List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Bianco shows we haven’t rated kicking ability highly enough for too long. He puts most of the guys on our list to shame, and something good happens practically every time he gets the ball.

What a stupid take. It's the mid season draft ffs, not the national. There was hardly much on there in terms of super talent. Garbage.
The really stupid part is criticising the football department because a surgeon and Brown didn't come to a decision early enough about the need for surgery.

The really stupid part is criticising the football department because a surgeon and Brown didn't come to a decision early enough about the need for surgery.

Especially when by all reports, they did, and the poster just didn’t like the outcome.

Tiges got a jump on the comp because they valued pace and skill but didn't devalue a lack of height as much as other clubs did.

I think Dekka early in his career got a jump on the comp because he rated composure and clean hands more highly than other recruiters and didn't worry about athleticism as much and that suited the game for a while, but the worm has turned and he didn't turn with it.

I'm talking completely retrospectively, as I've got no idea which way footy will trend, but I think the clubs who have recruiters who correctly weight the skills that suit the game style for 5-10 years time will get a jump on the comp.

I actually rate Dekka, but I think there's a lot of luck and vision in getting your recruitment weightings right and I think he got his wrong.
There's no doubting it's not an exact science, hitting the sweet spot - probably 3 years ahead of trade time - is the key I think.

Added to that is chasing current trends which always follow flag or near flag performances - I see it a an utter waste of time and money. Flag winners are trend setters and those that copy are almost certainly doomed to be also rans. By all means make allowances in your list balance for current conditions but having a coordinated plan to dominate the competition with your own style requires a completely focused club.

Something we aren't at present.

I think Dekka early in his career got a jump on the comp because he rated composure and clean hands more highly than other recruiters and didn't worry about athleticism as much and that suited the game for a while, but the worm has turned and he didn't turn with it.
We only dominated the comp for two year for one premiership so I’d hardly compare it to a jump on the comp like Richmond have.

I think we had quick players that were either pre Hine or not recruited because of him that kept the team balanced.

I think what made us tick was Hine found out and out guns and added that to an already solid foundation.

This was always going to be the outcome
We had a chance to get a look at another player for at least half the season and try and find someone —literally would have cost next to nothing —we should have exploited that opportunity.

I
He was never quick and was that in between size which places a slowish player in limbo. Wilson will suffer the same fate.

Said something similar to my mates, see it exactly like this except shaz had good hands, not sure Wilson will make it but good luck to him, hopefully he finds his place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always found it odd that we have arguably the games greatest ever kick, with a team with so many that can’t
correct, and it is bizarre. He honed his skills by himself as a kid though, so seems to expect that from other players. Plus he is more obsessed with grunt as a coach, which is no doubt something that he took pride in in his own game, but has clearly been over-shadowed by his sublime skills.

Also... Bucks' favourite film is Gattaca, which - apart from being a great film - is a great insight into his psyche. The boy who didnt have natural gifts, wasnt supposed to succeed, but did against the odds, through sheer determination. Describes what he hopes for from half our list....

V much doubt our multitude of honest battlers are due to get us to Titan anytime soon though...

Last edited:
Guess Callow did not have a Basketball Background 😉
He played basketball at school because he had height and spent a lot of time wagging class doing so but football was his priority. He was playing state league at 16 which is pretty damn impressive - even if it is in Tasmania. The TSL is rough as and there are always heaps of brawls. Got in a fair melee with old mate Mitch Thorp who got drafted at Pick #6 in 2006 or thereabouts. I do believe if he had been Indigenous or perhaps gay, he would have been signed ASAP.

Bianco shows we haven’t rated kicking ability highly enough for too long. He puts most of the guys on our list to shame, and something good happens practically every time he gets the ball.
The fact North passed on him and brought in Who-Who Whatever says something about the ability of recruiters to draw in players who are underrated. Bianco is a genuine Collingwood fan who is living his dream and it shows. I don't freak every time I see him with the ball because I know he is going to make a good choice. In fact, I'd say he's the next Steele Sidebottom. Back in his day, Sidey had one of the best kicks in Australia and they said he was better. Weren't wrong. Genuine Collingwood player who can kick...*wakes up from dream*.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks have done well with Newcombe.
Yep. Looks like a player.
They did well to snare him & Callow.
Although Callow has a few KPP ahead of him there…he probably would have preferred Collingwood…would definitely get game time with us this year.

Yep. Looks like a player.
They did well to snare him & Callow.
Although Callow has a few KPP ahead of him there…he probably would have preferred Collingwood…would definitely get game time with us this year.

Callow almost been a Walk Up Starter for us. That reason you might be Right he wanted to come to us more as he be behind a Few at Hawks KPF

He didn’t have that lack of pace as a junior, it was taken from him by 3 knee reconstructions. He actually had a decent turn of speed and the willingness to run and carry as a junior. Blaming that one on our recruiters is unfair, he wasn’t the same player we drafted after all those setbacks.

Hine also said at draft time that he could see him becoming a big mid.

He looked awesome in his draft videos, but I think he also looked a touch slow. https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/vi...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1385020060001

We rated Aish almost as highly, similar weaknesses. Murphy the same. Then you also have a heap of later picks with the same weaknesses. Hine didn't rate pace highly enough. His criteria were fantastic and he drafted fabulously until the game became more frenetic.

You are right never had "pace", was ave pace with good timing. After injury below average and slow.
But even in those highlights had no explosion factor.

Maybe he figures with his AFL career over, stay in the game and protect the knees at a lower comp. with his luck probably can’t afford to go through another knee reconstruction if he has a full time job.
And money is probably better, with more of an atmosphere.

& you don‘t get jerked around by AFL coaches dictating how the VFL team should play (AFL players given priority over VFL players)

Of Course the AFL Players get priority over VFL players.

That why we have a Stand Alone VFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back