No Oppo Supporters 2022 Season - Season in review

Remove this Banner Ad

If the ultimate goal is sustained success with multiple premierships in the next decade, then this year was a step in the right direction.

The problem is that it was a slightly shorter step than we were hoping for.

Development isn't linear. Nor are the steps teams take to premiership success. Sometime they seem to stall or go slightly backwards before taking a huge leap forward. The huge leap forward is only really possible because of the previous year.

I think judging this year on its own is problematic. Need to take a holistic view.

I think this was a stalled year, but will be crucial to a large jump next year. If this happens and we are top 4, then this to year hasn't been a failure if it instills a fire in the belly of a few of our underperformers to get fitter. Or if leads to cutting away some dead wood.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Huge disappointment, but stalled? No.

The kids got game time - plenty more than expected, all the newcomers performed.

We got Marchy back playing!

Doc overcome his health woes - almost miraculously!

Cotters and LOB showed a fair bit (though more sold on the redhead than Lochie).

Our guy won the Coleman.

Crippa was back to his best, or even better, at the start of the season.

No team gels without playing consistently together - our team rarely got that opportunity.

Do we have weaknesses? Of course, but who doesn't....

We lost to the Dees and the Pies by millimetres, with half a midfield missing. On the big stage, with very few of our lads having ever experienced the finals type atmosphere....

Q3 of Sunday's game showcased our best - and the Pies were utterly powerless to stop that....learn to do that for 2 quarters and they'll be left in our dust for years hence...

Alas, some bad decisions (from a few players and a few umpires) in Q4 cost us the game.

A bitter pill. But learn they will.

I'm formulating a new Theory of Everything Football, based on the idea that it's pressure all the way down. It becomes a lot easier to express and understand footy strategy if you look at it through a pressure-centric framework. Put another way, the aim is to minimise pressure on your players while maximizing pressure on the opposition. It is a slightly different definition of pressure - cutting off all viable options for an opponent and forcing a long kick down the line is pressure.

At the risk of sounding like an academic loon, footy's going through a strategic revolution but the language hasn't caught up. It's awkward expressing what's become basic footy strategy. "Collingwood is happy to lose the clearances as they set up to win the next contest after the clearance".

If you look at it through the lens of pressure, it becomes: "Collingwood is happy to source opposition pressure at the contest because they set up to sink it at the next contest".

Back in my hole I go...
I actually love it. It makes a lot of sense from a footballing perspective, and allows one to view Richmond through that lens instead of traditional footy language being unable to adequately depict how they won three premierships.

Think the cleanest example of what you're seeing is this incarnation of Fremantle, whose desire to close off first and second options has been so visible it's being discussed by commentators on radio, if not TV.

I actually love it. It makes a lot of sense from a footballing perspective, and allows one to view Richmond through that lens instead of traditional footy language being unable to adequately depict how they won three premierships.

Not to be a wet blanket but there is nothing revolutionary in the strategy - it is called placing numbers at the intended destination in preference to placing numbers at the contest - Malthouse was playing this strategy back when he was coaching Collingwood.

Both Collingwood and Richmond ( remember where the coach of Collingwood came from) like to play a rebound game where they play extra(s) behind the contests in order to catch the opposition on the rebound - with extra numbers.

Voss's strategy is win the contest and use the weight of forward fifty entry numbers to kick a winning score - a tempting strategy as he has both Charlie and Harry as marking weapons - what he hasn't had is a third tall or small forwards capable of finding space and avoiding the stacked numbers on Charlie ort Harry - who can kick a goal - SOJ's major flaw when he isn't pretending to be a ruckman.

It would be nice to see the team learn to use both strategies depending on the situation ( like Geelong and Melbourne do) - eg in the Melbourne and Collingwood losses - no excuses for not stacking the defensive half with all the players for the last 3 minutes - there was absolutely no need to score to win either game all that was needed was to get and maintain possession.

If the ultimate goal is sustained success with multiple premierships in the next decade, then this year was a step in the right direction.

The problem is that it was a slightly shorter step than we were hoping for.

Development isn't linear. Nor are the steps teams take to premiership success. Sometime they seem to stall or go slightly backwards before taking a huge leap forward. The huge leap forward is only really possible because of the previous year.

I think judging this year on its own is problematic. Need to take a holistic view.

I think this was a stalled year, but will be crucial to a large jump next year. If this happens and we are top 4, then this to year hasn't been a failure if it instills a fire in the belly of a few of our underperformers to get fitter. Or if leads to cutting away some dead wood.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
See, I think by looking at 'multiple flags' instead of a singular success criteria for each season, you wind up making the same mistake as those revising 'success' down. Success in an AFL context is one premiership; you need no more success than that to be successful.

When I say that you need look at each year as a success or failure as the ultimate grading, you are not grading yourself by that success/failure mark. It's not a value judgement. People read pass/fail as value all the time, when what is, is feedback. Feedback also cannot stand alone: why did we not win a flag this year? Where did we fall short? Will we see improvement in all parts, or do we need look elsewhere for an improvement source (whether coaching, development, rehab, cattle)?

Everything is not devalued by the failure grade, but it is coloured by it. Acknowledgement of that failure is absolutely vital, and should always sit at any centre of holistic analysis.

Yes, we failed, but that is not all that happened. We have every reason to lead with our chin going forward, and every reason to get our noses to the grindstone.

That is the upsetting, shattered crystaline beauty of what happened on Sunday: that there is no escaping the failure of a) losing to Collingwood, b) being in the 8 all weeks except the final week, c) after being 24 points up in the final term, d) after being 5 points up with less than a minute left, d) with clear lapses at different times of the season, e) to be kicked out on percentage.

Sunday was the ultimate of tragedies, and the ultimate of motivators.

Not to be a wet blanket but there is nothing revolutionary in the strategy - it is called placing numbers at the intended destination in preference to placing numbers at the contest - Malthouse was playing this strategy back when he was coaching Collingwood.

Both Collingwood and Richmond ( remember where the coach of Collingwood came from) like to play a rebound game where they play extra(s) behind the contests in order to catch the opposition on the rebound - with extra numbers.

Voss's strategy is win the contest and use the weight of forward fifty entry numbers to kick a winning score - a tempting strategy as he has both Charlie and Harry as marking weapons - what he hasn't had is a third tall or small forwards capable of finding space and avoiding the stacked numbers on Charlie ort Harry - who can kick a goal - SOJ's major flaw when he isn't pretending to be a ruckman.

It would be nice to see the team learn to use both strategies depending on the situation ( like Geelong and Melbourne do) - eg in the Melbourne and Collingwood losses - no excuses for not stacking the defensive half with all the players for the last 3 minutes - there was absolutely no need to score to win either game all that was needed was to get and maintain possession.
I agree that it's been done before, but the language to describe it hasn't evolved yet; largely due to punditry being the place where they put the ex-footballers who a) have the face recognition or b) no other skillset beyond footy and aren't good enough to go into admin or a football department.

Analysis - funnily enough, considering how much s**t we talk sometimes on here - is left to us to do, because they've abandoned it.

How did collingwood manage top 4 then?

We keep making excuses.

Love Vossy, think we are on the right track. I just hate excuses and defeatist attitudes.

Not a jab at you
So, a decade of making finals under Buckley, then finishing 17 and bouncing back like champions to finish top 4 is a outlier?

How about the off-field turmoil that embroiled the club last year took it's toll on performances... last year?

Maybe Buckley was good as a motivator, but not that good as a coach and now they have a coach who has taken them the extra step? Or maybe, they have a bunch of guys who have been together for a number of years who under a new coach, pulled one out of the hat and said lets go.

How about looking at Geelong... last year people were saying that we'd be the ones replacing them in the 8 as they were looking like starting to slide. How did they end up as the minor premiers this year? Everyone thought that Melbourne was going to romp that one in after their start, then they fell off towards the end of the year.

Age and experience will always beat youth and exuberance.

Ultimately a failure but a bit of an asterisk.

Our double ups were against 3x Top 8 sides and 1 bottom 10 side - that's a moderately tough draw.

Injuries were an issue, but at the same time many of those players are guys we've recruited who had prior injury history. That's kind of on us.

Depth has improved. Aside from a tumultuous last month our resilience seems to be on the up. Baseline performance is better - I suspect under Teague we would have lost plenty of those close games, and tbh I would have hated seeing how we'd have matched up against better sides we'd beaten under him.

No excuses next year however. The gameplan needs to become more balanced, but we will be held in good stead by getting games into the likes of Motlop, Durdin, Carroll, Stocker, Kemp - for whatever few outings they'd collectively managed. We saw the impact of AFL exposure for Freo players in 2021 to see their trajectory in 2022.

Still too much uncertainty about our best set of wings and our best combination of key forwards and ruckman going forward. Hopefully this is partly addressed over the off-season and with some more experience and maturity TDK can go a step further to becoming a 1st ruckman.

There is not one season where we finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th where I have not felt it was a failure to win the flag.
That's football. Premierships are not easy to win but that is really the only success that counts to me.
It's a failure to win the flag but hardly a failure of a season. The Geelong football club hasn't been a failure for the last 5-6 years.

It's a failure to win the flag but hardly a failure of a season. The Geelong football club hasn't been a failure for the last 5-6 years.
Yeah, it is 10 years straight of failed premiership campaigns for Cats. This is the year they need to nail it before their older players are shot.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is 10 years straight of failed premiership campaigns for Cats. This is the year they need to nail it before their older players are shot.
yeah - we exist to win premierships. We would be equally as ropeable if the round 23 result was repeated during finals.

We are at the point now that our list is talented and developed (not at its peak, but clearly well progressed) so that next year, not winning 17 should be considered a failed season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Martin missed 10 games
  • McGovern missed 15
  • Williams missed 13
  • Marchbank 18
  • Pittonet 14
  • Cuningham season
  • honey we barely got him going before he did a calf
  • Weiters missed 5 and was not the same when back
  • Saad clearly hampered. Walsh the same
  • Hewett missed 7
  • Kennedy missed 5
  • Boyd missed the last 8
  • McKay missed 3 but was hampered before and seems to be having shoulder problems again
  • Newman missed the last 4 (went off first half v Adelaide)
  • stocker and TDk missed months of the preseason (and it showed)
  • Cerra missed 4 games

If you compare this injury list with last year and leaving out Honey and Boyd (very much WIP players), Hewett and Cerra (weren't on the list) and Stocker and TDK (as I seem to recall both missed large chunks of last preseason as well) our lost games for the remainder were only marginally better than last year. This season that collective missed a combined total of 109 games, last season it was 105 games.

But you can add to this list lost games for the 2021 season of JSOS 7, Charlie 18, Doch 8 and Fisher 12. That's 45 games lost by 4 players who, I'm pretty sure, played all games this season.

We also had 15 players this season who played 18 games or more.

Interestingly in 2021 5 of our 14 losses were by 25 points or less, this year 5 of our 12 wins were also by 25 points or less. Last year we won 4 games out of 10 after the bye with the axe hovering over the heads of the coaching staff. This year we won 4 of 11 after the bye whilst the coaching staff had the full support of the club and fans.

In the prediction thread at the start of the season I said that, for me, 12 wins was a minimum given the inclusion of Cerra and Hewett but also said I would have expected the same had we not changed our coaches.

So, I guess we met my minimum expectation but I have to say that I would have reviewed that expectation when we were 8 wins out of 10 and, for mine with that start, 4 wins out of the last 12 games adds up to a failure whichever way I look at it despite any excuse offered.

During the Teague debate last year I said that our problems were more list related than coach related and IMO our performance his year has re-inforced this. Despite the inclusion of Cerra, Hewett and Young our improvement is, at best, incremental.

This looms as a fascinating trade and list management period and it's very likely that a number of favourites in here are no longer at the club next year.

yeah - we exist to win premierships. We would be equally as ropeable if the round 23 result was repeated during finals.

We are at the point now that our list is talented and developed (not at its peak, but clearly well progressed) so that next year, not winning 17 should be considered a failed season.
I agree. I think this year achieved what it needed to. We were not going to win the premiership this year. We know our best is good enough. We just need an extra player or two, a bit more development and another off-season to harden the gameplan.
If we made finals this year, our target would have been Top 4 next year. The fact we didn't make finals in my mind does not change that.
Top 4 and an assault on the premiership is the bar for next year in my mind.

I agree. I think this year achieved what it needed to. We were not going to win the premiership this year. We know our best is good enough. We just need an extra player or two, a bit more development and another off-season to harden the gameplan.
If we made finals this year, our target would have been Top 4 next year. The fact we didn't make finals in my mind does not change that.
Top 4 and an assault on the premiership is the bar for next year in my mind.
Yes, this year I hoped for top 4 and fell short but injuries and immature line-up to nail a few games we had in our keeping cost us that.
If we had of made finals I think our form would have been similar of tease with how good we can be for a quarter and a bit but ultimately fall short of the Cats and Demons. All the other sides in finals I would have backed us in but we were not a premiership team this year.

Cats clearly will be a year older next year so I think they will not be a contender after this year for some time. I'm expecting to have a serious premiership tilt next year with our youngsters a year more experienced together and some improvement in a lot of the 21 to 26 year olds.
But first step is home and away season bedding down a top four spot and also within that aim to finish top two so we not risk away state finals v the types like Swans and Lions that will be up there again too. Melbourne will be the team to beat again next year imo.

If you compare this injury list with last year and leaving out Honey and Boyd (very much WIP players), Hewett and Cerra (weren't on the list) and Stocker and TDK (as I seem to recall both missed large chunks of last preseason as well) our lost games for the remainder were only marginally better than last year. This season that collective missed a combined total of 109 games, last season it was 105 games.

But you can add to this list lost games for the 2021 season of JSOS 7, Charlie 18, Doch 8 and Fisher 12. That's 45 games lost by 4 players who, I'm pretty sure, played all games this season.

We also had 15 players this season who played 18 games or more.

Interestingly in 2021 5 of our 14 losses were by 25 points or less, this year 5 of our 12 wins were also by 25 points or less. Last year we won 4 games out of 10 after the bye with the axe hovering over the heads of the coaching staff. This year we won 4 of 11 after the bye whilst the coaching staff had the full support of the club and fans.

In the prediction thread at the start of the season I said that, for me, 12 wins was a minimum given the inclusion of Cerra and Hewett but also said I would have expected the same had we not changed our coaches.

So, I guess we met my minimum expectation but I have to say that I would have reviewed that expectation when we were 8 wins out of 10 and, for mine with that start, 4 wins out of the last 12 games adds up to a failure whichever way I look at it despite any excuse offered.

During the Teague debate last year I said that our problems were more list related than coach related and IMO our performance his year has re-inforced this. Despite the inclusion of Cerra, Hewett and Young our improvement is, at best, incremental.

This looms as a fascinating trade and list management period and it's very likely that a number of favourites in here are no longer at the club next year.
The big difference is that last year the smallest losing margin was 14points. While we only got smashed in 1 games we never really looked like winning any of the games we lost. We were a long way off last year.

The big difference is that last year the smallest losing margin was 14points. While we only got smashed in 1 games we never really looked like winning any of the games we lost. We were a long way off last year.

We also didn't have Cerra, Hewett or a fit and firing Charlie. You rate as you wish.....that's just my reading.

I’m now thinking season was actually a failure.

Compared to 2021...

We traded Cerra and Hewett and Charlie returned from injury.

Plus our players got another preseason under their belts and were 1 year more experienced.

New coaching team with fresh ideas....

All we have to show for it is 4 extra games won.

150% on last year = failure....🤷‍♂️

if our percentage was 0.7% more is it still a failure even though 'all we have to show for it is 4 extra game won' and make the 8?
We scraped through too many of our wins. Weren’t all that convincing in some of those wins. Pretty poor against suns up here in Qld and also against crows and lions.

If we scraped through to finals we would have bombed out first game I reckon. experience would have been good but we fell away big time after halfway through season.

We really needed to be better with the talent we have.

I agree.
The current situation should suggest 2024 should be the time if it’s going to happen.

Next year must be a finals tilt (and hopefully win one), setting up for a shot the next 2-3 years after that.

A lot can happen though. If one or two of our critical players leave, etc.

But there’s a lot to work with. It must be a glass half full approach. I also believe a bitter taste of missing finals can be better than falling in then falling out Week 1 (though with Brisbane potentially missing a few, we would have been a shot).
I remember early in the year, Brian Cook did an interview for either Channel 9 or 10, and basically said it’ll take about 3 years to reach our peak. That’s how far behind we are coming from as a club. You can have all the talent in the world, but it doesn’t just change overnight, and there will be challenges to overcome. This is the first big one. I’m keen to see how Cooky, Voss, Sayers, Lloyd and co. deal with it

We scraped through too many of our wins. Weren’t all that convincing in some of those wins. Pretty poor against suns up here in Qld and also against crows and lions.

If we scraped through to finals we would have bombed out first game I reckon. experience would have been good but we fell away big time after halfway through season.

We really needed to be better with the talent we have.

The Filth scraped a few wins in the past 12 weeks as I recall
:p:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back