Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing is though, if we can all see it, what is North Recruitment doing?
This is one of the major reasons why we sit last on the ladder, destined to finish bottom 2 for the 5th consecutive year. Because Rawling and Claytons are imbeciles. :stern look

Last edited:
Who do we bring in for him? Agree with a lot you are all saying but what’s the solution? We need runners, we know that’s why Laz has been getting preference over WilPhil ect and Disco is a runner. Yes, he is a cat but who do we bring in? He is 22 with 50 games under his belt, I rekon we keep that going until we recruit someone else.

I knew Dylan as a youngster. Nice kid, and I think that’s his problem. Really wish I could come in here and defend him, but having watched his games this year, I just can’t. He’s not hard enough at the ball and while he runs a lot, it’s not to dangerous positions. Not even close to dangerous, it’s like he runs to spots he knows the ball won’t come to.

Who do we bring in for him? Agree with a lot you are all saying but what’s the solution? We need runners, we know that’s why Laz has been getting preference over WilPhil ect and Disco is a runner. Yes, he is a cat but who do we bring in? He is 22 with 50 games under his belt, I rekon we keep that going until we recruit someone else.

We have wingers.
Replacing him with just about anyone on the list would improve us.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Alright, give us a name? What’s your solution?

My solution is setting standards by not playing players whose effort is conditional and who add precisely nothing to the team. As for names - I'd rather have someone who, if they're having a bad day or are out of touch, still busts their arse for 100 minutes hunting the ball or the opponent with it rather than a someone who sets up at contests with his hands on his hips and then runs away from dangerous spots. That is, just about any other AFL footballer.

You pay pretty close attention to the under 18 comp, was he a reach at pick 6? I can’t see anything apart from his running that isn’t average.
I rated him as a junior but I didn’t have him inside the top 15 of the 2019 draft. I had kids like Dev Robertson, Trent Rivers, Jeremy Sharp and Harry Schoenberg ahead of him. I just couldn’t rate him that high because of his lack of contested game.

However, in juniors he wasn’t a straight up squib like he is now. His tackle numbers were decent and he seemed to be able to accumulate the footy far easier than he does now. I think everyone was projecting a powerful line breaking runner in the Isaac Smith mould but he really just hasn’t developed into that type of player at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I double agree.

Stephenson doesn’t deserve it based on VFL output, but at least he can play. The other bloke can’t.

I have a feeling that Stevo has checked out, but desperate times.
I think he has no confidence in his body, I reckon his hip injury has hurt him. Maybe thinks he's cooked. He was always soft tho. Better than this guy.

I rated him as a junior but I didn’t have him inside the top 15 of the 2019 draft. I had kids like Dev Robertson, Trent Rivers, Jeremy Sharp and Harry Schoenberg ahead of him. I just couldn’t rate him that high because of his lack of contested game.

However, in juniors he wasn’t a straight up squib like he is now. His tackle numbers were decent and he seemed to be able to accumulate the footy far easier than he does now. I think everyone was projecting a powerful line breaking runner in the Isaac Smith mould but he really just hasn’t developed into that type of player at all.

Could it be a confidence thing?

Could it be a confidence thing?
From all accounts in the pre
-season he was training the house down and looked good in the scratch matches. I would expect nothing less from an ex #5 pick on a brand new shiny 4 year deal. And once the real games started, it’s like he has flicked a switch where has form doesn’t justify selection any more. If you’re not playing well on a fat deal in a new club that is winless, then I imagine his confidence is rock bottom. Can Clarko do his famous crossing the line speech with this guy this week if he is going to pick him again? It is time for him to step up and show some good old G’n’D this week. He can take his fellow 4 year recruit Fickle Fisher to the Clarko speech during the week, as he has been awful as well 7 games in.

I knew Dylan as a youngster. Nice kid, and I think that’s his problem. Really wish I could come in here and defend him, but having watched his games this year, I just can’t. He’s not hard enough at the ball and while he runs a lot, it’s not to dangerous positions. Not even close to dangerous, it’s like he runs to spots he knows the ball won’t come to.
I’ve heard similar from people from his home town.

Can he be reinvented as a tagger with his elite running skills? We know he cannot play the Wing spot. He is way too soft to play down back. Not sure with 3.75 years to go what we do with him. Are we sure he has not been speaking to Jared Polec on the side and how to avoid the hard balls. Whoever signed off on this contract needs a very big mirror.

Imagine if he tagged someone like Petracca. How many tackles do you think he will stick?

Bloke was averaging 13 touches a game at the Swans, was kind of wondering what we saw in him when recruited, then looked good in the pre-season, and thought well ok fair enough. Now in 7 games, averaging 11 touches......having a break in season!.......Enough, reward form, bring in Curtis Taylor FFS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back