Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - Rd9 AFL Rising Star Nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the game

He worked hard today for sure, was in our best 7 or 8. For the most part is very neat and I don’t worry about his decision making. I do agree though with others that his game looked good numbers wise but do lack hurt factor. Not all his fault, we had no presentation forward of the ball.

My take though (not bashing him I think he’s a gun)

-Would love to see him take more body with opposition at a contest in general play with the intent to body and then win the loose ball. At times I wonder if he’s looking more for oppo to take possession and then wrap them up, rather than taking possession himself.

- kind of similar point but his tackling needs a lot of work, obviously is a smaller mid and will take time to develop body wise so not a big issue yet, still his technique could be improved, very grabby type tackles instead of wrap ups.

All in all he’s tracking quite nicely and we should be excited that he’s been so solid so far and has had really good exciting moments.

Just watched the game

He worked hard today for sure, was in our best 7 or 8. For the most part is very neat and I don’t worry about his decision making. I do agree though with others that his game looked good numbers wise but do lack hurt factor. Not all his fault, we had no presentation forward of the ball.

-Would love to see him take more body with opposition at a contest in general play with the intent to body and then win the loose ball. At times I wonder if he’s looking more for oppo to take possession and then wrap them up, rather than taking possession himself.

- kind of similar point but his tackling needs a lot of work, obviously is a smaller mid and will take time to develop body wise so not a big issue yet, still his technique could be improved, very grabby type tackles instead of wrap ups.

All in all he’s tracking quite nicely and we should be excited that he’s been so solid so far and has had really good exciting moments.
100%

Im not bashing him, as he is a good young prospect. But I’m also not going to say he had a brilliant game like some on here want to believe.

I even made comment that I think Clarko is doing him a massive disservice playing him in that role. The kids going to be a midfielder, so either play him there or get him to ply his trade in the VFL if he isn’t ready?

He’s not a defenders a-hole and what we are losing on the defensive side isn’t being outweighed by damaging rebound.

100%

Im not bashing him, as he is a good young prospect. But I’m also not going to say he had a brilliant game like some on here want to believe.

I even made comment that I think Clarko is doing him a massive disservice playing him in that role. The kids going to be a midfielder, so either play him there or get him to ply his trade in the VFL if he isn’t ready?

He’s not a defenders a-hole and what we are losing on the defensive side isn’t being outweighed by damaging rebound.
Yep I agree. I think it will be wing for most of the year, love for him to get 3 or 4 CB’s a week though.
It honestly can’t hurt us anymore. The ball gets strolled out of there even with our first choice mids in there.

I hope they look at what Freo did with Serongs development. A smaller mid who was probably over-exposed to CBA early in his career. Was bullied around abit early on by gun mids but he competed hard and now has developed his game around is smaller stature and become incredibly strong through the hips and is rarely beaten 1 on 1 at stoppage.
But I think with some players they need to realise how far behind they are physically to know where they have to get to.

I’d hate for us to have Colby spend two years on a wing and then in his 3rd and 4th they say alright mate go be a gun centre bounce mid and then wonder why he’s not setting the world on fire straight away.
He almost needs to be shown how good he needs to be by better players and the only way he’ll realise is if he’s exposed to it in a measured and smart way.

Whether that’s at AFL level the whole way through or potentially the odd week playing pure mid at VFL. Keeping in mind our ruckman at VFL level would be a nightmare to rove to. We get smashed each week in the ruck.

Nope.

He was collecting easy cheap ball across half back and providing very limited damage.

Don’t get sucked in by the stats.

I like the kid, but think Clarko is doing him a disservice in that role.

He should be plying his trade as a mid at VFL level.

People lay the boots into Fisher, well McKercher just played a carbon copy of what Fisher does.

Cheap easy ball with no damage.
He has just turned 19 mate.

You want to bash and bruise his young body, by putting him up against AFL experienced men, so he is finished at 21?

You have no hecken idea!

Needs to stay in the 1's, because we don't
have the luxury of any decent replacements.

Shiels and Greenwood are cooked, Taylor and Stevo are shitmen. Would be a waste playing Colby in the VFL, behind those types.

I'd prefer to have him up forward instead of half back, his speed could really help our forward line as none of our forwards are fast. 50/50 mid forward would be great for his development, and would hopefully teach him how to crumb

Don’t really care.

Im just saying that the performance wasn’t as impressive as the numbers might suggest.

His meters gained for someone that had 23 kicks were pretty low. A lot of cheapies with no damage.

Not knocking the kid, but it wasn’t a game to get excited about.
573m - second highest for the game and highest for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the game

He’s not ever going to be the type of physical player imo. He’ll be very outside and that’s fine, we need it.

Why? When he can still get 32 and be named best on for the roos according to the match report in just his 7th game.
Because he isn’t committing to contests, which is unacceptable.

And he’s not the only one. Which is mind boggling.

Yep I agree. I think it will be wing for most of the year, love for him to get 3 or 4 CB’s a week though.
It honestly can’t hurt us anymore. The ball gets strolled out of there even with our first choice mids in there.

I hope they look at what Freo did with Serongs development. A smaller mid who was probably over-exposed to CBA early in his career. Was bullied around abit early on by gun mids but he competed hard and now has developed his game around is smaller stature and become incredibly strong through the hips and is rarely beaten 1 on 1 at stoppage.
But I think with some players they need to realise how far behind they are physically to know where they have to get to.

I’d hate for us to have Colby spend two years on a wing and then in his 3rd and 4th they say alright mate go be a gun centre bounce mid and then wonder why he’s not setting the world on fire straight away.
He almost needs to be shown how good he needs to be by better players and the only way he’ll realise is if he’s exposed to it in a measured and smart way.

Whether that’s at AFL level the whole way through or potentially the odd week playing pure mid at VFL. Keeping in mind our ruckman at VFL level would be a nightmare to rove to. We get smashed each week in the ruck.
Serong no doubt kept receipts on who bullied him. Goes out of his way to make them look stupid now.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Thought it was by far his best game and is capable of taking Sheezels role allowing Harry to move up the ground. Whilst his kicking isn’t as good as Harry’s, his run and penetration is better. Great for Colby’s development to ease him in like we have with Sheez, equally Harry is needed more around the ball, with his next development being damage per possession.

Thought it was by far his best game and is capable of taking Sheezels role allowing Harry to move up the ground. Whilst his kicking isn’t as good as Harry’s, his run and penetration is better. Great for Colby’s development to ease him in like we have with Sheez, equally Harry is needed more around the ball, with his next development being damage per possession.
Surround him with players that can defend.

We've had at least 3 of McKercher, Sheezel, Scott and Fisher all in there nearly at all times this year.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

31 or 32 touches in game 7 in an absolute basket case of a 22, his partner in crime in Duursma kicked a couple in a foward line that doesn’t function, then our picks 3/4 from last year also put in fantastic performances. What more do us as supporters want? These last 10 years all I’ve ever wanted is just one of those draftees that comes in and dominates, seems every other club gets them but us, then along came Sheeze, literally doing more then Daicos at the same time, and yesterday this young bloke racks up our most touches and metres gained has his best game and we are wanting to drop him, or saying he is to soft or we need to play him in the twos in the pivot instead of hbf or the wing in the seniors? What is going on, these are 4 players we need to leave alone, these guys are going above and beyond and then some, we literally have the worst 22 in the history of the game, these guys aren’t the problem.

Good to have you back ferball i haven't seen you for a while.
Cheers, yeah just needed a quick break from people whinging. Also had a few things to do here that took most of my time. Sometimes its easy to avoid work by posting here.

Thought he was good on the weekend. Probably his best game.

couple of negatives.

1. Can't stick tackles yet. Gets pushed aroudn really easily.
2. His kicking isnt as good as what was made out to be throughout his draft year. Lacks penetration.

Will be a very good players going forward.

Thought he was good on the weekend. Probably his best game.

couple of negatives.

1. Can't stick tackles yet. Gets pushed aroudn really easily.
2. His kicking isnt as good as what was made out to be throughout his draft year. Lacks penetration.

Will be a very good players going forward.
I'm not sure why that caught on so much during his draft year - it was pretty obvious to me watching him that his kicking wasn't anything special. Certainly not bad, but neither was it especially good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back