Position 2024 Fantasy Rucks

How much impact will R0 have on determining your RUCK combo ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 0 sees the clash of "MATES"...... well former team mates at least GRUNDY vs GAWN. The massive plan of tag teaming Grundy with Gawn was a much heralded fail.

From a Fantasy perspective, we don't care how much Collingwood was paying of Grundy's salary, or even if any of that goes to Sydney now. We just want a durable ruck who can give a viable alternative to English or Marshall at a fraction of the cost. We are bargain hunting here! So we look first at last season:

1704599846909.png

Then Grundy's output the season before (2022):
1704599987342.png

And for good measure, the season before that (2021):
1704600165465.png

It's not a particularly deep dive. Impacts the big Cox and Darcy Cameron has had on his output could be looked at as well, but I doubt it will have a material effect on the following question:

If you are considering Brodie Grundy for your Fantasy side, what do you need to see from him in the Mates Showdown in Sydney between Grundy and Gawn on Thursday March 7th?

Last edited:
Content warning: Tom Morris on screen (can’t believe he is failing upwards)

Anyway, interesting news about English, was concerned when I heard it but the clip says he’ll be right for round 1 but he’s two weeks away from returning to training. Not removing him from my team just yet…. I went too cute with the rucks last year and it cost me dearly

Last edited:

View attachment 1887914

Just cut him from my team FFS.
He can plait his pubes for all I care if he can knock a few tons out in the first 6 rounds.....
200.gif

grundy will average about 85 imo. discarded from the pies, discarded from the dees. he hasn't played good footy for years. Got smashed by the essendon rucks when he was solo rucking. I'm reluctant
Averaged 100.25 without Gawn last year including that game which was a score of 85. Essendons rucks were one of the hardest to score against last year as well

grundy will average about 85 imo. discarded from the pies, discarded from the dees. he hasn't played good footy for years. Got smashed by the essendon rucks when he was solo rucking. I'm reluctant
Averaged 100.25 without Gawn last year including that game which was a score of 85. Essendons rucks were one of the hardest to score against last year as well
Off the top of my head, Grundy averaged something like 93 in his last year with Collingwood when he got injured. I think 100 is more likely than 85 given he'll likely be sole ruck but I would be happy with 95.

yeah but he's just not that good. he'll get a few weeks until Longmire realises that they'll have to try something different. He's lost his mobility.

You seen Sydney’s rucks? They don’t exactly have anyone else that’s ready and capable
We’ve got Peter Ladh…

Yeah you’re right it’s Grundy or bust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah but he's just not that good. he'll get a few weeks until Longmire realises that they'll have to try something different. He's lost his mobility.

Well the small SCG will suit him more than bigger grounds.

Currently starting with Grundy and Xeri with a cheap bench ruck, Conway maybe.

The top rucks often take a hit on price early on as players take weeks to build match fitness and get going.

Sweet at Port could be a good cash cow.

Last edited:
evidence? I'm a dees fan. it's called the eye test. Maybe being cut from 2 teams in 2 years is pretty strong evidence mate.
I understand from the eye test, why you'd suggest Grundy played poorly .....and the numbers support your case, when compared to those of Jackson, who was also in a similar situation, paired with Shrek at FREO

However, being cut from two teams in two years, was more about Contract Philosophy at COLL ....easing the TPP, to enable the recruitment of players COLL deemed important
And at MELB ....the pairing with Gawn was obviously never going to work ....and it appears mentally, Grundy did not enjoy the season as a FWD

But this is a numbers game, and we can only judge Grundy on the games he solo rucked at MELB .....a 102 ave without Gawn, and you could argue, being so early in the season ....he was still unfamiliar with teammates and gameplan .....which could also indicate a slower start at SYD as well ?????

But a $102 ave for $677K ....still represents great value

1705870668958.png

I'm finding it interesting, Coaches picking Xerri ....great value, but not that much cheaper than Grundy ($97K)

Xerri is the great unknown .... 33 games, with a season ave last year of 66

After his early season average, Xerri bounced back with a 117 game, then a 74, 85, 85 .....then tailed off again

I'm dubious, has he the physical staying power, to make 1) enough money as a bargain buy 2) match it with the big boys with a 90 ave (24 point ave upside)

It's very speculative IMO

I'm finding it interesting, Coaches picking Xerri ....great value, but not that much cheaper than Grundy ($97K)

Xerri is the great unknown .... 33 games, with a season ave last year of 66

After his early season average, Xerri bounced back with a 117 game, then a 74, 85, 85 .....then tailed off again

I'm dubious, has he the physical staying power, to make 1) enough money as a bargain buy 2) match it with the big boys with a 90 ave (24 point ave upside)

It's very speculative IMO
I think the fact he’s sole ruck with no competition is probably one of the main factors.

In those two games where Goldy didn’t ruck and he was solo, he went 110 and 74. The 74 was against Reeves who’s been known to be constrictive.

That was all straight after a major leg injury to a bloke of his size so minimal prep. I think it shows he has a good 20 points or so value in him. Whether that’s enough to keep up with the likes of Grundy and Gawn is an unknown. I’m toying with starting him but comes with a lot more risk as not a great deal to pivot to if he doesn’t work out

I think the fact he’s sole ruck with no competition is probably one of the main factors.

In those two games where Goldy didn’t ruck and he was solo, he went 110 and 74. The 74 was against Reeves who’s been known to be constrictive.

That was all straight after a major leg injury to a bloke of his size so minimal prep. I think it shows he has a good 20 points or so value in him. Whether that’s enough to keep up with the likes of Grundy and Gawn is an unknown. I’m toying with starting him but comes with a lot more risk as not a great deal to pivot to if he doesn’t work out
What's your thoughts on Flynn?

evidence? I'm a dees fan. it's called the eye test. Maybe being cut from 2 teams in 2 years is pretty strong evidence mate.
Cut from the pies because they realised they invested too much in a role that typically isnt required to win premierships, and he asked to leave the dees because he was competing for games with the captain of the club. He is a ruckman, not a forward.
Doesnt scream washed up to me, he just went to probably the worst club he could have gone to for 2023.
Cut from 2 teams is the wrong wording

Grundy and Xerri is the combo I like the most at the moment. English and Marshall both so expensive and been injured in preseason. Gawn age slightly concerns me, I prefer him in SC than AF.
I think the free look at Round Zero will be telling

Thats my plan atm. Fair chance Xeri goes up in value and the premium rucks fall.

Use Xeri as a price rising upgrade option as soon as the premium rucks drip in price and then start hitting form.

Back