Preview 2021 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Schultz we should have traded Bewley at the end of the season when there was minor interest for a pick in the 50s

Logue playing with two of the others is doable but my best 22 a few pages back left Logue and Hamling out.

I can see whoever doesn’t play round one really struggling to get back into the side tbh. Large reason why I’m leaving Logue out of my best 22 - I feel he’ll have to force his way in.

Cox is the best option we have right now - it’ll be interesting to see if those selecting our round one team have the balls to leave out Hamling or Pearce.
They do and they will.

When Fyfe drifts or rests forward who will the oppo target as our best mid?
Cerra or Serong?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

When Fyfe drifts or rests forward who will the oppo target as our best mid?
Cerra or Serong?

Out of those two I’d say Cerra as he’s damaging when he gets space. Serong excels at keeping his man accountable and working off him so he’s a hard type of player to tag.
In my opinion if Brayshaw can start kicking more goals they will sooner lock down on him over those two.

Out of those two I’d say Cerra as he’s damaging when he gets space. Serong excels at keeping his man accountable and working off him so he’s a hard type of player to tag.
In my opinion if Brayshaw can start kicking more goals they will sooner lock down on him over those two.
come on mate.
I'll admit Brayshaw is better than I gave him credit for, but he isn't anywhere near the class of the other two.
I agree that Cerra has more of a Mundy vibe while Serong is more a Neale type. Death by a few big hammer blows to the oppo, vs death by a thousand rapier cuts.

I think you're both guilty of describing Serong by the way that he played last year. He was learning on the job last year and was given negating jobs for that reason. I'm hoping (and am reasonably confident) that he'll go to another level as he becomes more experienced and play a more attacking role. He'll go from the hunter to the hunted.

come on mate.
I'll admit Brayshaw is better than I gave him credit for, but he isn't anywhere near the class of the other two.
I agree that Cerra has more of a Mundy vibe while Serong is more a Neale type. Death by a few big hammer blows to the oppo, vs death by a thousand rapier cuts.
Cerra definitely has the higher ceiling. But not sure he's imposed himself on a game regularly enough to warrant a tag. He still has games where he's a passenger imo.

Brayshaw is alot more consistent at winning the football, distributing and staying involved.

If Fyfe, Mundy or Walters are in the midfield then one of them would be who you tag. Out of the kids it would be Brayshaw > Serong > Cerra > Tucker.

I honestly don't think Cerra would be worrying too many opposition coaches at the moment. We know he's going to be good, but he's not hit a level of consistency yet that's worthy of a tag.

come on mate.
Each to their own and happy to agree to disagree on this one. Would you believe it if I told you that when comparing Andy and Adam in 2020 the stats favour Andy considerably.

Most notably:
Disposal eff. - AB 75.9%, AC 71.8%
Disposals - AB 19.9, AC 17.4
Effective disposals - AB 15.1, AC 12.5
Clearances - AB 3.1, AC 2.1
Score involvements - AB 3, AC 2.6

AB averaged less minutes on the ground than AC as well.

Adam led Andy in marks, goals (almost a nil all draw though) and metres gained but also in frees against, clangers and TOG.

I haven’t bothered comparing Serong because as good as he was for a first year he didn’t get anywhere near these guys’ numbers. He will be better again this season but based on the two scratchie I watched, so has Andy.

Finally - just to qualify my opinion I will mention that I love all three of these guys equally.

I think you're both guilty of describing Serong by the way that he played last year. He was learning on the job last year and was given negating jobs for that reason. I'm hoping (and am reasonably confident) that he'll go to another level as he becomes more experienced and play a more attacking role. He'll go from the hunter to the hunted.
Good point. I agree he will get better but don’t forget Andy and Adam haven’t reached their ceilings yet either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't the whole point of our new young midfield that they are all pretty balanced and that tagging any of them would be a pointless exercise as you'd probably just create opportunities for the other mids you weren't tagging?

One of the reasons I am bullish about our young midfield is because they are all pretty good defensively. They aren't tagging but they all seem pretty good at keeping whichever midfield they are lined up next to accountable.

Each to their own and happy to agree to disagree on this one. Would you believe it if I told you that when comparing Andy and Adam in 2020 the stats favour Andy considerably.

Most notably:
Disposal eff. - AB 75.9%, AC 71.8%
Disposals - AB 19.9, AC 17.4
Effective disposals - AB 15.1, AC 12.5
Clearances - AB 3.1, AC 2.1
Score involvements - AB 3, AC 2.6

AB averaged less minutes on the ground than AC as well.

Adam led Andy in marks, goals (almost a nil all draw though) and metres gained but also in frees against, clangers and TOG.

I haven’t bothered comparing Serong because as good as he was for a first year he didn’t get anywhere near these guys’ numbers. He will be better again this season but based on the two scratchie I watched, so has Andy.

Finally - just to qualify my opinion I will mention that I love all three of these guys equally.
+
Brayshaw 34 coaches votes v Cerra 24 coaches votes
Brayshaw 9 Brownlow votes v Cerra 3 Brownlow votes
Both 150 votes in the Doig

I'll make it obvious
We could do with one of the three becoming the defensive mid whose job is not to get the ball, but to prevent the oppo from getting it.
Which one of the 3 has most of his highlights package being tackles & is poor at disposal?
Keep Andrew in the 22, but he should be the defensive guy.
Which of the 3 don't you want kicking for goal?
Take off those rose tinted glasses

I'll make it obvious
We could do with one of the three becoming the defensive mid whose job is not to get the ball, but to prevent the oppo from getting it.
Which one of the 3 has most of his highlights package being tackles & is poor at disposal?

Doesn’t matter who kicks them. He has the most score involvements and the best disposal efficiency of the three. He’s also out best general play stoppage clearance winner. You don’t always have to look the best to have a big impact.

Anyway, it’s a subjective topic to a certain degree and I’m sure all 17 oppo coaches will have different views on which of the three to tag.

I'll make it obvious
There's rose tinted glasses, and then there's confirmation bias (hate that term, but whatever). Everyone "knows" that Cerra has sublime skills and great disposal. Even the (ex-)playing group know it, with Sheridan having dubbed him Rolls Royce. My wife and I call him "RR" for short, and over the last three years have taken to looking at each other and wryly saying "RR" every time he kicks the ball oobotf, kicks it to the opposition, or misses a target. Happens at least 2 or 3 times a game.

Undoubtedly happens at least 2 or 3 times a game for Brayshaw too. But, while the stats cited by Piggy Smalls suggest that, if anything Brayshaw has the better disposal, "everyone knows" that Brayshaw has poor disposal. His clangers are evidence of that fact, while Cerra's are exceptions — because, you know ... that banana goal! those other times when he did hit a target!

Round 1 team

Who am I missing?
Colyer, Bewley, Chapman could all be considered for the last spot.

Edit - Gone with Treacy, with A Pearce forward

Assuming A Pearce can kick 50m's he plays forward.

B: Conca Hamling Ryan
HB: Young Cox Wilson
C: Aish Cerra Freddie
HF: Henry Tabs Acres
F: Shultz A Pearce Switkowski

R: Meek Brayshaw Fyfe

B: Mundy Serong Hughes Treacy

Assumptions - Cerra, Wilson, Serong, Ryan are fit.
- Sturt, Logue, Darcy are all injured.

Last edited:
Round 1 team

Who am I missing?
Colyer, Bewley, Chapman could all be considered for the last spot.

Assuming A Pearce can kick 50m's he plays forward.

HB: Young Cox\A Pearce Wilson
F: Shultz Cox\A Pearce Switkowski

B: Mundy Serong Hughes ??

Assumptions - Cerra, Wilson, Serong, Ryan are fit.
- Sturt, Logue, Darcy are all injured.
You’ve got Pearce, Wilson and Switta pencilled in for two positions so you’ve got 22 already

HB: Young Cox Wilson
F: Shultz A Pearce Switkowski

B: Mundy Serong Hughes Treacy

I like this but would have gone with

B: Conquer Hambling Rian
HB: Jung Coxon Wheelson
C: Ash Cerah Frederixx
HF: Henri Tabernah Achers
F: Schoolz Pierce Wazowski

R: Miek Bradshaw Fife

B: Monday Sarong Huges Tracy

A tribute to posters who continually spell our player's names wrong (eg Bradshaw or Hambling) :D (Not aimed at you go_the_dockers)

I like this but would have gone with

B: Conquer Hambling Rian
HB: Jung Coxon Wheelson
C: Ash Cerah Frederixx
HF: Henri Tabernah Achers
F: Schoolz Pierce Wazowski

R: Miek Bradshaw Fife

B: Monday Sarong Huges Tracy

A tribute to posters who continually spell our player's names wrong (eg Bradshaw or Hambling) :D (Not aimed at you go_the_dockers)

Seriously Mealon why the angst budy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back