Analysis 2017 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly I think it's a seriously favourable fixture to us all things considered.

6 interstate games: 2 in the NT (Gold Coast in Alice, Adelaide in Darwin), GWS @ Canberra, Adelaide @ Adelaide, Eagles @ Perth, North @ Tas

Double ups Against Adelaide, North, St Kilda, Collingwood, Carlton

Our bye comes the week after we play in Alice (finally)

Three games at the MCG to finish the season off.

We should play finals off the back of that.

Round 1 St Kilda vs Melbourne (Etihad)
Round 2 Melbourne vs Carlton (MCG) Home
Round 3 Geelong vs Melbourne (Etihad)
Round 4 Melbourne vs Fremantle (MCG) Home
Round 5 Richmond vs Melbourne (MCG) away
Round 6 Essendon vs Melbourne (Etihad)
Round 7 Melbourne vs Hawthorn (MCG) Home
Round 8 Adelaide vs Melbourne (AO) Saturday night
Round 9 Melbourne vs North Melbourne (MCG) Home
Round 10 Melbourne vs Gold Coast (Alice)
Round 11 Bye
Round 12 Melbourne vs Collingwood (QB)
Round 13 Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne (Etihad)
Round 14 West Coast vs Melbourne (Subiaco)
Round 15 Melbourne vs Sydney (MCG) Friday Night!
Round 16 Carlton vs Melbourne (MCG) away
Round 17 Melbourne vs Adelaide (Darwin)
Round 18 Melbourne vs Port Adelaide (MCG)
Round 19 North Melbourne vs Melbourne (TAS)
Round 20 GWS vs Melbourne (Camberra)
Round 21 Melbourne vs St kilda (MCG) Happy?
Round 22 Melbourne vs Brisbane (MCG)
Round 23 Collingwood vs Melbourne (MCG) away. TBC

Not too bad actually, I might have been preemptively overreacting this morning. Quick thoughts:

- No Etihad home games
- A Friday night home game
- Screwed with six day breaks
- No bye after the Darwin game but one after the Alice one so that's something
- Decent break of teams we play twice

You campaigners going to complain we got Etihad four times?

I'm Happy we actually play Geelong and Essendon there. Sick of playing away to the bombers at the G, and sick of going down the highway.
We have Two prime time FTA Night games in Melbourne. Hosting the swans on Friday and playing away to the tigers Monday night. Thought we might have gotten two friday games, but i sense the AFL is testing the waters with us.

I'm Happy we actually play Geelong and Essendon there. Sick of playing away to the bombers at the G, and sick of going down the highway.
We have Two prime time FTA Night games in Melbourne. Hosting the swans on Friday and playing away to the tigers Monday night. Thought we might have gotten two friday games, but i sense the AFL is testing the waters with us.

I think we'll go undefeated at Etihad. Not just this year, but forever.

rainbow

I have no problems with playing at Etihad as the away team. It's generally better than travelling interstate. Playing there as a home team was a farce though.

A Friday night game against Adelaide would be awesome, home or away. Would also love a home game at the MCG against the Pies or Dogs or even the Swans, our last few games against them have been a nothing game on a Saturday evening in s**t weather I feel. Put us up against Sydney on a Friday night or hot Saturday afternoon and give us something to ******* play for.
Holy s**t, I'm psychic. We're playing the Swans R15 at the MCG on a Friday night.

My God what a s**t fixture. 3 of our first 6 games at Etihad (at least one of those games is against the Cats). 3 interstate games in 6 weeks betweens rounds 8 and 14, and then 3 in 3 weeks between rounds 17 and 20. Longest streak of MCG games is 3, in the last 3 rounds of the season. Only saving grace is home games at the MCG v Carlton, Hawthorn, North, and St Kilda.

Why couldn't our game be during the early arvo? Sayyy 1.40 or something like they usually schedule it? I don't get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a results perspective we should win the bolded, and the underlined are 50/50:

1 Saturday, March 25 St Kilda Etihad Stadium Away 4.35pm Foxtel 2 Sunday, April
2 Carlton MCG Home 3.20pm Seven
3 Saturday, April 8 Geelong Cats Etihad Stadium Away 4.35pm Foxtel
4 Saturday, April 15 Fremantle MCG Home 1.45pm Foxtel
5 Monday, April 24 Richmond MCG Away 7.25pm Seven
6 Sunday, April 30 Essendon Etihad Stadium Away 1.10pm Foxtel

7 Sunday, May 7 Hawthorn MCG Home 3.20pm Seven
8 Saturday, May 13 Adelaide Crows Adelaide Oval Away 7.10pm Foxtel
9 Sunday, May 21 North Melbourne MCG Home 3.20pm Seven
10 Saturday, May 27 Gold Coast SUNS TIO Traeger Park Home 4.05pm Foxtel

11 Bye
12 Monday, June 12 Collingwood MCG Home 3.20pm Seven
13 Sunday, June 18 Western Bulldogs Etihad Stadium Away 3.20pm Foxtel
14 Saturday, June 24 West Coast Eagles Domain Stadium Away 5.40pm Seven
15 Friday, June 30 Sydney Swans MCG Home 7.50pm Seven
16 Sunday, July 9 Carlton MCG Away 3.20pm Seven
17 Saturday, July 15 Adelaide Crows TIO Stadium Home 7.10pm Seven
18 Saturday, July 22 Port Adelaide MCG Home 2.10pm Foxtel
19 Saturday, July 29 North Melbourne Blundstone Arena Away 1.45pm Foxtel

20 Saturday, August 5 GWS GIANTS Manuka Oval Away 1.45pm Foxtel
21 Sunday, August 13 St Kilda MCG Home 1.10pm Foxtel
22 Sunday, August 20 Brisbane Lions MCG Home 1.10pm Foxtel
23 TBC Collingwood MCG Away TBC TBC

If we can sneak 3/5 of the 50-50 games and win 8/10 of the should wins, and then jag one back against Adelaide or WC, we'll end with 12 wins. A decent result, maybe enough for 8th place. But if we're going to make finals we're going to need to either beat all of the teams that finished below us this year + North + Port + the Saints at least, or we're going to have to knock off a giant or two.

I reckon we should be pretty happy with that fixture.

- 12 games at the MCG
- 5 games on 'neutral' grounds
- Only five games against opposition on their home ground (excluding the MCG)

If we can maintain form and avoid too many injuries...

My God what a s**t fixture. 3 of our first 6 games at Etihad (at least one of those games is against the Cats). 3 interstate games in 6 weeks betweens rounds 8 and 14, and then 3 in 3 weeks between rounds 17 and 20. Longest streak of MCG games is 3, in the last 3 rounds of the season. Only saving grace is home games at the MCG v Carlton, Hawthorn, North, and St Kilda.

My first reaction was this too. Theoretically we should lose to Nth and Saints. We play them twice. 3 games at Etihad too means we lose another couple of games! We have to break some hoodoos next season or we are screwed. Challenge is in front of them..

I think it's a pretty good fixture
Doubles ups against no one likely to be top 4

Both essendon and geelong have to play home games against at Etihad which means we have a chance to win some games their
Only once to Adelaide an once to west coast

No need for us to complain about that

Not going to lie, i hate the 4:45 games. But i'm glad they're both at Etihad otherwise i wouldn't be able to attend them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back