2010 Season Begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a spare minute or 6 hours, so I worked out the average ages of the respective TDFL teams from the weekend's round of matches. (Mitta coach in the paper saying his team was very young got me thinking).

Dederang had the youngest team on Saturday, with an average age of 21.94 yrs.
Tallangatta 22.28
Barnawartha 22.45
Mitta 22.65
Thurgoona 23.91
Wahgunyah 23.98
Beechworth 24.22
Wodonga 24.40
Kiewa 24.64
Yackandandah 25.18
Chiltern 25.49
Rutherglen 25.58

Jack Kenett of Mitta was the youngest player to play senior football in Round 17 at 15.62 years, one of 4 15 year olds to play and 3 16 yr olds and 13 17 yr olds. Dederang & Wahgunyah had the most teenagers, with 8 each.
Scott Francis of Rutherglen was the oldest player to take the field at 43.09 yrs, the Cats sharing the honour of having the most players in their 30's with Wodonga, both on 5. Both Tallangatta & Dederang had no players over 30 with the oldest Dederang player being an incredible 26.72.
Not sure what it all means but of the oldest 6 teams, 4 of them are in the finals, and only 1 of the youngest half. Understand that the teams that cannot make the finals would probably be trying a few young guys at this stage of the season.

Does anyone know of players leaving tallangatt & dfl? looking for players to play in a club in the ovens and king?

heard a rumor that the thurgoona coach had been given the boot is this true ??????

Just been through all your posts goose.Of all the bullshit you have written on here-this just about tops it.Continually you put stuff on here that just isn't true.To post something with absolutely no truth yet again doesn't even deserve to be responded to but you are a serial liar.Go back to your rented home;your unskilled labouring job and your defacto girlfriend that you would have had shared a slab of Jim Beam with last night whilst the kids were running amok and leave the real footy stuff to the others on this site.LOOSER

Well, the business end of the season is well & truly upon us, with only 1 round remaining before the 2010 final series begins, and whilst the final combatants have been settled for some time, Yack's loss against Mitta last week has opened up the possibility of Beechworth stealing the week off, which Yack have had a mortgage over all year. If Beechworth win, top spot will be theirs, but if Yack win by 20-23 points they can take it back again. Thurgoona can only move from 3rd to 2nd assuming they beat Barny but will still appear in the Qualifying Final either way against Yack or Beechworth. Kiewa may move from 5th to 4th assuming they beat Chiltern and Wodonga Saints somehow knock of Rutherglen, however not only is that extremely unlikely but it is also merely academic, as Kiewa will play Rutherglen in the Elimination Final regardless of this weekends results.
Monday night sees the Barton Medal count at the Commercial Club. Yackandandah's Brent Lewington seems to be his club's best chance of following up John Paola's surprise 2009 win. Beechworth and Thurgoona may be a little too even across the board to be capable of producing the winner, but Nick Dillon, Brenton Surrey & Brayden Carey may be the Bushies best votegetters, whilst Lucas Mellier and Danny Hargreaves are proven pollers for the Dogs. Rutherglen is my tip to produce the winner in Ash Sibraa, although Matt Glossop and Jamie Seymour may take a few away. Travis Knight and Julian Day have had good seasons for the Hawks and have been known to catch the umpires eye in the past. Daniel Stewart will top Mitta's poll as will Cameron McNeil at Barny. Chiltern may have a few in the mix with Brenday Way, Cameron Cassidy & Terry Symonds enjoying good seasons whilst Andrew Hill (Ded), Andrew Robertson (Wah) and Tyson Gorupic (Tal) will poll well for their respective clubs. Hard to see any Saints boys polling enough to win but Clayton Wood or Josh Eyre should top their club's voting. And if I don't get the winner in there somewhere, I'm giving up.
Thurgoona's Thomas Stead will take out the League's goalkicking award, being 23 ahead after the penultimate round.

thats easier said than done, we are getting raped by the bulldogs but there is simply nowhere else to go. we have had extensive talks to council but there is nowhere to go, believe me we do want our own ground but the council have told us they aren't going to build another ground in Wodonga for 5-10 yrs and they wont upgrade MP 2 so that leaves us stranded. as for the coach he is a great guy but is understandably frustrated and would be disappointed with the way he reacted on the weekend.

Welcome back HAWK, heard youve been in a hotter enviroment with a big rock.
On this occasion I will agree in principal with the geographical prediciment your club your is in. Don't know what the answer is. Back to Bethanga, or Upper Murray???Having played/visited the ground out there in some capacity your facilities are better than Bulliohs as they stand at the moment.
Any league needs to support a struggling club in any capacity it can, and i don't think personally the TDFL gives a stuff about yourselves.
I gather when you talk about "R" word it is in reference to the financial arrangement with the Bulldogs. Don't know anything about it so wont comment.
As for your comment "as for the coach he is a great guy ", he very well maybe and thats a big maybe,but the question and motivating factors for the club should be, will he advance and progress the club on the field.
My opinion ,( and yes opinions are like rear ends everyone has them), he is not.

Get on the Cats, we are setting ourselves for September. No 3 is close.

To switch the play. You had me right up to the point when you went off on your psychedelic ramblings and having a crack at just about every social level in society.BAD CALL. We cant all be happily married (theres an oxymoron) brain surgeon /capitalist or enjoy fine wine with well behaved kids. Some like to enjoy life.

thats easier said than done, we are getting raped by the bulldogs but there is simply nowhere else to go. we have had extensive talks to council but there is nowhere to go, believe me we do want our own ground but the council have told us they aren't going to build another ground in Wodonga for 5-10 yrs and they wont upgrade MP 2 so that leaves us stranded. as for the coach he is a great guy but is understandably frustrated and would be disappointed with the way he reacted on the weekend.

Welcome back HAWK, heard youve been in a hotter enviroment with a big rock.
On this occasion I will agree in principal with the geographical prediciment your club your is in. Don't know what the answer is. Back to Bethanga, or Upper Murray???Having played/visited the ground out there in some capacity your facilities are better than Bulliohs as they stand at the moment.
Any league needs to support a struggling club in any capacity it can, and i don't think personally the TDFL gives a stuff about yourselves.
I gather when you talk about "R" word it is in reference to the financial arrangement with the Bulldogs. Don't know anything about it so wont comment.
As for your comment "as for the coach he is a great guy ", he very well maybe and thats a big maybe,but the question and motivating factors for the club should be, will he advance and progress the club on the field.
My opinion ,( and yes opinions are like rear ends everyone has them), he is not.
Maybe they should think outside the square and consider suggestion of relocation/switching league's as it isn't as far fetched as it sounds, lets look at the facts.

*They have barely made the finals in the last 20 years and this short term success have followed with winless seasons
*They haven't won a flag in the TDFL for 80 years
*They have little or no support since moving into Wodonga
*They don't have the same financial backing of the stronger TDFL clubs
*I agree with Cat3 that it seems the league and any of its clubs don't really care about its long term future
*The council has no long term plans for any senior club out at Baranduda and are in no financial position to provide strong support for a move
*They really don't have any identity

Worst case scenario, they be competitive in a league more their size and structure, whilst building their identity, although juniors and extra travel would be a concern. Best case is that they have the chance to be a strong, successful club within only a couple of years rather than struggle in the TDFL to the point of extinction. Anyone's thoughts?

*They have barely made the finals in the last 20 years and this short term success have followed with winless seasons
*They haven't won a flag in the TDFL for 80 years
*They have little or no support since moving into Wodonga
*They don't have the same financial backing of the stronger TDFL clubs
*They really don't have any identity
May as well rename this the WS Bashing thread... cause thats all that seem to keep coming up.
I can tell you the club is going forward in leaps and bounds and the committee is committed to getting the right people in the right places and doing its best to get more people on board to help build the club up.
I think they made GF's in 1992 & 2004 with only one flag and that's the thirds last year. Multiple flags in the netball over the past 10yrs.
Support is growing, it's always going to be tough for a new club to get support in a town dominated by Raiders & Bulldogs supporters with bulldogs being over 100yrs old(120?).
The clubs commitment to juniors in the past 2-3 years will pay off in the next few years. Without juniors in the past, the club has struggled to retain players & supporters. The more success the juniors get the better the club will become in the future. The under 14's just had their first win last week after god knows how long. The thirds again this year are on the improve winning 4 out the last 5 games. Rebuilding from a whole new side with just 1 or 2 players remaining young enough to play from last years premiership side.
Identity will come with age, I think the club is 10 years old next year.
Moving league's is only going backwards and that is not in the clubs goals. Moving league will just mean the club would need to be rebuilt up again and start from scratch, what a waste of 10years.

Wodonga is a big enough town to support 3 teams and as it grows so to will the Wodonga Saints.
Oh and obviously the only goal for some people is to win GF, it's not the only goal of a footy club. At the moment the saints, I'd say it's about creating a great club where people want to come support us, play footy and enjoy being around the club. Getting and retaining the players is half the fun. That's what this season has been about, building a base with people that want to be at the club, want to make it better and doing everything they can to achieve that, we all knew it was going to be tough, with the 2 senior coaches that said they were on board late last season, pulling out and finding new ones come January this year. It was always going to be tough year with only a few players staying from last year, when nobody had their contracts renewed from last season, they all left. So the clubs looking at the future and the committee and coaching staff are already in recruiting mode for next year and things are looking up & players signing on for next year already.
Want to know more, come to the Golden Halo Draw this Sunday at the club rooms, $50 a ticket and a chance to win $3,000 and their will be some beer and BBQ for you to enjoy.
http://www.wodongasaints.com/index....-a-coming-social-events-at-the-club&Itemid=11

I hear finals are almost here and thats what I want to know about. Who's out injured for finals? Who will go out in straight sets thiis year? Any tips for this weekend? Can the Saints upset Rutherglen... :D

May as well rename this the WS Bashing thread... cause thats all that seem to keep coming up.
I can tell you the club is going forward in leaps and bounds and the committee is committed to getting the right people in the right places and doing its best to get more people on board to help build the club up.
I think they made GF's in 1992 & 2004 with only one flag and that's the thirds last year. Multiple flags in the netball over the past 10yrs.
Support is growing, it's always going to be tough for a new club to get support in a town dominated by Raiders & Bulldogs supporters with bulldogs being over 100yrs old(120?).
The clubs commitment to juniors in the past 2-3 years will pay off in the next few years. Without juniors in the past, the club has struggled to retain players & supporters. The more success the juniors get the better the club will become in the future. The under 14's just had their first win last week after god knows how long. The thirds again this year are on the improve winning 4 out the last 5 games. Rebuilding from a whole new side with just 1 or 2 players remaining young enough to play from last years premiership side.
Moving league's is only going backwards and that is not in the clubs goals. Moving league will just mean the club would need to be rebuilt up again and start from scratch, what a waste of 10years.

Wodonga is a big enough town to support 3 teams and as it grows so to will the Wodonga Saints.
Oh and obviously the only goal for some people is to win GF, it's not the only goal of a footy club. At the moment the saints, I'd say it's about creating a great club where people want to come support us, play footy and enjoy being around the club. Getting and retaining the players is half the fun. That's what this season has been about, building a base with people that want to be at the club, want to make it better and doing everything they can to achieve that, we all knew it was going to be tough, with the 2 senior coaches that said they were on board late last season, pulling out and finding new ones come January this year. It was always going to be tough year with only a few players staying from last year, when nobody had their contracts renewed from last season, they all left. So the clubs looking at the future and the committee and coaching staff are already in recruiting mode for next year and things are looking up & players signing on for next year already.
Want to know more, come to the Golden Halo Draw this Sunday at the club rooms, $50 a ticket and a chance to win $3,000 and their will be some beer and BBQ for you to enjoy.
http://www.wodongasaints.com/index....-a-coming-social-events-at-the-club&Itemid=11

I hear finals are almost here and thats what I want to know about. Who's out injured for finals? Who will go out in straight sets thiis year? Any tips for this weekend? Can the Saints upset Rutherglen... :D
well said indeed

No hope, if you gut's think you are in the right direction why is the rumour ripe that your so (good coach) is up on report for the spray he gave the umpires against barny at half time????

have sides run out of puff late in the season or is it that beechworth are firing on all cylinders. thurgoona by 50, ritherglen by 30 and now yak by 80... they must be the side to beat. any ones thoughts on beechworth as premiers 2010

Can the Saints upset Rutherglen... :D

I have 252 reasons why they won't.

Haha in all seriousness, no way Beechworth will lose it from here IMO.

Absolutely destroyed Yackandandah and the only way I can see them losing is if the pressure of a Grand Final gets to them, (which you can never rule out), but I seriously doubt it'll happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I
I think these are only possible suggestions if your club has no other alternative if the situation with the Bulldogs doesnt improve for you guys. No one wants to see any club fold or be forced to merge. Hopefully the Saints can reward the guys who have stuck with them and can turn it all around. Best of luck for 2011.:)

what a disgrace the Tallangatta Legue officials are, awarding the Under 14's Best and Fairest then ringing his father the next day to say that they need to take it back off him because of a mistake with the counting. Needless to say the kid is shattered.:mad:

what a disgrace the Tallangatta Legue officials are, awarding the Under 14's Best and Fairest then ringing his father the next day to say that they need to take it back off him because of a mistake with the counting. Needless to say the kid is shattered.:mad:
You must be joking. What a balls up, someones head should roll for this one. That is an absolute disgrace. I hope the young blokes ok and receives a formal and public apology. bad play:thumbsdown:

Can anyone list the team of the year? I haven't heard anything about it
BACKS
Kyle Roberts , Wylie Jackson , Danny DeMarte
(Yack) (Kiewa) (Barny)

HALF BACKS

Brenden Way, Dane Tobias, Travis Knight
(Chiltern) (Wah) (Kiewa)

CENTERS

Mat Glossop, Dan Stewart , Ash Sibrea
(Ruth) (Mitta) (Ruth)

HALF FORWARDS

Nick Dillon, Troy Withers, Brent Lewington
(B'worth) (Barny) (Yack)

FORWARDS

Brenton Surry, Thomas Stead, Kevin Pretty
(B'worth) (Thur) (Yack)

FOLLOWERS

Stephen Bradshaw, Jamie Seymour, Brayden Carey
(Barny) (Ruth) (B'worth)

INTERCHANGE

Lucas Mellier, Joe Pashly, Terry Symonds
(Thur) (Tall) (Chilten)

Julian Day, Alex Beggs, Kade Surry
(Kiewa) (Mitta) (B'worth)

CAPTAIN

Brendan Way
(Chiltern)

COACH

Shaun Pritchard
(B'worth)

I see the rutherglen coach has come out in the paper and shown his ignorance over the Sandy Creek ground. Having played on the ground many times over the past 10 years or so, I have to say the issue with the ground isn't the surface but the facilities. The ground itself is equal or close to the best in the league. He says it's ridiculously heavy underfoot but no other ground in the league holds up better in the wet than this one, and i've seen it very wet but the next week you wouldn't know. Further to add to the point the argument has been about changing the grand final only not all the finals. The o&k which is often used as an argument for change still holds its finals at the district grounds, and only changed into wang for grand final to increase attendance and exposure.
In footy I think rutherglen will progress over kiewa. Both have been out of touch a bit lately, and although finals experience counts for something, rutherglen been a bit more consistent over the year. Yack will hit back and beat thurgoona but it's all futile in reality the bushies have one hand on the cup.

[NOP - Is this correct? Surely this can't be right... ]

It's more or less correct.

Full explanation in tomorrow's record apparently.

Either way I can imagine the kid would be understandably distressed about what has happened, likewise the league.

[NOP - Is this correct? Surely this can't be right... ]

100% correct, look i understand both sides where the kid that was awarded the medal being shattered for it being taken off him but can also understand that the kid that has won the award been rightfully rewarded with it. Just a disgraceful way the situation has been handled as it should never have come to this.

100% correct, look i understand both sides where the kid that was awarded the medal being shattered for it being taken off him but can also understand that the kid that has won the award been rightfully rewarded with it. Just a disgraceful way the situation has been handled as it should never have come to this.
[ WOW .... I'm gobsmacked. Speechless even.]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back