Team Mgmt. 2012 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just off the top of my head Geelong had a pretty ordinary year in every capacity in 2006. Performance and injury wise. Didn't seem to stop them in 2007 though.

I was listening when you called up. You have a beautiful voice.. unlike Roo who sounds like he always has a cold.

I found 2007s
A short list of soft tissue
As advised by the club, 18/9/2007
Kane Tenace Hamstring Test (Was 'Test' last week)
Sam Hunt Hamstring Test
(On track)

As advised by the club, 18/7/2007
Ryan Gamble Groin Test (New)
Max Rooke Hamstring 4-5 weeks (Heading to Europe to seek a cure)
As advised by the club, 12/6/2007
David Johnson Calf Strain Test (May play in place of Rooke)
As advised by the club, 29/5/2007
Henry Playfair Hamstring strain 1-2 weeks (On track)
Liam Bedford Quad strain 1 week (NEW)

As advised by the club, updated 15/5/2007
Nathan Djerrkura Quad strain 1-2 weeks (New)

As advised by the club, updated 8/5/2007

Stephen Owen General soreness Test (New)
Paul Chapman Hamstring 1-2 weeks (New)

As advised by the club, updated 24/4/2007
Gary Ablett Calf Test (Sustained on the weekend)

Got on the radio [Triple M] tonight after the bombers game:

Asked the boys what Geelongs Soft Tissues Issues were like the first few years with the Weapon before thier Preimerships

The answer was too hard for them to answer so Rucuitto just replyed Essendon were Skinny and Small two years ago now they are Big and that comes with great consequences from pushing it to the limit gettin that Big Quick

Reason i start this thread is does anyone know what their soft tissue injuries were like before the 3 premierships
Dean Robinson's first year was the year of their first premiership... 2007
So not really relevant what their soft tissue injuries prior to this were.

FWIW I have no idea what Geelong's soft tissue injuries were like in 2007, but I doubt any side can be that dominant over the entire competition with an extensive list, so would assume they weren't too bad.

Got on the radio [Triple M] tonight after the bombers game:

Asked the boys what Geelongs Soft Tissues Issues were like the first few years with the Weapon before thier Preimerships

The answer was too hard for them to answer so Rucuitto just replyed Essendon were Skinny and Small two years ago now they are Big and that comes with great consequences from pushing it to the limit gettin that Big Quick

Reason i start this thread is does anyone know what their soft tissue injuries were like before the 3 premierships

Mentioned this in another thread.

Geelong sacked their fitness/conditioning guy Loris Bertolacci during 2006 - Geelong failed to run out games - led a few games at half time and three quarter time and lost.

Robinson came on board during 2007, and to my knowledge Geelong didn't suffer a great many soft tissue injuries - It's important to realise that he took over an older list.

It is more prudent to look at his time at the GC in 2010/2011 - Took over a list comprising mainly teenagers - And again there were no major outbreaks of soft tissue injuries.

Robinson was employed to ramp up the conditioning after Joe Cormack couldn't/wouldn't improve player's conditioning.

Younger players - Thinking first/second year players have had no serious issues with soft tissue injuries - except for Browne - Guys like Steinberg/Ross/O'Brien/Davis have suffered impact injuries.

My worry is that durable players in Zaharakis/Ryder have suddenly come down with first time soft tissue injuries - Then again our crocks in Hooker/Watson have escaped unscathed.

For all the negativity about the soft tissue injuries there should be equal adulation for how we've been able to run out games. I remember a few years when if we didn't have a 5 goal lead heading into the last we were gone, of course a lot of this can be attributed the natual progression of guys getting pre seasons and more senior games into them but a kudos should be given to the current staff for how we've been able to finish games off.

There's been some causalities along the way this year, which sucks, because as fans we have that emotional attachment that makes it hard to step back and think about the long term aspect of what the club has set out to achieve since we've seen how well the team can play and also because of the down period the club has had so people sort of want things to happen now. I think the panic will be a lot more justified if at the same time next year the problems havn't been reduced. I'm not really sure if any of that made a ton of sense but i've wanted to do a little bit of a rant about less emotional and more rational long term thinking for a bit so I hope I got that across.

For all the negativity about the soft tissue injuries there should be equal adulation for how we've been able to run out games. I remember a few years when if we didn't have a 5 goal lead heading into the last we were gone, of course a lot of this can be attributed the natual progression of guys getting pre seasons and more senior games into them but a kudos should be given to the current staff for how we've been able to finish games off.
Agree; and this is a great point.
There's only so much you can do to minimise injuries.
It's a running game, it's extremely tough on hammies/groins/quads.
Always has been, always will be.
But what you have to do is make sure the list is prepared to play footy.
They appear to be very well prepared.

There's been some causalities along the way this year, which sucks, because as fans we have that emotional attachment that makes it hard to step back and think about the long term aspect of what the club has set out to achieve since we've seen how well the team can play and also because of the down period the club has had so people sort of want things to happen now. I think the panic will be a lot more justified if at the same time next year the problems havn't been reduced. I'm not really sure if any of that made a ton of sense but i've wanted to do a little bit of a rant about less emotional and more rational long term thinking for a bit so I hope I got that across.
Is the situation any worse than our last 2-3 years under Quinn, or Cormack?
IMHO, no.

Guys used to miss slabs of 10 for hammie injuries, recovery, re-injury, then 2 weeks to get up to pace when they did get back.
This year, most of our injuries have been one-offs, and guys have returned without really missing a beat.
Even Myers, Gumby, Dempsey.
If he gets Winders back and firing (all 4 of the permanent residents of the Scot Gumbleton wing), the man is a genius.

For all the negativity about the soft tissue injuries there should be equal adulation for how we've been able to run out games.

Absolutely. What I've been saying all along.

The improvement that Robinson has brought about is already quantifiable.

Agreed!

The real up side is you look at the players coming back for selection from now on in its ridiculously good
gonna be some real pressure on players to keep thier spots in the best 22

Zaharakis
Ryder
Hurley
Winderlich
Crameri
Ross
Prismall

Of the top of my head

Imagine...if we had our best 25 fit for the whole season...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bomber-stars-return-20120719-22blt.html

Essendon coach James Hird has spent the season with headaches at the selection table and a glut of injuries, but the Bombers are on the verge of pulling their full list together.
With the injury-prone Scott Gumbleton having resumed in the seniors last weekend, Hird could soon boast a power-packed forward line that includes Gumbleton, Hurley and Ryder.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bomber-stars-return-20120719-22blt.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the Age it had Hird saying that Hurley would be close to returning next week and Paddy the week after that. Zaharakis is three weeks away. Should have all our players back soon.

Other than Zacha, most of these soft tissues have been minor so hopefully Hirdy is right when he says Hurls next week, Ryder 2 weeks & Zacha 3 weeks - add in Crameri this week & Hocking back from suspension next & she's coming together nicely for a late season run.

On Triple MMM before the Hawthorn game. Sam Newman asked Bomber Thompson what have they done differently than he did at Geelong and if they noticed a difference that would explain why they have had such a debilitating run of injuries.

Bomber said the main thing was that the Geelong boys could handle the work and the Essendon boys can't absorb the work.

Can listen to it from 28 minutes onwards to about 33 minutes here. http://austereo.castmetrix.net/podcast/378302368699192612/1/TheRubFriday27thJuly2012.mp3

Thanks for the link.

These injuries were expected. Perhaps we didn't know it would be quite so bad, but this was always Bomber's plan. People just need to chill. All this talk of "sack the Weapon!" is just rubbish. People are too impatient.

It's not a one-year thing. It will take 2 or 3 seasons. They've always said that would be the case. If we're still having these problems in a year or so, then it will be a worry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back