List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

You were laughed at and proclaimed crazy for this one GUN but I remembered.

Unbelievable to see how unforgiving some of the supporters around here can be over some party drugs that probably over half the players in the comp including our own.

For those who dismissed the idea of picking up this absolute gun of a kid over such a minor indiscretion... well you know who you are and you have about as much egg on your face as you can.
We would be the most conservative club in the league as far as recruiting and off field issues go. Can't see that changing any time soon.

**** Isaac Smith would have been a good get a few years ago. Was likely always going to Geelong.. but still.

You were laughed at and proclaimed crazy for this one GUN but I remembered.

Unbelievable to see how unforgiving some of the supporters around here can be over some party drugs that probably over half the players in the comp do including our own.

For those who dismissed the idea of picking up this absolute gun of a kid over such a minor indiscretion... well you know who you are and you have about as much egg on your face as you can.

Lol. We don't have the leadership to handle a bad boy.

Melbourne 2021.
😂😂😂

Their captain used to spend his weekends getting drunk and smoking ciggies at the north road sip n bite kebab store while he was injured. Was at the crossroads a few times early in his career which was well documented.

Steven May has been caught in how many off field scandals?

Have we had the proper off field infrastructure in the past 20 years?
To pick up a player or two that haven't always been choir boys? I don't see why not, plenty of football department staff to offer support. Big difference between now and 20 years ago when we were rock bottom.

😂😂😂

Their captain used to spend his weekends getting drunk and smoking ciggies at the north road sip n bite kebab store while he was injured. Was at the crossroads a few times early in his career which was well documented.

Steven May has been caught in how many off field scandals?

Save the emojis.

I don't recall their captain ever having off-field issues or having a reputation of being a bad boy. Every single club has players who live a separate life off the field and enjoy a drink or a smoke, you're kidding yourself if you think differently.

As for May, he was a club captain when he made the move across to Melbourne. I think you're blurring the lines between being an AFL 'bad boy' and being caught up in something off the field. You're falling for what I like to call Herald Sun hysteria.

Which is part of the issue. Clubs like Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn back in their day... they all were able to take these freak talents under their guidance and get the best from them

The fact we don't have enough leadership, aside from cripps and doch our senior players dont have the credibility of pendles and his crew, selwood and his crew etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Save the emojis.

I don't recall their captain ever having off-field issues or having a reputation of being a bad boy. Every single club has players who live a separate life off the field and enjoy a drink or a smoke, you're kidding yourself if you think differently.

As for May, he was a club captain when he made the move across to Melbourne. I think you're blurring the lines between being an AFL 'bad boy' and being caught up in something off the field. You're falling for what I like to call Herald Sun hysteria.
Which is exactly my point. Stengle had barely done anything out of the ordinary. He got caught with some illicit drugs that him and his teammate were using and got caught drunk driving on a separate occasion. Every club in the AFL is littered with players who go out getting drunk during the season, smoke weed, do c*ke and everything else yet in here Stengle was made out as if he was some sort of vile criminal too dangerous to ever have back in the AFL system.

Stengle should be a wake up call that not all footballers have to have perfect careers to be quality members of a team and unless they've done something really disgusting like Degoey (we all know what im talking about) has they shouldn't warrant the repulse and disapproval that they have in these forums.

On a brighter note he looks like he's really got his life back on track with Eddie and what a great redemption story this seasons been for the young man.

Save the emojis.

May was sanctioned by Melbourne for excessive drinking and not training hard enough when he first joined them.

Agree on gawn

May was sanctioned by Melbourne for excessive drinking and not training hard enough when he first joined them.

Agree on gawn
Gawn was caught smoking a pack of cigarettes on the way to training by his Captain and was warned many times that his professionalism wasn't up to required standards. If Melbourne wasn't such a disaster during that period there's every chance one of the games best ever ruckmen would have been off an AFL list and never seen again. He's spoken about that on many AFL podcasts.

And May was also involved in a separate drunken fight with a teammate back in his Gold Coast days before becoming an AFL captain.

Which is exactly my point. Stengle had barely done anything out of the ordinary. He got caught with some illicit drugs that him and his teammate were using and got caught drunk driving on a separate occasion. Every club in the AFL is littered with players who go out getting drunk during the season, smoke weed, do c*ke and everything else yet in here Stengle was made out as if he was some sort of vile criminal too dangerous to ever have back in the AFL system.
Stengle was pushed out by one club and sacked by another. That doesn't happen if he hasn't "done anything out of the ordinary".

You're either understating what went down or we don't have the full picture.
Gawn was caught smoking a pack of cigarettes on the way to training by his Captain and was warned many times that his professionalism wasn't up to required standards. If Melbourne wasn't such a disaster during that period there's every chance one of the games best ever ruckmen would have been off an AFL list and never seen again. He's spoken about that on many AFL podcasts.

And May was also involved in a separate drunken fight with a teammate back in his Gold Coast days before becoming an AFL captain.

McGovern has also been warned that his professionalism wasn't up to standard. I think you're understating how common that is, and overstating how big it is as an indiscretion.

That Steven May was able to overcome all these supposedly massive issues to become a club captain should probably tell you the media blew them out of proportion and you bought the hysteria.

Stengle was pushed out by one club and sacked by another. That doesn't happen if he hasn't "done anything out of the ordinary".

You're either understating what went down or we don't have the full picture.

McGovern has also been warned that his professionalism wasn't up to standard. I think you're understating how common that is, and overstating how big it is as an indiscretion.

That Steven May was able to overcome all these supposedly massive issues to become a club captain should probably tell you the media blew them out of proportion and you bought the hysteria.
Charlie drink driving another “risk” we took.
The thing is, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if half our players take drugs for instance; so if they actually get caught would that mean we do have these sorts of bad boys in our side or is it just if they get busted?

I believe the drunken fight was with Campbell Brown at the suns overseas end of season trip. Similar Scenario to the recent one wish dee's. Trashing team mates.

Charlie drink driving another “risk” we took.
The thing is, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if half our players take drugs for instance; so if they actually get caught would that mean we do have these sorts of bad boys in our side or is it just if they get busted?
The only thing our players take is Chai Latte's

What a peculiar thread.

Complaining about not recruiting more dickheads because a few of them have won premierships.

Anyone has a list of dickheads that were picked up and left in ignominy or damaged their clubs?

FFS people will find anything to complain about o_O

Can't wait to celebrate next time one of our players gets done for DUI or a drunken bar fight = PREMIERSHIP INCOMING! :D

Yep you're exactly right. Most here would be surprised with how much of that goes down with footy players - at Carlton alone we had 3 'bad boys' this year. Also is intriguing just how much a club is able to keep inside the 4 walls and not leak to media, internal suspensions are more common than some would think.

What a peculiar thread.

Complaining about not recruiting more dickheads because a few of them have won premierships.

Anyone has a list of dickheads that were picked up and left in ignominy or damaged their clubs?

FFS people will find anything to complain about o_O

Can't wait to celebrate next time one of our players gets done for DUI or a drunken bar fight = PREMIERSHIP INCOMING! :D
It's not about deliberately picking up dickheads, it's our tendency to put a line through names based on behavior rather than football ability. Quite a few of the all time greats have had issues off field , Ablett Snr, Carey, more recently Dusty . I think we went to far the other way after Angwin and Fev.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back