyone in.
We had a side today I wouldn’t leave anyone out of & we have Cox, Switta, Voss, Brodie, Ras, Stanley, Worner, Wagner, Davis, Sturt, McDonald, Murphy, Knobel, Odin, Reidy all coming through in various stages of development or injury.

There’s depth in almost every position.
We need an elite winger & some developing small & medium forwards.

How much does Baker improve us?

Who does he push out?

Chad Warner would be a clear upgrade , in a spot of weakness so him at the end of next year would be a big win.

Not sure about anyone else.

Who does he push out?

Chad Warner would be a clear upgrade , in a spot of weakness so him at the end of next year would be a big win.

I think Baker turns one of those spilled balls around the wing to half forward into a possession inside fifty maybe once a quarter.

He is very clean picking it up and uses it well.

I think Baker turns one of those spilled balls around the wing to half forward into a possession inside fifty maybe once a quarter.

He is very clean picking it up and uses it well.

Who does he push out? I assume it is either Banfield or O'Meara?

Does his output justify the cost? Both in picks and salary cap space.

Who does he push out?

Baker isn’t a game breaker, but he 100% improves us. If available he’s a no brainer for one of our firsts.

He’s clean and fits the mould of what Longmuir wants.

I don't necessarily disagree with what others are saying about Baker. I'm just imagining turning all that draft capital into something like Wanganeen-Milera & Bobby Hill level players who can be useful in their first year and grow alongside all the other under 25's.
If we can bring Baker in and still have a decent swing at a couple of those types I'll be happy.

Depends on where we would want to play him.

Fyfe and Walters will be finished soon.

JOM. Banfield.

Could be a Mr fix it type in the Aish mould.

He could play on a wing where we don’t really have depth.

Front half takes Switta or Emmett.

There’s 6-8 blokes he replaces and upgrades our side.

If we get McDonald do we have a forward line next year of:
Freddy Treacy Walters
McDonald Amiss Jackson.

Or do we go
Freddy Treacy Walters
McDonald Amiss Emmett.

Send Jackson to ruck full time and, dare I say it, trade Darcy.

Not doubting he improves us, but is it worth the 700 to 800k and the 1st round pick.

I doubt we will be pushing anyone out through salary cap issues.

Most of our young guns have signed large extensions.

Can’t keep going through the draft. But, we still have 2 x firsts if one is dealt for Baker.

He tidies up our disposal, especially in the front half if we play him there, which is what I’m hoping we’d bring him in to do.

If we get McDonald do we have a forward line next year of:
Freddy Treacy Walters
McDonald Amiss Jackson.

Or do we go
Freddy Treacy Walters
McDonald Amiss Emmett.

Send Jackson to ruck full time and, dare I say it, trade Darcy.
First 5 rounds this year should have put the “Jackson is a #1 ruck” to bed forever, he’s still suffering from the battering of going up against the gorilla rucks full time, he needs to spend more time forward and get his marking/goal kicking back up to the level required.

Interesting question - what is Andrew Brayshaw worth in salary terms?
He’s going to want at least $1m a season at least for probably 6 years.
Is that too much?
I think he’s gone backwards quite a bit from his AA winning year unfortunately. More of a third banana now in the midfield rotation.
He’s not going backwards. He’s sacrificing his game for the sake of team success. For all the talk of Serong playing forward in his draft year, he is very much a one position player, in that he does his clearly best work in the middle. Young still has so much room for growth in the middle, so maximum time spent there is good for the team and the future. Fyfe is back, and a weapon to be used. Something’s gotta give and Andy is the most versatile and (I would argue; more than a few would disagree) most damaging on the outside. E.g he regularly is among the highest in score involvements despite no longer getting as much of it. He can run the wing and his awareness and decision making gets it inside 50. People are crying out for goal kicking mids, and not only is he our best in that regard but he is backing himself in to take the shot from inside 50. He’s not quite nailing them but it’s refreshing to see him doing it when so many others are always passing the responsibility to someone else.

Easy worth paying what he’s worth because Fyfe won’t be around forever and he’ll slot straight back in just when Young has finished his apprenticeship and playing the see-ball-get-ball role full time.

PS any doubts about whether Brayshaw can win the ball at the center should have been put to bed by that immense effort in the third where he tore himself out of the grip of two tacklers, burst out of the circle and sent it inside 50 (or that’s how it looked at the ground. I’m still euphoric so details are hazy)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't necessarily disagree with what others are saying about Baker. I'm just imagining turning all that draft capital into something like Wanganeen-Milera & Bobby Hill level players who can be useful in their first year and grow alongside all the other under 25's.
If we can bring Baker in and still have a decent swing at a couple of those types I'll be happy.

Our side is so young, Warmer and Baker who are both below 26 but seasoned veterans is a no brainer

Brayshaw needs to make his kicking at least reasonable. Not sure if the injury he has been carrying has stopped him from practicing his kicking, but it has been worse this year than recent years. He is a good HF but needs to kick better.

Footy is a game of moments, metres and class. Less than half our inside fifties in an absolute belting turned into scores against Richmond. We need to add someone to the chain who has the class to gather it smooth and use it so we retain it.

To put it another way, we only need a player to have one more moment of composure per half of footy this year and we are undefeated this season. I don't think we lose to WC coming in with wins against Port and Carlton.

Baker is a clean player. He will make good decisions when he has the ball. He might be only a B Grade player but he will make everyone else look better too.

The exact opposite of a player who burns the hard work of his team unable to hit a loose player in the pocket.

I don't think Freo has to pay $800k for him either, we can offer him a contract until retirement knowing he isn't going to live in a rebuild for four or five years.

He makes the most of his moments

Footy is a game of moments, metres and class. Less than half our inside fifties in an absolute belting turned into scores against Richmond. We need to add someone to the chain who has the class to gather it smooth and use it so we retain it.

To put it another way, we only need a player to have one more moment of composure per half of footy this year and we are undefeated this season. I don't think we lose to WC coming in with wins against Port and Carlton.

Baker is a clean player. He will make good decisions when he has the ball. He might be only a B Grade player but he will make everyone else look better too.

The exact opposite of a player who burns the hard work of his team unable to hit a loose player in the pocket.

I don't think Freo has to pay $800k for him either, we can offer him a contract until retirement knowing he isn't going to live in a rebuild for four or five years.

He makes the most of his moments

He also seems like a bit of a prick which will come in handy

Baker is reasonable but I just don’t value him worthy of a R1 pick. I think most of the interest on this board is because he is the only player that is feasibly available to us. If it wasn’t for that I don’t think anyone would be suggesting we “have” to get him.

Aish, Clark level trades are the price I have on Baker, he’s that level of player, stays fit, decent role player, better than a bunch on our list, sure. Will never be AA, not a top shelf mid or small fwd, the need for him is low.

I want Warner and multiple shots at R1 small/med fwds.

Baker is reasonable but I just don’t value him worthy of a R1 pick. I think most of the interest on this board is because he is the only player that is feasibly available to us. If it wasn’t for that I don’t think anyone would be suggesting we “have” to get him.

Aish, Clark level trades are the price I have on Baker, he’s that level of player, stays fit, decent role player, better than a bunch on our list, sure. Will never be AA, not a top shelf mid or small fwd, the need for him is low.

I want Warner and multiple shots at R1 small/med fwds.
Warner is contracted. That’s 2 firsts min to get Sydney to even sit down.
Baker like most of the Richmond players had an average game.
Prior to today his last 4 games were his best 4 game streak in his career stats wise.
He is exactly what we need as a quality high HF to finish off the work inside 50.

Prior to today his last 4 games were his best 4 game streak in his career stats wise.
He is exactly what we need as a quality high HF to finish off the work inside 50.
We'd pay the 2 firsts without blinking.

The hard part would be convincing Chad to come and the Swans into letting him go.

We basically arent playing a crumbing small forward at the moment because we dont have one outside Delean. Walters can not move well enough to crumb consistently and Emmett is basically a defensive forward costing us several goals a game. Baker will be a massive upgrade on Emmett, like, by a long long way. Then we just need an actual crumbing classy small for Walters and that forwardline is humming

And I guess that’s where my opinion of him differs. This year I agree he has had a run of good games playing fwd, the best run of his career, but any suggestion he is one of the premier HFFs of the league is well off the mark.

He would be better than Emmett and arguably Walters/Switta but we are hardly talking about premier small fwds in that bunch.

I think deep down we know we aren’t getting Warner no matter what we offer which is why there is so much interest in Baker.

We basically arent playing a crumbing small forward at the moment because we dont have one outside Delean. Walters can not move well enough to crumb consistently and Emmett is basically a defensive forward costing us several goals a game. Baker will be a massive upgrade on Emmett, like, by a long long way. Then we just need an actual crumbing classy small for Walters and that forwardline is humming

Yes of course he’s an upgrade on Emmett but as a small fwd he is a downgrade on Schultz. So we are going to give up the trade win of Schultz to get a lesser player in the position we need most improvement in. To put it in perspective think of how everyone is bagging Schultz this year and Schultz has still kicked more goals than Baker.

Seems like a strange decision to me but like I said he is the only one available who remotely fills the void and we are in need so I guess we cough up.

Back