List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

The enigma of Jack Martin is truly represented by his remarkable mark and goal over Jake Lever in the first quarter - that pr0n star moustachioed tosser was so visibly incensed and flabbergasted that Martin had outmarked him from behind that alone was worth the price of admission.

This is what Martin is capable of - and probably would provide us a Norm Smith Medallist performance should the stars align and it coincides that both Jack Martin is fit and we ever get the opportunity to play in a Grand Final.

All big ifs and there is not much more I’m allowed to say on this subject - but a Carlton side with a fit Jack Martin in it is better than one without him.

I don’t disagree with this but I reckon a big factor in the decision to re-sign him is if we can land Will Hayward. He is essentially the same sort of player but is far more durable than Martin. If we don’t get Hayward I think we have to roll the dice with Martin. I’d like to think he’d come at some discount to us given his injury history but the reality is despite his injury background he’d garner interest from a few teams like Brisbane, Essington, Freo, Port etc.

On the list management front, I would be looking at replacing injury prone players.

While I have a lot of love for these boys, the early season carnage has me worried about how we can mount consistent campaigns when so many of our players are out injured.

Marchbank, Cunningham, Martin are top of mind.

All best 22 calibre players, who struggle to get on the field regularly.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nicking the contract status list

16. Jack Carroll - Keep

20. Elijah Hollands - Keep

21. Jack Martin - ?

22. Caleb Marchbank -?

28. David Cuningham - ?

32. Matt Carroll? - Keep

38. Sam Durdin (MSD Rookie 2022) - Delist

44. Matthew Owies - Keep

45. Alex Mirkov (Rookie) - Delist

39. Alex Cincotta (Pre-season SSP 2023) - Keep

40. Hudson O'Keeffe (Pre-season SSP 2023) - Keep

41. Domanic Akuei (3rd Year Cat B Rookie) - Delist

Is where I am currently at.

Early on, so obviously things can change

But if Marchbank, Martin and Cunningham can't stay on the park, at least 1 of them will probably have to go.

16. Jack Carroll - Keep

21. Jack Martin - ?

22. Caleb Marchbank -?

28. David Cuningham - ?

32. Matt Carroll? - Keep

44. Matthew Owies - Keep

But if Marchbank, Martin and Cunningham can't stay on the park, at least 1 of them will probably have to go.

I think two out of Cunners, Marchy and Martin will go. Outside of round 1 i think Carrol has looked a long way off, id be surprised if he’s around and i wonder what the coaching group think of Binns, was included as a sub when we were decimated by injury and dropped straight away, he is behind a lot of others.

You have 3 as delist, i added 2-4, i still dont think that’s enough considering we will add two extra players this month

16. Jack Carroll - Keep

21. Jack Martin - ?

22. Caleb Marchbank -?

28. David Cuningham - ?

32. Matt Carroll? - Keep

44. Matthew Owies - Keep

I think this is fair. If I was the LM and the season ended now, Cuningham would be gone and I'd be in deep thought about Marchy and Martin.

I too loved Martin's mark and goal on Thursday night, and if the pattern of playing 12 or so mostly good games per season continues I would like to see him stay on modest money, but would be happy to let him walk if he wants big bucks, we don't need mercenaries.

Last edited:
Does it really make a difference? We could get rid of Martin, Marchbank and Cuningham to free up 5-600k which we can then spend on a player who likely plays more games next season than all 3 combined
You’re underestimating Martin.

There’s interest in him because he’s a difference maker.

Rather than focus on getting rid of him, refocus on getting him right for the pointy end.

He could win a GF off his own boot - we’d be daft to be rid of him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your underestimating Martin.

There’s interest in him because he’s a difference maker.

Rather than focus on getting rid of him, refocus on getting him right for the pointy end.

He could win a GF off his own boot - we’d be daft to be rid of him.
I'm not underestimating his ability at all, he's our 3rd best forward by a long way but he's injured 50% of every season... If I was picking between keeping Martin and bringing in a consistent forward who can actually stay on the park each week it's not even a question for me.

Ideally we'd be able to keep him and bring in someone like Hayward or Stengle etc but if its one or the other I'd drive Martin to the airport myself.

Cuningham and Marchbank absolutely must go imo as they aren't as important to our structure and arguably even more injury prone.

I don’t disagree with this but I reckon a big factor in the decision to re-sign him is if we can land Will Hayward. He is essentially the same sort of player but is far more durable than Martin. If we don’t get Hayward I think we have to roll the dice with Martin. I’d like to think he’d come at some discount to us given his injury history but the reality is despite his injury background he’d garner interest from a few teams like Brisbane, Essington, Freo, Port etc.
I will go with our captains assessment of martin. WH not in the same league.
I would also be heavily questioning Russell about JM and the realistic future to be injury free of not.
Lets face it we are just guessing. like we were about Charlie.

On the list management front, I would be looking at replacing injury prone players.

While I have a lot of love for these boys, the early season carnage has me worried about how we can mount consistent campaigns when so many of our players are out injured.

Marchbank, Cunningham, Martin are top of mind.

All best 22 calibre players, who struggle to get on the field regularly.

Cherry on top players? Or integral parts of a premiership team.
Our emotional investment in these players is what puts them so much in the spotlight .
But what if they were on significantly less coin going forward? Could they be more palatable on our list if they are heavily managed?

I'm not underestimating his ability at all, he's our 3rd best forward by a long way but he's injured 50% of every season... If I was picking between keeping Martin and bringing in a consistent forward who can actually stay on the park each week it's not even a question for me.

Ideally we'd be able to keep him and bring in someone like Hayward or Stengle etc but if its one or the other I'd drive Martin to the airport myself.

Cuningham and Marchbank absolutely must go imo as they aren't as important to our structure and arguably even more injury prone.
C and M are both very good depth players at the very least. They cant however, be kept on the list with huge contracts. Take that away and they become super useful.

Sam Durdin - Carlton Debut Highlights - AFL Round 14 2022 - Carlton Blues @ Richmond Tigers

How do we all feel about Sam Durdin's long term prospects?

Taking a look at this game in isolation he seems to offer more than Young as a depth player and certainly has the intensity Young seems to lack.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more of him at senior level based on this output and with our injuries to get a better sample size to judge. Is he really that low in the pecking order?

Now granted he might be struggling in the VFL, I wouldn't know. Any insight or theories?
It is a pity Durdin did not get a few of Young's games but he was not available. He needs 2 games at AFL level to assess his bonafides. My gut tells me he is better than Young. Our history is littered with Stoppers who had to replace champion KPDs in Grandfinals: Bortolotto, Scott Howell

Martin is nearing 30 and injury prone, How many games per year will we get out of him, Moir could go either way.

l would say a mid sized half forward goal kicking forward is our biggest need, Motlop is young and can be that small forward.
A key position defender would be useful but with so many numbers back these days, we are not too badly off with McGovern & Kemp and Marchbank supporting Weitering.

No reason why can't develop one via MSD or end of year draft, l don't see that being a game changer were injecting a mid forward kicking 30-35 goals would.
Martin is that good, he is worth a year at 400k for his 12 games. We will not get anything for him but if he gets 500k+ multiyear deal I don't see the value.

Last edited:
I think we take the Campo boys, elevate Boyd and the target FAs, with some extra coin from moving on a number of injury prone players
Think that's gonna be close to the mark. Depends a bit on where we think Ben and Lucas will go, and where our first pick is. Ideally, we'd get a pick in before they go, and thus have 3 relatively high selections. But could also trade it back to next year, or use it in a trade.

Think that's gonna be close to the mark. Depends a bit on where we think Ben and Lucas will go, and where our first pick is. Ideally, we'd get a pick in before they go, and thus have 3 relatively high selections. But could also trade it back to next year, or use it in a trade.

Yeap

I think we add 2 in the mid season draft, 1 ready to go, the other a project type

I think as a total list change, it would be around 8 player

We have a fair idea of the names, but we may also trade 1 or 2 out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back