List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

In theory getting rid of all the injury prone players like Martin, Marchbank, Cuningham etc means we have to replace them. Easier said than done. If we can replace them with equal or better players so be it.

You don't replace them with draftees because they will be AFL ready outside our premiership window. We also need them to challenge the very top sides for the flag so getting rid of them throws in the towel and puts us through a mini-rebuild which is a bit bigger than we think because we have key best 22 players who are 30 odd and we need to strike while they are up and about.

Thing is we don't need to get rid of these guys. We have enough young players on the list not up to it to make enough list spots. Build the list from the bottom up.

I think we need to be patient, persist with the injury riddled players, delist a few young guys who aren't going to make it, look into trades and draft picks for good players.

It's going to be a good challenge for the list managers. But you don't just delist best 22 players because they are injury prone. You just need one good season out of them. Replace if you can but that's easier said than done, you don't delist and hit the draft in this situation.

In theory getting rid of all the injury prone players like Martin, Marchbank, Cuningham etc means we have to replace them. Easier said than done. If we can replace them with equal or better players so be it.

You don't replace them with draftees because they will be AFL ready outside our premiership window. We also need them to challenge the very top sides for the flag so getting rid of them throws in the towel and puts us through a mini-rebuild which is a bit bigger than we think because we have key best 22 players who are 30 odd and we need to strike while they are up and about.

Thing is we don't need to get rid of these guys. We have enough young players on the list not up to it to make enough list spots. Build the list from the bottom up.

I think we need to be patient, persist with the injury riddled players, delist a few young guys who aren't going to make it, look into trades and draft picks for good players.

It's going to be a good challenge for the list managers. But you don't just delist best 22 players because they are injury prone. You just need one good season out of them. Replace if you can but that's easier said than done, you don't delist and hit the draft in this situation.
Injury prone players expose depth that isn't ready for AFL games when they all inevitably get injured again. We've seen the exact same thing play out for 4-5 years in a row now. Enough is enough.

I'm not underestimating his ability at all, he's our 3rd best forward by a long way but he's injured 50% of every season... If I was picking between keeping Martin and bringing in a consistent forward who can actually stay on the park each week it's not even a question for me.

Ideally we'd be able to keep him and bring in someone like Hayward or Stengle etc but if its one or the other I'd drive Martin to the airport myself.

Cuningham and Marchbank absolutely must go imo as they aren't as important to our structure and arguably even more injury prone.
By all reports Hayward isn’t interested - Stengle interesting - being managed by Mrs Betts. Would love that in.

Too early to draw a line through cunners or marchbank - both could be important contributors to # 17.

Replace
Martin with Wayward
Marchbank with Battle
Cuningham with Ainsworth

You could replace Martin and Cuningham with Hayward and Cumberland and not lose too much in output or salary.

Retain one of Marchbank or Durdin and replace the other with a developing FB and again I don’t think we lose a heap in the immediate term.

A second or third quality free agent will be a bit much unless we shed a big player imo.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back