Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

You really don't know what you've got til it's gone. Dave was strong, tough to play on defender with a great intercept ability. And his team first attitude allowed others to be their best around him. Sad to see him go. Much sadder than I thought I'd be.

Dave is clearly a well grounded, solid citizen and testament to the outstanding culture we've developed at Tigerland.

So do we listen to Caro, Cornes, Carey etc or do we listen to David Astbury?

Absolute legend of the club, an ultimate clubman!!

Watching his speech shines a light on what he helped create, without guys like him we wouldn't be sitting back admiring our 3 recent premierships (As a 29 year old I didn't think I'd get to see one that early)

Hearing him talk about Dimma and Rance should hopefully put to bed some of the slander that has gone around about our culture. I'm sure he'd be one of the boys that would keep in touch and help out his friends where needed, ready for a big 2022!

Respect Dave, we'll all miss you, good luck with the future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, when he gets to talking about rance :cry:
I liked the statements about the commentary about why and how Rance decided to move on - some of the miss-information that was doing the rounds.

Now I don't know what exactly went on and often the truth lies somewhere between the edges but Dave's love and respect expressed for Rance was really nice.

Hard to find a player on the list who better epitomises this group of players and our transition from league laughing stock to 3 X league champions.

Such a battle with injuries early on, constant questions about his ability, but he just shut all the external noise out, put his head down and worked his arse off to become the best contributor and team man he could, eventually proving all the naysayers wrong and stamping himself as one of the best defenders of his generation.

A million thanks, Dave, for your always courageous, selfless, noble service and so many great memories. Such a classy, heartfelt speech to finish up on, couldn't ask for a better club man.

Enjoy your well earned retirement and we all hope you give yet another *higher rated* player one more bath on your way out.

21-AFL-Retire-David-Astbury-Video-Slide.png

r0_192_1396_981_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_74_800_526_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

he had me almost flat our bawling a number of times watching his farewell

….he walked in the door at Punt Rd with Dustin, Dylan

….with them he experienced highs and lows…..well hardly any lows for Dusty

….thank you Dusty and Dylan for making my year a super draft

Hope he is not lost to the club…has a lot to offer in the head space area….and the notion that playing for the RFC is not just about a game…he has some much positive impact on people’s lives
The Three D's...

Hard to find a player on the list who better epitomises this group of players and our transition from league laughing stock to 3 X league champions.

Such a battle with injuries early on, constant questions about his ability, but he just shut all the external noise out, put his head down and worked his arse off to become the best contributor and team man he could, eventually proving all the naysayers wrong and stamping himself as one of the best defenders of his generation.

A million thanks, Dave, for your always courageous, selfless, noble service and so many great memories. Such a classy, heartfelt speech to finish up on, couldn't ask for a better club man.

Enjoy your well earned retirement and we all hope you give yet another *higher rated* player one more bath on your way out.

21-AFL-Retire-David-Astbury-Video-Slide.png

r0_192_1396_981_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_74_800_526_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
Dad and Dave?...

What a career, best of luck to a great player and person of the club. His body was always his biggest nemesis got him sooner than we all thought. He never really looked comfortable this season but he never stopped trying. A hole instantly opens up down back now - the challenge is on the club to fill it.

Hard to believe he only played 155 games. You forget how much his early career was hampered by injury, makes a lot more sense to consider that when seeing his form and movement drop away suddenly.

What a great defender and player he was for our era - got his body right for the absolute perfect time. He basically had only 6 seasons where he played double figure games, 4 of those where in consecutive years. From that he won 3 flags. Amazing run of success for a very short career on the field

Last edited:
My contribution:

Half-Time 2020 GF. Chris Scott: 'Astbury-Hawkins is a great match-up for us.' (check AFL Sound the Alarm Q3).

Hawkins - 2020 Coleman Medallist and AA Full-Forward.

Hawkins stats after half-time 2020 GF - 1 kick, 1 behind.

Dave done well. Always did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back