Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

The possible draft is over 6 months away so lots of things can happen between now and then.

In this draft more than normal are some good key position players. Some club aligned players as well.

Freo’s club aligned players aren’t likely to be be in the first two rounds I suspect.

I think we still need a decent tall mid, clean skills both sides of the body, and good by foot... no ball burners thanks. Trew fits this better than O’D.

I would also like a highly skilled wingman with foot speed, to break the lines (185-190cm size please).

Re KPF if the right one is available at one of our two top picks then needs to be considered. Not sure I want another 3rd defender with our top pick however. If we are going a KPF can we get one with a bit of mongrel about them.. keen to have an angry man who wants to break open packs and create havoc... been missing that when I go to the footy!

I’m not overly phased if they are not from WA, but suspect local products might be under rated so worth ranking the local products.
Regardless where freo finish. I am curious what freo will do with that 1st and 2nd rounder.

I am not confident with anything when it comes to 1st round picks.

A gun KPF is tempting. But We have solid stocks in Lobb, Hogan, Tarberner, McCarthy, Cox and Dixon.

KPD is tempting. Our Stocks are only Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue and Brennan Cox.

I dont mind using a 1st or 2nd rounder on a Graham Johncock type mid: Some one thats 180cm and 80-90kg that can be a solid inside or outside mid and can even play on a forward or back flank.

I would use a 2nd round pick for a pacy winger. I can see a Brad Hill or Michael Walters type taken as a 2nd rounder. Hell, I wouldnt mind getting a Clancee Pearce type player in the rookie list.

Regardless where freo finish. I am curious what freo will do with that 1st and 2nd rounder.

I am not confident with anything when it comes to 1st round picks.

A gun KPF is tempting. But We have solid stocks in Lobb, Hogan, Tarberner, McCarthy, Cox and Dixon.

KPD is tempting. Our Stocks are only Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue and Brennan Cox.

I dont mind using a 1st or 2nd rounder on a Graham Johncock type mid: Some one thats 180cm and 80-90kg that can be a solid inside or outside mid and can even play on a forward or back flank.

I would use a 2nd round pick for a pacy winger. I can see a Brad Hill or Michael Walters type taken as a 2nd rounder. Hell, I wouldnt mind getting a Clancee Pearce type player in the rookie list.
We have plenty of pacey wingers,

Frederick & Young last year
Giro, carter the year before, we need a bullocking inside mid, only have Valente and Acres in the strings and they are injured, we have plenty of small inside mids, fyfe is aging and we have no other talls that can relate to that kind of player, so I’m thinking first pick maybe go a Trew kind of player

We have plenty of pacey wingers,

Frederick & Young last year
Giro, carter the year before, we need a bullocking inside mid, only have Valente and Acres in the strings and they are injured, we have plenty of small inside mids, fyfe is aging and we have no other talls that can relate to that kind of player, so I’m thinking first pick maybe go a Trew kind of player
According to some people, we dont have wingers one we traded out Brad Hill and Ed Langdon.

Giro wasnt too bad in his debut year of 2018. Carter has only played 1 or 2 games. Valente can be decent.

Yes, I would consider Stephen hill a winger too.

According to some people, we dont have wingers one we traded out Brad Hill and Ed Langdon.

Giro wasnt too bad in his debut year of 2018. Carter has only played 1 or 2 games. Valente can be decent.

Yes, I would consider Stephen hill a winger too.
I just genuily think we need a big fyfe type midfielder with our first, without him who had the height and strength to dictate how the clearances go etc

I just genuily think we need a big fyfe type midfielder with our first, without him who had the height and strength to dictate how the clearances go etc
I can also live with a mundy type mid with our 1st or 2nd as well.

Gonna be hard trying to find that Nat fyfe or James Hird type mid. Would of been epic if we could of lured Coniglio from GWS as a free agent.

Yeah, more likely to find a mundy type mid: a 190cm 90kg work horse that gets his 20-25 disposals a game.

Gonna be hard trying to find that Nat fyfe or James Hird type mid. Would of been epic if we could of lured Coniglio from GWS as a free agent.

Yeah, more likely to find a mundy type mid: a 190cm 90kg work horse that gets his 20-25 disposals a game.
A Mundy type would suffice too, like a stallion galloping in the wind, or should we get in Patrick Cripps ear try and lure him back home 🤷‍♀️

Surely we're going after Angus Brayshaw again for an inside mid?

With the draft why not just best available? Some of our worst drafting has been done chasing needs, and we're never going to have too many talented players.

Surely we're going after Angus Brayshaw again for an inside mid?

With the draft why not just best available? Some of our worst drafting has been done chasing needs, and we're never going to have too many talented players.
Angus is risky though with all his concussions and would cost us an arm and leg

You mean sort of like Acres (24yo) 191cm, 86kg averages over 20 disposals per game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bell had a sit down with Tom Petroro during trade week about Angus but Melbourne said no. If Melbourne change their stance we will get him

With that said Melbourne would have to change their stance. So either Angus will need to hit some terrible form or something else to convince them that he's no longer an essential player for them.

We might have a bit more luck looking at GWS' stocks. If I recall they have at least 2 young mids perpetually stuck in the seconds because there's no vacancy for them to break into the 22. They're likely not viewed as essential players, so I'd imagine GWS would be willing to trade, and any objection they'd have to moving to WA would probably fade due to the fact it's a way to actually play in the AFL. It'll just be about finding the one who actually has potential, rather than the duds.

With that said Melbourne would have to change their stance. So either Angus will need to hit some terrible form or something else to convince them that he's no longer an essential player for them.

We might have a bit more luck looking at GWS' stocks. If I recall they have at least 2 young mids perpetually stuck in the seconds because there's no vacancy for them to break into the 22. They're likely not viewed as essential players, so I'd imagine GWS would be willing to trade, and any objection they'd have to moving to WA would probably fade due to the fact it's a way to actually play in the AFL. It'll just be about finding the one who actually has potential, rather than the duds.
Jackson Hately and Jye Caldwell? Two top 15 picks from the 2018 superdraft?

You mean sort of like Acres (24yo) 191cm, 86kg averages over 20 disposals per game.
You could say that....

But I will talk about Mundy 1st. He was pick 19 in 2003. A well used pick.

15-16 years and 300 games of service is good. His debut game was round 6, 2004 vs the demons at the MCG. He then played 160 straight games in a row.

From 2005-09 he was averaging like 15-16 disposals a game. He was given time to develop around Peter Bell, Troy Cook, Paul Hasleby, Shaun McManus, Josh Carr and Matt Carr. So Mundy worked alongside those work horses.

Then in 2010 he averaged 23 disposals a game. From 2010-19 he has averaged between 22-27 disposals a game. So he has been solid.

If you are a mid that averages 20 disposals a game, depending on who you are, your either a solid mid or a fringe player.

If you were averaging 15 disposals a game like Nick Suban or Clancee Pearce, then your are a dud or a role player.

But if you average 15 disposals a game but kick 20-30 goals on a forward flank, then you are going to be favoured well.

David Mundy is underrated out side of freo, had he been drafted to collingwood, he would get much more praise and multiple AA selections.

Gutted to Lose Brad Hill. But If Freo get the best out of Blake Acres, it will definately make up for the loss of Brad Hill.

As I said, Acres had a couple of 30 disposal games vs West coast and North in 2017 and Saints won both games.

If he returns to his 2017 and 2018 form when he averages 20 disposals a game and has the occasional 30 disposal game, I can be happy with that.

I would love Acres and Fyfe be our 2 main inside mid beasts and get 25-30 disposals each while working with the younger mids.

That's them. 7 and 2 games respectively for the seniors from them.

Actually like the idea of trading for Hately, could be cheap and has a big development scope, midfield of

C: Adam Cerra/Jackson Hately/Liam Henry
RR: Sean Darcy/Andrew Brayshaw/Caleb Serong

in 5 or 6 years could be pretty appetising assuming all live up to their potential

Actually like the idea of trading for Hately, could be cheap and has a big development scope, midfield of

C: Adam Cerra/Jackson Hately/Liam Henry
RR: Sean Darcy/Andrew Brayshaw/Caleb Serong

in 5 or 6 years could be pretty appetising assuming all live up to their potential

Trade what or whom..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back