Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute legend of the club, an ultimate clubman!!

Watching his speech shines a light on what he helped create, without guys like him we wouldn't be sitting back admiring our 3 recent premierships (As a 29 year old I didn't think I'd get to see one that early)

Hearing him talk about Dimma and Rance should hopefully put to bed some of the slander that has gone around about our culture. I'm sure he'd be one of the boys that would keep in touch and help out his friends where needed, ready for a big 2022!

Respect Dave, we'll all miss you, good luck with the future
It was a great speech. Two things stood out for me (apart from the ending bit about the Chicago Cubs, which was really well done). One was his subtle torpedoing of all the b/s rumours about Rance. The other was his little shout out to "the Brothers", what they've taught him and helped him teach others.

I've got a bit to say about this, so forgive me, as I'm indigenous, so it matters to me.

I've always wondered about how much the club's commitment to these issues has filtered through to all of the staff and the playing group. Back in about 2010, I was teaching at uni and one of my male students was chatting to some girls as we waited to get into a tute. He revealed to them that he was an employee of the RFC (I have no idea in what capacity) and was big-noting that he could get them tickets to a game. He then went on to qualify this by pointing out that that weekend was Dreamtime and that he hated "all that bullshit". Silly bugger didn't realise that the bloke who was going to mark his essays was Indigenous!

Anyway, I've always wondered how the demographics of where AFL footballers tend to come from effects all of this. On the one hand, famously, a disproportionate proportion are indigenous, but even more over-represented are private school boys and blokes from the country - two demographics that are more likely to produce a Sam Newman than a Joel Bowden.

Dave is as country as it comes. You'd expect him to come from a solid National Party family (I have no idea if this is true or not; maybe he comes from a family of Anarcho-Syndicalist farmers, but somehow I doubt it) and if what my sister, who lives in nearby Ararat and is heavily involved with the local Koori community, tells me of the area, it's as far from the latte sipping haunts of inner city Melbourne as you can get in Victoria.

So the point of my long ramble here, is that this is evidence of how profound our club's engagement with Aboriginal Australia has been. It's a credit to the club, and it's a credit to Dave.

It's players like Astbury who allow stars like Rance to shine. He showed it early in his career when he, if my memory serves me correctly, held Buddy goalless before going down with a torn ACL a couple of weeks later. He did the #12 proud. Congratulations on a fantastic career and all the best for what's to come next.

I loved how he did it the hard way. It wasn't gifted a game, he had to fight for it. All this with the added pressure of wearing the number 12. I met him when he was first drafted and straight away he struck me as an intelligent, level headed bloke. Like many players, he just need confidence and a strong structure to play to. I'm happy to hear how much he loves the culture at our great club and sad to see a premiership player go.

Good luck Dave and thanks for helping wins us three flags after decades of misery. I hope you look back on your time at the club with nothing but joy and pride.

Gotta love a pure footballer.

Not particularly gifted athletically, not real quick, not with a significant spring/jump - but real high footy IQ and understanding of how he could best help the team and his mates get the best possible performance out on the field.
Courageous as hell too...
& a real real solid citizen and bloke by all accounts as well.

I sorta understand more today what a "Richmond Man" truly is!

Wish he was my mate....

Apologies if it's been shared already but the video of his announcement is both beautiful and emotional - on the Richmond website now.
I was coming here to post the same thing. I implore everyone to watch it. Dave speaks great and it’s clear he loves the club and all associated with it.

Next time any campaigner wants to have a go at Richmond’s culture send them the link to that video.

Also comes out defending the lies about Rance and his retirement.

Astbury was a gun. Spent long periods without getting beaten when taking the best key forward … week in and week out. Allowed Rance, Grimes and Vlastuin to take risks and zone off, knowing Astbury could be trusted to defend resolutely. A better contested mark than he was given credit for, and it latter years a very reliable decision maker. A vital cog in Richmond’s dominant backline who will be sorely missed. But I feel it’s good timing given his struggles with injury and the need to blood other key defenders.

Well done Dave, the true Tiger supporters know the value you brought to the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dave is as country as it comes. You'd expect him to come from a solid National Party family (I have no idea if this is true or not; maybe he comes from a family of Anarcho-Syndicalist farmers, but somehow I doubt it) and if what my sister, who lives in nearby Ararat and is heavily involved with the local Koori community, tells me of the area, it's as far from the latte sipping haunts of inner city Melbourne as you can get in Victoria.

So the point of my long ramble here, is that this is evidence of how profound our club's engagement with Aboriginal Australia has been. It's a credit to the club, and it's a credit to Dave.
I like your post. I think young people like Dave by and large are well ahead and progressive in these issues. Gives hope for the future...

It's players like Astbury who allow stars like Rance to shine. He showed it early in his career when he, if my memory serves me correctly, held Buddy goalless before going down with a torn ACL a couple of weeks later. He did the #12 proud. Congratulations on a fantastic career and all the best for what's to come next.
I was at a game when Buddy smacked Rance across his face, and Dave was onto Buddy quickly and quite clearly (heard on TV later) called him a C-nt .
He copped a fine of course, but the AFL esoterically described as for some other matter...

I was at a game when Buddy smacked Rance across his face, and Dave was onto Buddy quickly and quite clearly (heard on TV later) called him a C-nt .
He copped a fine of course, but the AFL esoterically described as for some other matter...

always loved when dave would get angry

he was a calm dude and he only got pissed off when it was called for, and he was a scary mofo for the oppos in those situations

great speech and it's good to hear straight from a player about how the media just makes up total bullshit about us (in regards to rance in this case) i'm sure there's about 100 other things over the years that are total bullshit as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arseberry will be missed, simply because I won’t be able to write Arseberry much again. No nonsense player who took the gorillas every week and was the rock of our backline. Rarely made a skill error rebounding. 3 time premiership player and a legend of this incredible era in our clubs history. Well done Dave, you’re leaving the game on top.

Also reckon this retirement provides some insight into the state of the senior players. After 3 premierships and the grind of going deep in finals for 4 years, he must be exhausted and just content to pull the plug. Nothing left to achieve really, and much to look forward to beyond. Might not be the only retirement we see IMO

It was a great speech. Two things stood out for me (apart from the ending bit about the Chicago Cubs, which was really well done). One was his subtle torpedoing of all the b/s rumours about Rance. The other was his little shout out to "the Brothers", what they've taught him and helped him teach others.

I've got a bit to say about this, so forgive me, as I'm indigenous, so it matters to me.

I've always wondered about how much the club's commitment to these issues has filtered through to all of the staff and the playing group. Back in about 2010, I was teaching at uni and one of my male students was chatting to some girls as we waited to get into a tute. He revealed to them that he was an employee of the RFC (I have no idea in what capacity) and was big-noting that he could get them tickets to a game. He then went on to qualify this by pointing out that that weekend was Dreamtime and that he hated "all that bullshit". Silly bugger didn't realise that the bloke who was going to mark his essays was Indigenous!

Anyway, I've always wondered how the demographics of where AFL footballers tend to come from effects all of this. On the one hand, famously, a disproportionate proportion are indigenous, but even more over-represented are private school boys and blokes from the country - two demographics that are more likely to produce a Sam Newman than a Joel Bowden.

I often skim through the larger messages. Not yours!

Glad you can feel proud about a team you support. Like he said, it's just a game at the end of the day, just about every other issue is so much bigger.
I hope you feel like there is a shift happening, it baffles me how society still has to change. Seeing Eddie the other night was one of the most powerful things I have seen and it should reach to the overarching AFL community.

Much love!!

From the outside I know him as a good, reliable defender from a great team. After reading all the retirement well wishing posts. I can see he was much more to everyone involved with the Tiges
Great comments.
Glenn Archer is one of the greatest defenders I have seen.

A sad day, but a career that’ll be celebrated for a very long time. An unsung hero who just showed up day in day out and particularly in big games giving his all, doing everything for the team.
I stand to be corrected, but I think Dave came to the club as a forward, however he just gave his all each week and developed a mean streak along the journey.
A fantastic career, he should be so proud of his efforts to get back playing after so many injuries and his achievements down back as a 3 x premiership star.

Hard to find a player on the list who better epitomises this group of players and our transition from league laughing stock to 3 X league champions.

Such a battle with injuries early on, constant questions about his ability, but he just shut all the external noise out, put his head down and worked his arse off to become the best contributor and team man he could, eventually proving all the naysayers wrong and stamping himself as one of the best defenders of his generation.

A million thanks, Dave, for your always courageous, selfless, noble service and so many great memories. Such a classy, heartfelt speech to finish up on, couldn't ask for a better club man.

Enjoy your well earned retirement and we all hope you give yet another *higher rated* player one more bath on your way out.

21-AFL-Retire-David-Astbury-Video-Slide.png

r0_192_1396_981_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_74_800_526_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
Yep....quality bloke, class from head to toe...we need more people like David at the club.

Lives around the corner from me, next time I see him I’m gonna go give him a hug… actually maybe I’ll wait a couple of years for that.
Better hope he doesn't do a Sturt Dew.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back