Preview 2023 Fixture - hopes, dreams, dreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Sorry I hadn't seen a thread, was curious as to what peoples thoughts were for our fixture 2023.

I'm hoping for a couple of games at the G, preferably against a big 4 as I want to head over next year.

Be hoping for a few decent Friday night games (unlikely) and even a Thursday night game.

The inevitable Double up against Port could prove useful this year but I'd be hoping that the home games we get include Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon, mainly as they pull big crowds and TV audiences.

Game in Perth would be mice against the Dockers, another i wouldn't mind getting over too.

What are others thoughts?

Likely dreads

Bullies in Ballarat
Horks in Tassie
GWS in ACT
Someone (Dees?) in NT and/or Saints in Cairns
and Cats in Geelong
1 or 2 games in Perth

basically a pretty ****** up fixture all round but will contain more games against bottom 6 teams and the Power double up.

After only one Prime time (Thu/Fri night) this year - the double header Friday night Power showdown - I think we will get a stand-alone Friday night Showdowin this year for the first time. Probably our only Thu or Fri night game. We will ask for 3 MCG games and likely get one.

Likely dreads

Bullies in Ballarat
Horks in Tassie
GWS in ACT
and Cats in Geelong
1 or 2 games in Perth

basically a pretty ****** up fixture all round but will contain more games against bottom 6 teams and the Power double up.

After only one Prime time (Thu/Fri night) this year - the double header Friday night Power showdown - I think we will get a stand-alone Friday night Showdowin this year for the first time. Probably our only Thu or Fri night game. We will ask for 3 MCG games and likely get one.

The Friday night Showdown was our home game in the Men's season.

It was Port's home game for the Women's season.

Likely dreads

Bullies in Ballarat
Horks in Tassie
GWS in ACT
and Cats in Geelong
1 or 2 games in Perth

I might head to the Ballarat match.

Shorter drive and you get to go to sovereign Hill.

Sorry I hadn't seen a thread, was curious as to what peoples thoughts were for our fixture 2023.

I'm hoping for a couple of games at the G, preferably against a big 4 as I want to head over next year.

Be hoping for a few decent Friday night games (unlikely) and even a Thursday night game.

The inevitable Double up against Port could prove useful this year but I'd be hoping that the home games we get include Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon, mainly as they pull big crowds and TV audiences.

Game in Perth would be mice against the Dockers, another i wouldn't mind getting over too.

What are others thoughts?

So our double ups will be -

One of Geelong, Sydney, Brisbane, Collingwood, Melbourne, Fremantle

One of Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Carlton, St Kilda, Gold Coast plus Port

Two of Hawthorn, Essendon, GWS, West Coast and North Melbourne

Given we have 12 games at Adelaide Oval, of our 10 games we are likely to play a minimum one in each of WA, Qld and NSW. You would think we are going to Tasmania (either against Hawks or Kangaroos).

Doubt we would play again in Geelong but who knows and we are bound to play two of the second group in Melbourne, possibly 3 as one is likely to be a double up (given 4 of the 5 sides are Victorian based).

Hopefully we will get 4/5 games in Melbourne.

If there’s an extra round wonder how that impacts the spread of double ups from recent formula.

It is currently as a bottom 6 you play 2 other bottom 6, 2 mid 6 and 1 top 6.

Could it become an even 2 from each zone as the most fixture equality option? Probably should

Or do they maximize blockbusters with each team playing 3 from their own zone, this could really benefit mid table teams as the top 6 get that extra hard draw.

So our double ups will be -

One of Geelong, Sydney, Brisbane, Collingwood, Melbourne, Fremantle

One of Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Carlton, St Kilda, Gold Coast plus Port

Two of Hawthorn, Essendon, GWS, West Coast and North Melbourne

Given we have 12 games at Adelaide Oval, of our 10 games we are likely to play a minimum one in each of WA, Qld and NSW. You would think we are going to Tasmania (either against Hawks or Kangaroos).

Doubt we would play again in Geelong but who knows and we are bound to play two of the second group in Melbourne, possibly 3 as one is likely to be a double up (given 4 of the 5 sides are Victorian based).

Hopefully we will get 4/5 games in Melbourne.

If we want the best possible chance of winning our double ups need to be Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Fremantle

If we want a good draft pick, pray for Geelong, Richmond, Port Adelaide, GWS and West Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has mentioned it will be released towards end of November/early December.
I think it's due to the Tasmania side of things.

Once that's been dealt with, the Tasmanian government can decide whether to pull out of AFL altogether (if AFL doesnt give them a team) or continue the contracts to fill the gap while they wait for them to join (if AFL does give them a team)

Then once that contract is dealt with, the AFL can go ahead and release the fixture. Also gives them time to sort out Magic round (whether it's Adelaide or Sydney.)

I'd say 2-3 weeks after Tassie announcement tbh.

the less sunday twilight games the better.. worst time slot.
If we've upset the AFL by stealing Rankine, you can bet on us having too many death slot games for our liking. A vindictive lot at AFL House and they can do that to you, and give you the best teams in each bracket of the double ups, plus sending you to far away games in country centres, like a game against Geelong at Kardinia Park, Gold Coast in Cairns, double trips to Perth, GWS in Canberra, Dogs in Ballarat, we could get a clean sweep of crap away games plus only one MCG game but against then it's against Richmond and their army.

As the netballers are finding out when their pay cheques stop, don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Then again the AFL might go easy on us, because they like us :)

Likely dreads

Bullies in Ballarat
Horks in Tassie
GWS in ACT
and Cats in Geelong
1 or 2 games in Perth

Carlton in Melbourne.

Will be another 11 years before we get Carlton at home after derailing their Finals tilt.

sunday-monster.gif
Nothing but sunday afternoon timeslots. Cept when we take on the top end of the ladder, then a slightly better timeslot so the blow in fans can watch their teams pump us.

If we want the best possible chance of winning our double ups need to be Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Fremantle

If we want a good draft pick, pray for Geelong, Richmond, Port Adelaide, GWS and West Coast
Reckon you’ve got Freo and West Coast in the wrong groups. I’d think we’re more chance of beating WC than Freo.

Reckon you’ve got Freo and West Coast in the wrong groups. I’d think we’re more chance of beating WC than Freo.
He's basing it on the way the fixture works.

Freo isn't fighting with West Coast.

For best wins he's gone with top 6: Freo, middle 6: Port, St Kilda, bottom 6: North, Hawks
For draft pick he's gone with top 6: Geelong, middle 6: Richmond, Port, bottom 6: GWS and West Coast

And I 100% agree with Scorpus for this reasoning. Though, I guess we could replace St Kilda with Essendon. But that's 6 of one, half a dozen of the ohter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back