Rumour 2013 Trade and Free Agent Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

I would take Garlett in a heartbeat, would have gambled on him last year.

Agree. Crichton or Garlett ... one was almost certain to be delisted, the other may have been if his behaviour didn't improve. It makes absolutely no sense to me, but then again, none of the clubs touched him. I hardly think one player could have disrupted the playing group. If he played up, then banish him, only to be seen again if he improved.

If there was something so drastically wrong with Garlett last year that stopped all of the clubs from picking him, I wouldn't be surprised if he is never selected.

Agree. Crichton or Garlett ... one was almost certain to be delisted, the other may have been if his behaviour didn't improve. It makes absolutely no sense to me, but then again, none of the clubs touched him. I hardly think one player could have disrupted the playing group. If he played up, then banish him, only to be seen again if he improved.

If there was something so drastically wrong with Garlett last year that stopped all of the clubs from picking him, I wouldn't be surprised if he is never selected.

I thought it has been discussed already that neither WA clubs showed any interest in Garlett in recent meetings. There were a few East Coast clubs that were looking at him, North being one of them.

Cupcake, not muffin i.e. with sweet ass ******* icing.

Sweet ass ******* icing!! Of course, that's how you differentiate between a cupcake and a muffin - it's obvious now I think about it, but never really thought they are fundamentally different - mum made cupcakes without icing so I blame my deprived childhood. I knew these boards could be good for something during trade week(s).

I have no idea what your mum was dishing up, but they sure as hell weren't cupcakes. I'm going to guess they were something healthy. Good hustle PapaJ's mum. Good hustle.

So less than 48 hours to go hey?
I don't know why people complain about the length of trade period, there has been so much action today with trades zinging around left right and centre it is hard to keep up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So less than 48 hours to go hey?
I don't know why people complain about the length of trade period, there has been so much action today with trades zinging around left right and centre it is hard to keep up.

I don't know why people complain about the length of trade period either, it's not supposed to be for entertainment, it's about allowing teams to manage their lists in the best way possible.
It doesn't help that this period also coincides with the majority of players going on holiday.

I don't know why people complain about the length of trade period either, it's not supposed to be for entertainment, it's about allowing teams to manage their lists in the best way possible.
It doesn't help that this period also coincides with the majority of players going on holiday.

I'm not fussed much either way but the extension was more about keeping the AFL in the news during the off season than about teams needing longer to get deals done.

I think the issue is that free agents can't be officially offered contracts until the first weekend of the trade period, then the AFL doesn't arrange compensation picks until the last weekend of the trade period.

I don't envy a list manager in this period. You have no idea who will accept your free agent offers, or what pick you have to trade until the last week, meanwhile other options show up and the player you need to want to move clubs is in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, the free agency period should've started and finished earlier so that teams didn't have to wait 2 weeks for their compo picks, hopefully next year it'll be made even easier still with the abolishment of FA compo picks. Failing that, end FA after the 1st week of Trade period.

Yeah, the free agency period should've started and finished earlier so that teams didn't have to wait 2 weeks for their compo picks, hopefully next year it'll be made even easier still with the abolishment of FA compo picks. Failing that, end FA after the 1st week of Trade period.

I don't mind having the FA period the same as the trading period as it gives clubs flexibility in filling needs. They just need to assign the compo picks straight away (if they still have them) so they don't hold up the whole process. There should be an existing compo matrix based on contract size, length and age of player. Let the free market decide on how much the player is worth.

I don't mind having the FA period the same as the trading period as it gives clubs flexibility in filling needs. They just need to assign the compo picks straight away (if they still have them) so they don't hold up the whole process. There should be an existing compo matrix based on contract size, length and age of player. Let the free market decide on how much the player is worth.

Nah they should just get rid of the compo altogether.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back