Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If you consider McKay a good player, last year.

He left a basket case though.

Who was the last player to leave a strong side or a side on the up purely for dollars and didn't care about success?

Because that's what people are suggesting about Hardwick and North.

Hearing some whispers from a reliable source this morning that Blake Hardwick is looking more likely than not to be leaving us at the end of the year. He's chasing cash and it really depends if we want to stump up or not.
Would it be enough to unlock a 1st round compo pick?

You’d just trade for battle to note dilute the pick. If we got Band 1 and battle chose us, you split the pick and trade one for smith and the other for battle. Saints are still up in that scenario. Win win.

I personally wouldn’t do that. I would bring battle in as a FA. Match Norths contract terms for Hardwick. As it will either make Hardwick reconsider and stay or force a trade with North, both out comes are a win”win for us. In that situation.

The saints would want a lot for Battle in a trade.

I personally wouldn’t do that. I would bring battle in as a FA. Match Norths contract terms for Hardwick. As it will either make Hardwick reconsider and stay or force a trade with North, both out comes are a win”win for us. In that situation.

The saints would want a lot for Battle in a trade.
I understand Battle is a FA

There's approximately 1 player left on our list that would go to North to play under Clarko, and that's Harry. I've heard it from pretty good sources that the early handover was driven pretty unanimously by the young guys in the group.

That's not to say we won't have players who leave, but I can almost guarantee that if they do it won't be to North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beggers probably end up with the first three picks this year (priority pick and zurhaar compo) in a mid heavy draft

If Hardwick wanted out to them then you would match the offer and trade our FF plus Hardwick for pick 2 or 3.

Split our pick 6ish with GC for their two firsts (they get inside a bid on Lombard) and flick on the later pick to Dogs for Smith. Sign Battle as UFA

We end up with Smith, Battle, pick 2/3 and pick 10ish. Pick up Finn and one of the Whitlock boys.

Can't see Dimma wanting North and won't happen but not the worst result really.

Think neutral fans would say Amon

He was heading home to Victoria though.

My point is that money alone doesn't just drive players to switch clubs anymore. Culture and success counts for far more than it used to.

Hardwick requesting a trade to North Melbourne because of a bit of extra cash would absolutely stun me.

Beggers probably end up with the first three picks this year (priority pick and zurhaar compo) in a mid heavy draft

If Hardwick wanted out to them then you would match the offer and trade our FF plus Hardwick for pick 2 or 3.

Split our pick 6ish with GC for their two firsts (they get inside a bid on Lombard) and flick on the later pick to Dogs for Smith. Sign Battle as UFA

We end up with Smith, Battle, pick 2/3 and pick 10ish. Pick up Finn and one of the Whitlock boys.

Can't see Dimma wanting North and won't happen but not the worst result really.
Todd Viney came out the other day and said they won’t be asking for a priority pick.

He was heading home to Victoria though.

My point is that money alone doesn't just drive players to switch clubs anymore. Culture and success counts for far more than it used to.

Hardwick requesting a trade to North Melbourne because of a bit of extra cash would absolutely stun me.
There are 10 vic teams that he could’ve chosen. No player is going to openly say they left purely for the money, there’s always going to be another reason to justify why they chose the club ie. it’s because of the security of a long term contract, wants to play in their preferred position, the potential to join the leadership group, belief in the project etc etc.

There's approximately 1 player left on our list that would go to North to play under Clarko, and that's Harry. I've heard it from pretty good sources that the early handover was driven pretty unanimously by the young guys in the group.

That's not to say we won't have players who leave, but I can almost guarantee that if they do it won't be to North.

Without betraying confidences or throwing someone under the bus - what were the main gripes?

Game plan?

Man-Management?

Thanks mate

I don’t think Dimma will leave either but the club I think should be trying are the Lions, they don’t have that good small defender and lost the GF last year because of it.
You would think that he would leave for a club in the premiership window. And one that would play him as a forward. Norf seems a bizarre destination other than as a highly paid replacement for Cam Z.

Without betraying confidences or throwing someone under the bus - what were the main gripes?

Game plan?

Man-Management?

Thanks mate

You know how all these relatively successful footy clubs of the last few years have been embracing positivity and bringing the fun back to footy for the players and staff?

We weren't doing that.

You can only be a disciplinarian for so long before the message wears thin... Especially when you aren't getting results.

You would think that he would leave for a club in the premiership window. And one that would play him as a forward. Norf seems a bizarre destination other than as a highly paid replacement for Cam Z.
Makes no sense at all. If we lose any wanted players, it will be to a contender. Not to a worse side for more money. We have shitloads of money to spare and won’t lose players for that reason.

Can I go probably too early for a wish-list?

Mac Andrew - solves our KPD issues for 10 years. Will become an excellent player. 20 yrs old 202 cm. Never kicked a goal.
Has significant baggage but will back Hawthorn in. OOC 2025

Eddie Ford - Honestly, this guy can play. In a rabble of a team with zero training standards or discipline. Gunston replacement. 21 yrs old, 189 cm 24.8 goals in 28 games. Huge upside. OOC at end of year.

Max Gruzewski - a very promising key forward - behind a fair few guys and would get more opportunity here. Kicked 13.8 in the VFL this season. Still only 19. Under Contact though.

Ford should be easy to do - Andrew, well GCS will want a player not a pick I'd have thought, so could be an issue. Max - you'd think a selection of picks would get this done, depending on how hard a bargain GWS drive.

Any one of these 3 would solve a problem, 2 would be a dream - all 3, and that's the perfect trade period right there.

Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back