2017-18 NHL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Crucial dropped point by the Avs, 3-1 lead with just over 7 minutes remaining could come back to haunt them
Hoping they beat the Kings but it'll be a back-to-back for them after a tough loss.

Think Kings will get up.

Actually, Boston are likely to finish top now even if Tampa beat them. They play one more game than Tampa and should win the rest.

I think Tampa might prefer the Leafs to the Devils anyway.
Tampa basically have to win that game in regulation.

The devils are definitely an easier opponent than the leafs.

I would be mega pissed with this standings system if I was Toronto.

Their best season in decades and they've been better than anyone in the Metro so far. Their reward in the first round is the team that's been the best in the east for the majority of the season, or the team that's the best in the east now.

Tampa basically have to win that game in regulation.

The devils are definitely an easier opponent than the leafs.

Their best season in decades and they've been better than anyone in the Metro so far. Their reward in the first round is the team that's been the best in the east for the majority of the season, or the team that's the best in the east now.
Just the luck of the system. Rangers finished in the WC spot last year with a better record than anyone in the Atlantic and poor Columbus drew the Pens first round

Boo hoo. The Patrick Division clubs don't have the pleasure of feasting on the tripe otherwise known as the Habs, Politicians, Red Wings and Sabres more often than the top three clubs in the Adams Division.

Just the luck of the system. Rangers finished in the WC spot last year with a better record than anyone in the Atlantic and poor Columbus drew the Pens first round
Its a s**t system that has no reason to be like that. Just make it 1-8 & 2-7 & 3-6 etc.

3 shouldn't have 2 in the first round and vice versa.

I'm not sure why I care about what happens to the maple leafs. Just would understand their frustration.

Boo hoo. The Patrick Division clubs don't have the pleasure of feasting on the tripe otherwise known as the Habs, Politicians, Red Wings and Sabres more often than the top three clubs in the Adams Division.

Well not really boo hoo. The rest of the atlantic having 4 teams that are s**t is a situation that is isolated to this year. Toronto/Boston/Tampa/Florida still have to play each other and beat plenty of other teams in the league.

This s**t standings playoff seed system is something that will continue until someone grows a brain and changes it.

They tried that system in the past and didn't like it.

I'll take the interesting first road divisional playoff series vs ho-hum 1 v 8 etc "fair" first round series any day of the week.

I seem to remember they wanted to build divisional rivalries?

And this is at the expense of having a ‘worse’ team advance at the expense of a better one.

I seem to remember they wanted to build divisional rivalries?

And this is at the expense of having a ‘worse’ team advance at the expense of a better one.
Divisional rivalries and original 6 rivalries arent going to disappear with the restoration of a playoff seeding that actually makes sense.

They tried that system in the past and didn't like it.

I'll take the interesting first road divisional playoff series vs ho-hum 1 v 8 etc "fair" first round series any day of the week.

Just because the seeding order of playoffs is linear definitely does not make the series ho hum. The NHL isn't the NBA.

Most fans who want to see their 2nd seed in the conference team compete for a cup would also disagree with this assessment when they are bracketed next to the 3rd seed in the first round.

Divisional rivalries and original 6 rivalries arent going to disappear with the restoration of a playoff seeding that actually makes sense.

Just because the seeding order of playoffs is linear definitely does not make the series ho hum. The NHL isn't the NBA.

Most fans who want to see their 2nd seed in the conference team compete for a cup would also disagree with this assessment when they are bracketed next to the 3rd seed in the first round.
Some of the series were ho-hum, but occasionally you'd get an 8 seed winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one was complaining about "fairness" in the 80s when series like:
Habs v Nordiques
Habs v Bruins
Oilers v Flames
Flames v Jets
Oiler v Jets
Canucks v Flames
Islanders v Rangers
Flyers v Penguins
Hawks v Blues
I could go on and on...

it consistently created fantastic viewing. Not sure why they ever changed it.

No one complained and wanted 1v8 2v7 etc series in the 80s nor the fact that the Norris Division usually produced a dud.

well i'm sure they were some people questioning why you would have a 21 team league and have 16 of them make the playoffs.....

I much preferred the previous system. I'm sure this system was great in the 80's, but the league has changed. there's 10 more teams (soon to be 11) and with that comes divisions where most of the teams don't have rivalries with each other (particularly in the west). It doesn't seem like artificially trying to create some rivalries will do much, and sure enough it's been 4 odd years and it hasn't really done much. They'll stick with it because they care more about money than playoff integrity though

maybe they should just let the east coast keep this money making version and let the west have 1 to 8.

I loved the old format. 1 v 8, 2 v 7 etc. Especially when it comes to the 2nd round. The highest remaining seed in the 2nd round should play the lowest remaining seed ...our current format denies boston that right. ( if top seeds win out)

I don't really care if its division opponent in the first round. There has been amazing playoff series amongst non division opponents.

If we used the old format we would have these match ups. (Using current standings and the old system if div winners getting the top seeds). Looks pretty exciting to me.

1 Boston vs 8 New Jersey
2 Washington vs 7 Philadelphia
3 Tampa vs 6 columbus
4 Toronto vs 5 Pittsburgh

Toronto would rightfully get home ice in the 1st round

1 Nashville vs 8 Colorado
2 Vegas vs 7 LA
3 Winnipeg vs 6 Anaheim
4 San Jose vs 5 Minnesota

Not much of a change in the west outside of seedings. But again should winnipeg end up with more pts than vegas come seasons end...the top 2 seeds could be playing in the 2nd round in both conferences

Cats still alive just.
The Caps have given a leg up to the Avs by knocking off St Louis but they are currently not holding up their end of it and are 2-0 to the Kings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back