Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Spot on, had the worst recorded forward 50 entry efficiency in statistical history according to Champion data.
You love mentioning this stat but always leave out the one from that same year where we scored from his forward 50 entries more than anyone else's.

My off-season deep dive number five is Ollie Florent. (No need to panic, neighbours of mtooler! - it's just his security alarms that go off to alert him whenever the name 'Florent' is mentioned on Bigfooty.)

I for one am fascinated by Ollie Florent. I feel like he's played a lot of good footy, built his frame immensely, and even completely changed his role and position. Yet it feels like his career hasn't really gone anywhere. That's probably not entirely fair, and a bit of an insult to the 142 games he's played and - given he's missed only 2 of a possible 133 games in the last six seasons - his durability that can only come from great professionalism and conditioning.

When I say that his career hasn't gone anywhere, I mean that it feels like his career is in a perpetual state of progress and stagnation. He hovers around the edge of a cliff with his form, then does enough to avoid going over the edge of it, but never quite enough to avoid being near the edge in the first place.

His career timeline over the last few years has so many twists and turns you'd need to see a chiropractor after reading it.

Early 2020 - Plays awesome footy, featuring a few breakout games at the feet of Naismith. Has he finally arrived as an inside mid?
Late 2020 - Nope. He's pushed out to a wing with the arrival of Rowbottom and the (unsuccessful) experiment of Blakey to the midfield.
Early 2021 - Looks the goods on the wing, and has even improved his much-maligned kicking! He's found his position! Hooray!
Late 2021 - False alarm. Position going forward doesn't look that secure as he's lapped first by the arrival of Gulden, then the breakout of McInerney, then the move of Dawson to the wing.
Early 2022 - Dawson's departure affords him a lifeline, but he struggles and can't seem to make the wing work for him.
Late 2022 - Moved to defence and puts together what I think most would agree is his best half-season to date. Finally ends a season better placed than when he started it.
Early 2023 - Picks up where he left off with a handful of games that help him finish top 6 in the B&F.
Late 2023 - Drops away again and is now in a very interesting position...

Coming into free agency and at that age - 26 next year - where he'll be after a long-term deal to take him through to the back end of his career, but he probably hasn't yet earned such a deal.

Aside from this year, where he finished 6th in the B&F in a year where everyone below him (just 37 votes apart) all missed games, his highest finish in a B&F is 9th. He's not been in the leadership group and he's not a key position type like McLean, McDonald etc. He's just not that essential to our operations that the club would hand out a four year or more deal, and anything less would possibly have his agent "exploring options."

So how can he make himself that essential?

I think there are two things that are holding him back from taking that next step:

1. He doesn't have "a thing" (Get your mind out of the gutter.) What is the thing that Florent can stake his claim to that makes him irreplaceable in our side? If you look at that group of ground level players in our back-line - Cunningham, Lloyd, Florent, Blakey, and, occasionally, McInerney & Campbell - I don't really see the area where Florent stands out. If Horse & co want a hard lockdown job on a player, Cunningham's their man. If they want a rebounding weapon, then Blakey & Lloyd are more prolific there. If they want someone who can push up to the wing primarily, then McInerney with his run and Campbell with his kicking offer more. Florent does technically have something to offer in each of those areas, but it's just not as much as those mentioned.

2. He is inconsistent. This has pretty much been the story of his career. If he could replicate those six straight games where he had 20+ touches playing on the wing in 2018, he'd be one of the best wingmen in the comp right now. If he could replicate those first few games playing as an inside mid in 2020, he'd be one of the most damaging inside mids in the comp. And if he could replicate his best games from this year playing off half back, he probably doesn't miss out on top 5 of the B&F behind guys who missed games and played quite a few banged up.

I think there's an answer and it has a retro stache and goes by the name Jake Lloyd. I think that's a role Florent should be eyeing off. This is not me putting Lloyd out to pasture. Despite his age, I think his spot is safer than Florent's and he's just a better player. But it's the role I think Florent can transition into and be convincing enough in to make him a sure thing for the better part of the next decade. Win the ball in tight and in heavy traffic, then push forward with his running ability to get handball receives and kickstart rebounds. With his speed and (occasionally) elite kicking, Florent actually has the potential to be even better than Lloyd. A more damaging, high-powered version.

It's his best bet IMO, because I haven't really seen anything to suggest he'll be capable of taking lockdown jobs if required the way a Cunningham, Rampe or Mills could, nor will he - or anyone - be capable of the kind of balls-to-the-wall explosive rebounding that Blakey does. The cool, calm, hard-working organiser off half back though? Yeah, I can absolutely see that for Florent.

But there's no point playing in a certain way that dazzles and/or assures the coaches if you're not going to dazzle and assure every week. He's got to find that consistency that's eluded him in his career thus far. Close the gap between his best and worst footy. It's no secret that I believe in him, but by golly he sure tests that belief.

My off-season deep dive number five is Ollie Florent. (No need to panic, neighbours of mtooler! - it's just his security alarms that go off to alert him whenever the name 'Florent' is mentioned on Bigfooty.)

I for one am fascinated by Ollie Florent. I feel like he's played a lot of good footy, built his frame immensely, and even completely changed his role and position. Yet it feels like his career hasn't really gone anywhere. That's probably not entirely fair, and a bit of an insult to the 142 games he's played and - given he's missed only 2 of a possible 133 games in the last six seasons - his durability that can only come from great professionalism and conditioning.

When I say that his career hasn't gone anywhere, I mean that it feels like his career is in a perpetual state of progress and stagnation. He hovers around the edge of a cliff with his form, then does enough to avoid going over the edge of it, but never quite enough to avoid being near the edge in the first place.

His career timeline over the last few years has so many twists and turns you'd need to see a chiropractor after reading it.

Early 2020 - Plays awesome footy, featuring a few breakout games at the feet of Naismith. Has he finally arrived as an inside mid?
Late 2020 - Nope. He's pushed out to a wing with the arrival of Rowbottom and the (unsuccessful) experiment of Blakey to the midfield.
Early 2021 - Looks the goods on the wing, and has even improved his much-maligned kicking! He's found his position! Hooray!
Late 2021 - False alarm. Position going forward doesn't look that secure as he's lapped first by the arrival of Gulden, then the breakout of McInerney, then the move of Dawson to the wing.
Early 2022 - Dawson's departure affords him a lifeline, but he struggles and can't seem to make the wing work for him.
Late 2022 - Moved to defence and puts together what I think most would agree is his best half-season to date. Finally ends a season better placed than when he started it.
Early 2023 - Picks up where he left off with a handful of games that help him finish top 6 in the B&F.

Coming into free agency and at that age - 26 next year - where he'll be after a long-term deal to take him through to the back end of his career, but he probably hasn't yet earned such a deal.

Aside from this year, where he finished 6th in the B&F in a year where everyone below him (just 37 votes apart) all missed games, his highest finish in a B&F is 9th. He's not been in the leadership group and he's not a key position type like McLean, McDonald etc. He's just not that essential to our operations that the club would hand out a four year or more deal, and anything less would possibly have his agent "exploring options."

I think there are two things that are holding him back from taking that next step:

1. He doesn't have "a thing" (Get your mind out of the gutter.) What is the thing that Florent can stake his claim to that makes him irreplaceable in our side? If you look at that group of ground level players in our back-line - Cunningham, Lloyd, Florent, Blakey, and, occasionally, McInerney & Campbell - I don't really see the area where Florent stands out. If Horse & co want a hard lockdown job on a player, Cunningham's their man. If they want a rebounding weapon, then Blakey & Lloyd are more prolific there. If they want someone who can push up to the wing primarily, then McInerney with his run and Campbell with his kicking offer more. Florent does technically have something to offer in each of those areas, but it's just not as much as those mentioned.

2. He is inconsistent. This has pretty much been the story of his career. If he could replicate those six straight games where he had 20+ touches playing on the wing in 2018, he'd be one of the best wingmen in the comp right now. If he could replicate those first few games playing as an inside mid in 2020, he'd be one of the most damaging inside mids in the comp. And if he could replicate his best games from this year playing off half back, he probably doesn't miss out on top 5 of the B&F behind guys who missed games and played quite a few banged up.

I think there's an answer and it has a retro stache and goes by the name Jake Lloyd. I think that's a role Florent should be eyeing off. This is not me putting Lloyd out to pasture. Despite his age, I think his spot is safer than Florent's and he's just a better player. But it's the role I think Florent can transition into and be convincing enough in to make him a sure thing for the better part of the next decade. Win the ball in tight and in heavy traffic, then push forward with his running ability to get handball receives and kickstart rebounds. With his speed and (occasionally) elite kicking, Florent actually has the potential to be even better than Lloyd. A more damaging, high-powered version.

It's his best bet IMO, because I haven't really seen anything to suggest he'll be capable of taking lockdown jobs if required the way a Cunningham, Rampe or Mills could, nor will he - or anyone - be capable of the kind of balls-to-the-wall explosive rebounding that Blakey does. The cool, calm, hard-working organiser off half back though? Yeah, I can absolutely see that for Florent.

But there's no point playing in a certain way that dazzles and/or assures the coaches if you're not going to dazzle and assure every week. He's got to find that consistency that's eluded him in his career thus far. Close the gap between his best and worst footy. It's no secret that I believe in him, but by golly he sure tests that belief.
very happy the coaches see things differently.

Great write up. Thanks for something footy to read.
Agree almost entirely.. I think he is well on his way to fulfilling his potential. Prime years coming up.

I notice when Ollie does something really good or really bad but somehow miss the stuff in between. I would love to say that I know his value to the team in the way that I do many others but I don't. I shall have to watch more carefully.

Iirc Ollie shouldered much of the run and carry from the backline responsibility in the first half of and Blakey took over in the second half the season. Have no idea whether this was because he was carrying some some sort of injury or whether he was asked to take on a more defensive role.

I think we have been more vulnerable to small fwds and goal kicking mids than to the monster kpfs. Ollie is key to getting the balance right among our small defenders in winning their match ups. Fwiw I think Lloyd has really worked on his defensive game as has Ollie.

I hope Caesar‘s fears about a trade are unfounded.

Florent just turned 25 and has played 142 games.

Like Hayward, as long as he doesn't have serious injury issues, he will end up playing close to 300 games .. and probably more.

He gets a little bit better each year. Hopefully re-signs soon and continues that improvement next year.

Florent is the least of our problems.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally someone sees Florent with sober judgement!!!

Ollie is our best set shot at goal imho. Shot that fell cm short against Port (into a howling wind) was dead centre. Parker is pretty reliable too. I like him off a wing with licence to go into our 50, where he is more likely to get a set shot at goal.

Ollie is one of the few players we have who can genuinely play roles back, mids and fwd.

Ollie is one of the few players we have who can genuinely play roles back, mids and fwd.

Yeah I really rate him.

Think he sometimes goes quiet due to the role our coaches assign him.

And yet there are still many on here that undervalue him.
He's not flashy like Warner or brilliant like Gulden, but he has some great attributes that make him an essential cog in the wheel of a successful team.

He's very similar to Lloyd, but Lloyd's a more consistent and prolific accumulator. He'll seamlessly take up Lloyd's role once he retires but doesn't really offer much else to place him in any other part of the ground imo.

He's safe, but not very damaging. Role player coming into his prime. Hopefully he takes the step up next season.

His stats last year were pretty reasonable for non-midfielder - 20 disposals, 5.7 contested, 3 tackles.
He is a genuine linebreaker. Apart from his speed he has great ability to get through traffic with ball in hand.
Those who expected a Brownlow medallist must be disappointed but for a consistent contributor who is nearly always available and can play foward, back or mid he's been invaluable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back