Unofficial Preview 2022 Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't MSD players go on the rookie list?, if so, then you could take someone for 6 months and then delist them if they are no good, they won't take up a senior list spot
The point is that the club don’t want to go down that path. Any kid they draft, they want to have as a long term prospect. It’s doing a disservice to any player to grab them for 6 months and then dump them, after that it becomes almost impossible for them to get a second chance at making an AFL list. Those short term contracts should be reserved for older VFL players who are stop gaps for lists that are short on a certain type because of injury. Hartley types, that can step in and play a role immediately if needed.

Those short term contracts should be reserved for older VFL players who are stop gaps for lists that are short on a certain type because of injury. Hartley types, that can step in and play a role immediately if needed.

And probably only by clubs that are finals bound eg Carlton with Sam Durdin.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think not giving someone an opportunity when you can is even more ruthless.
Is 10 vfl games with a view to delisting him an opportunity?

Sure you might occasionally draft really badly and decide after those 10 weeks that the bloke isn't going to make it, but unless you're going in with the attitude that this bloke will be on the list next year, you're not really giving him an opportunity.

Is 10 vfl games with a view to delisting him an opportunity?

Sure you might occasionally draft really badly and decide after those 10 weeks that the bloke isn't going to make it, but unless you're going in with the attitude that this bloke will be on the list next year, you're not really giving him an opportunity.
Who is he talking about?

Noone in particular, but the idea of drafting a kid in the MSD for only the rest of the year and then cutting him if he hasn't hit whatever the mark is for someone who spends 10 weeks on an AFL list.
Right….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still better than no opportunity
Disagree. The guys in the mid season draft would also have an opportunity to be drafted at the end of the year. If they get drafted mid year then delisted, that’s likely to be it for their careers. It’s a huge ask for them to be put in to an AFL environment with a state level preseason and prove themselves within a matter of weeks. Guys like Noble are the exception, not the norm.

3 weeks to get up to speed with the game plan , 3 weeks played out of position, 2 week played in the right position and did well, 2 weeks injured

Delist or retain?
End of last year. Begg and Johnson. Surely they should have been delisted under the midseason 10 week opportunity way of thinking.

Disagree. The guys in the mid season draft would also have an opportunity to be drafted at the end of the year. If they get drafted mid year then delisted, that’s likely to be it for their careers. It’s a huge ask for them to be put in to an AFL environment with a state level preseason and prove themselves within a matter of weeks. Guys like Noble are the exception, not the norm.
So 6 months time isn’t enough time for a draftee to impress but it’s enough time for every AFL recruiter to put a line through them?

I tend to agree that if you pick up a player in the MSD it should be with the expectation they can be at the club long term. I wouldn't want any less than an 18 month contract to properly develop and assess the player.

So 6 months time isn’t enough time for a draftee to impress but it’s enough time for every AFL recruiter to put a line through them?
It's not 6 months. It's 3. Draper has had way more time than a 6 month draftee midseason draftee gets. Would you consider us as having given him a shot if we axed him tomorrow for a non disciplinary reason?

I didn’t say it made sense, but that’s the way it tends to work.

I think not giving someone an opportunity when you can is even more ruthless.

I’d agree. Took a lot for me to front up at the club and volunteer myself for 1 of those vacancies. The rejection was devastatingly ruthless. We all move on though.

To make the most of any drafting opportunity a club should usually be going for the long term.
A new player gets a mandatory 2 years.
But I do think there are times when the 6 month contract would have merit (even if it amounts to 11 rounds perhaps + finals).

A club in finals contention could pick up that final piece.

Imagine gaining that ruck top up, an Alex Rance or McDonald-Tipunwatti like player for a flag tilt?
I know, fitness, eligibility- it’s a straw man.

I also reckon the club would have worked out a player like Kyle Martin in that time.

The short contract is easily extended.

Short v long contracts have merits. I tend to think the carrot of working towards a contract is good but some players don't want six months as it's too disruptive for family, partners and friends.

Carmichael nominated 18 months so under AFL contract laws, we are obligated to give him 18 months unless he breaks the contract agreement in some capacity. Few players do so we can safely rule that one out. Our plan with him is probably to play him in the VFL for three weeks, get the legs pumping in our game plan, then slide him into seniors.

Advantage of this is that we have hopefully unlocked the extra spice we need to make finals. A lot of our stars are returning in Rounds 14-18 for that tilt. It's optimistic but we know the AFL script writers clearly don't read what should happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back