List Mgmt. 2022 List Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Shannon a surprise, but good stuff focusing on studies. Must've been a big decision considering the salary rise. Hopefully not lost to the game and Shannon returns at some stage in the future, has a lot of potential.
Hopefully it's just a result of the next season coming around quickly. It could be as simple as she has an important uni placement during that period that she needs to prioritise. The article says it is temporary so it might be a 1 season thing.

But nothing surprising with the rest of the list. Seems like we will have a decent draft haul this year or need to find some state league free agents.

Looking forward to how we manage the losses of TLR and Phillips. Others might think they are just so-so players, but their output for us won't be easy to replace, especially TLR. Basically our #1 and #2 around the ground. Very fit players who can contest all day, we can only hope that some from within step into the void. Who has the tank? Stevens must be a shot you'd think.

DMTCLRMGCPi50T50SI
Lucas-Rodd1st-1st1st1st1st1st1st1st
Phillips2nd1st--2nd2nd3rd--

Looking forward to how we manage the losses of TLR and Phillips. Others might think they are just so-so players, but their output for us won't be easy to replace, especially TLR. Basically our #1 and #2 around the ground. Very fit players who can contest all day, we can only hope that some from within step into the void. Who has the tank? Stevens must be a shot you'd think.

DMTCLRMGCPi50T50SI
Lucas-Rodd1st-1st1st1st1st1st1st1st
Phillips2nd1st--2nd2nd3rd--

just had a look at both players DISPOSAL EFFICIENCY, hovering around 50%
yeah they were top 2 for DISPOSALS but turned it over half the time

from the looks of it they weren't good ball users

Where did you find disposal efficiency?
Was beginning to think the AFL were hiding that info as across the board it was poor

Yeah, very good point. Phillips looks below average, and TLR has the worst efficiency of the ball magnets! Blackburn and Bonici only just ahead of TLR, they're efficiency is poor as well.

I'd say that some of it comes down to the team too, taking pressure of the ball carrier and giving better options. I can only remember TLR fluffing one kick last season, but maybe I had the rose coloured glasses on.

Saints pick moved back to 16 (7th in Vic), an additional first round pick at 28. Essendon gets 4 first round picks; Hawthorn has 7.

I'm not happy about this development.
Why do West Coast get 2 first rounders but not us?

Saints pick moved back to 16 (7th in Vic), an additional first round pick at 28. Essendon gets 4 first round picks; Hawthorn has 7.

I'm not happy about this development.

It's worse than that. It's not even an additional pick at 28, just our 3rd rounder moving from pick 51 -> 28.

That's a f*cking disgrace.

So we've got picks 16, 28, 37, 66, 84 in the first 5 rounds which are essentially pick 7, 15, 20, 34 and 44 in the Vic draft.

We need to trade for 3 players (1 Vic, 1 WA, 1 NSW) and I think there will be 3-4 list spots left after that to fill.

So we've got picks 16, 28, 37, 66, 84 in the first 5 rounds which are essentially pick 7, 15, 20, 34 and 44 in the Vic draft.

We need to trade for 3 players (1 Vic, 1 WA, 1 NSW) and I think there will be 3-4 list spots left after that to fill.

yes and then which picks will go to trade in Steven's, McKinnon & Kelly ?
15, 20 & 44 or 20, 34 & 44 ???

not much of a draft haul left, given Saints have only won 5 games the last 2 seasons

yes and then which picks will go to trade in Steven's, McKinnon & Kelly ?
15, 20 & 44 or 20, 34 & 44 ???

not much of a draft haul left, given Saints have only won 5 games the last 2 seasons
Not much of a haul at all. Who knows how the AFL determined who got what, but I do think we should have got the same as West Coast especially since they also got a lot more than us last year.

I'd like to think our first two are off the table. I dont think any of those 3 are worth first round picks. Maybe we try to trade down a a pick to get a few more late ones?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I have us currently with 23 players. I think Cutting and Lucy Burke were signed for one year replacements as Smith and Price were put on the inactive list. I wonder if we'll do this now for Patrikios and Watt? Will we keep Cutting and Burke? Still plenty to transpire.

We might get away with sending some late picks to WA and NSW. Like it really only makes a difference to the Eagles if they can slot in ahead of Freo. We can look at their picks too:

Western Australia

1. (14 overall) West Coast
2. (15) West Coast
3. (27) Fremantle
4. (36) West Coast
5. (40) Fremantle
6. (48) West Coast
7. (50) West Coast
8. (65) West Coast
9. (75) Fremantle

New South Wales

1. (1 overall) Sydney – cannot be traded
2. (5) Sydney – cannot be traded
3. (11) Sydney – cannot be traded
4. (12) Sydney – cannot be traded
5. (13) Sydney – cannot be traded
6. (20) GWS
7. (29) Sydney
8. (44) Sydney
9. (54) GWS
10. (61) Sydney
11. (70) GWS
12. (79) Sydney

So our 28 and 37 would mean the same thing to WC. But hopefully 66 gets it done, and we might even get a pick back if it's just a trade to get the player moved like we've done with Van Dyk and Sedunary in the past.

The Giants might be eyeing our 28 to get ahead of Sydney. Regardless, we do need picks coming back to give us flexibility. We can't afford to lose pick 16, unless we split it? I don't know what the quality is like around that area.

Yeah I have us currently with 23 players. I think Cutting and Lucy Burke were signed for one year replacements as Smith and Price were put on the inactive list. I wonder if we'll do this now for Patrikios and Watt? Will we keep Cutting and Burke? Still plenty to transpire.
Slight clarification here, Munga - Cutting was signed as a free agent following the draft using the list spot by passing on pick 36. Smith was never put on the inactive list. I assume this was so she could be paid in full ahead of expansion. I've always wondered whether Patrikios was left on the main list so she could be paid, despite not being allowed in the building.

So our 28 and 37 would mean the same thing to WC. But hopefully 66 gets it done, and we might even get a pick back if it's just a trade to get the player moved like we've done with Van Dyk and Sedunary in the past.

The Giants might be eyeing our 28 to get ahead of Sydney. Regardless, we do need picks coming back to give us flexibility. We can't afford to lose pick 16, unless we split it? I don't know what the quality is like around that area.
I believe the league gets involved with interstate deals, to ensure a lack of shenanigans. They've allowed fringe players to be moved in minor pick swaps between states, which is my hope for the Kelly deal. I have no idea what happens with McKinnon. Rucks aren't exactly a highly valued commodity across footy right now. The Giants will also be getting some compensation off the Swans for Morphett, but they may have to trade their entire draft for Huntington. I'm worried that that pick 28 is just going to wind up at the Bulldogs via GWS. I want the club to take it to the draft.

BTW - some reason for optimism around pick 16:

I actually don't think the pick is that much worse if it's worse at all. As long as nobody from the top of the pool jumps out to be the top pick in Sydney, there's a group of six midfield types that are very hard to split. I think Hawthorn has to draft at least one and probably two taller players in that early cluster, given their lacklustre list build. They're just not going to get them later.

I think getting somebody like Hurley is still a very realistic possibility for St Kilda. Even if all the mids are gone, that means Eardley is there. I'd also be very happy to have Charley Ryan at the Saints long term.

If the club can escape trade week with the second first round pick in tact, I think there should still be some decent prospects left there.

Slight clarification here, Munga - Cutting was signed as a free agent following the draft using the list spot by passing on pick 36. Smith was never put on the inactive list. I assume this was so she could be paid in full ahead of expansion. I've always wondered whether Patrikios was left on the main list so she could be paid, despite not being allowed in the building.
Ah yep, right you are about Cutting. I was going from the wiki page below... that one does say that Smith was on the inactive list??

Well done both clubs for moving quickly. Would've roughly been sorted a while ago.
Yes, glad to not have the process drag out (especially with other deals to get done). I was hoping it would get done for cheaper, but I can't say I have any idea what fair value is for the player. I haven't seen enough of her to have a strong opinion. Now I'm worried that pick 16 goes in the McKinnon deal, though.

NGL - I hate the player movement periods. If the draft is footy Christmas, then trade week is visiting some dodgy flea market where you walk away not knowing if you got a good deal or completely ripped off.

The article they cite just says she did her ACL, not that she was put on the inactive list. Either they just assumed, or I'm just completely wrong. Both are very strong possibilities.

Hehe, nah you're right, wiki unreliable. Found a few things:

St Kilda young gun Tyanna Smith is tracking well in her return from a torn ACL, and was never actually placed on the inactive list, the Saints instead choosing to run with a squad of 28 and carry both her and Patrikios.

Saints rookie Paige Price (hip) sat out her first AFLW season, and is now playing VFLW for Williamstown

Price was named to play for Williamstown against us in round 10. Not sure if she's actually taken the field though, can't find any stats.

Yes, glad to not have the process drag out (especially with other deals to get done). I was hoping it would get done for cheaper, but I can't say I have any idea what fair value is for the player. I haven't seen enough of her to have a strong opinion. Now I'm worried that pick 16 goes in the McKinnon deal, though.

NGL - I hate the player movement periods. If the draft is footy Christmas, then trade week is visiting some dodgy flea market where you walk away not knowing if you got a good deal or completely ripped off.
Hopefully pick 37 will get Stevens done which they will use in their other deals. We really need to keep that first pick.

Given how quick the trade happened and how that pick was essentially our 3rd round pick, I wonder if it was upgraded to that pick by the AFL always with the intention of always being traded to Carlton as some extra compo for how hard the expansion sides hit them. Or I might be too much of a conspiracy theorist here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back