Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - Rd9 AFL Rising Star Nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see this happen as much as anyone. I'm guessing the only reason we are sticking with Tucker and Stephens for the time being is that our structures require intense discipline, zoning and holding position and width from our wings with perhaps specific instructions not to hunt the ball or roam which is Colby's instinctive style. Obviously, massive holes can be punched in this theory based on results to date so don't @ me.
I don’t know how you typed the bit about intense discipline for our structures to work with a straight face - maybe you didn’t.

Obviously I want Colby to be a huge success, but now I really really want him to have a career that embarrasses all these journalists who are running the “consolation prize” line. It’s pathetic.

I don’t know how you typed the bit about intense discipline for our structures to work with a straight face - maybe you didn’t.

Obviously I want Colby to be a huge success, but now I really really want him to have a career that embarrasses all these journalists who are running the “consolation prize” line. It’s pathetic.
his run confimed he has the tools, ( if anyone couldnt see it already) .

I'll be honest, he looks promising, but I don't see it as yet.
Imagine he gets that ball and does that run from the centre square. That's a line breaking run and goal from around 50m* depending on traffic.

* not sure on leg yet as I haven't seen him really hit a long bomb yet.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

awkward entertainment GIF

I'll be honest, he looks promising, but I don't see it as yet.
I know its a "cliche" but "stick around" and you will. He is like our other youngsters, bloody good but with us at the moment, everything is bad and doom and our youngsters are no good, "poppycock", patience and getting games into them and a few other things are the priority at the moment, its all about time.

I know its a "cliche" but "stick around" and you will. He is like our other youngsters, bloody good but with us at the moment, everything is bad and doom and our youngsters are no good, "poppycock", patience and getting games into them and a few other things are the priority at the moment, its all about time.
Just like Wardlaw against Sydney. Those little moments by the kids keep bringing me back every week.

We clearly need more blokes who can run in the middle and not just on the wings. I would play him in the middle but have him at half forward for most centre bounces with Zurhaar (and maybe Curtis) taking those then going forward - like Dusty used to.

Just my two cents but I feel his pace and agility is more useful in the clinches.
Much of what wingers do these days is dumb running to instruction. We have a few donkeys that can do this work. Colby's best asset is his ability to break lines and carry the footy through congestion. We need to use it more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone remember, many moons ago, JWS collecting the ball at HB at Marvel stadium and then running to half forward to kick a long goal.

It might have been his first game vs Essendon....

Thats who Colby reminded me of on the weekend.

Rising star nom lock
Nope.

He was collecting easy cheap ball across half back and providing very limited damage.

Don’t get sucked in by the stats.

I like the kid, but think Clarko is doing him a disservice in that role.

He should be plying his trade as a mid at VFL level.

People lay the boots into Fisher, well McKercher just played a carbon copy of what Fisher does.

Cheap easy ball with no damage.

Nope.

He was collecting easy cheap ball across half back and providing very limited damage.

People lay the boots into Fisher, well McKercher just played a carbon copy of what Fisher does.

Lol Who do you think is getting the nom this week?

Nope.

I didn’t have him in our best three but still easily one of our better players today. He played more like a Sheezel game than a Fisher one, just not quite as polished or assured as Harry.

Lol Who do you think is getting the nom this week?
Don’t really care.

Im just saying that the performance wasn’t as impressive as the numbers might suggest.

His meters gained for someone that had 23 kicks were pretty low. A lot of cheapies with no damage.

Not knocking the kid, but it wasn’t a game to get excited about.

I didn’t have him in our best three but still easily one of our better players today. He played more like a Sheezel game than a Fisher one, just not quite as polished or assured as Harry.
As I said I like the kid, but people get carried away with the disposal count, when the reality was there wasn’t anything damaging about the vast majority of them.

Don’t really care.

Im just saying that the performance wasn’t as impressive as the numbers might suggest.

His meters gained for someone that had 23 kicks were pretty low. A lot of cheapies with no damage.

Not knocking the kid, but it wasn’t a game to get excited about.
And I’m saying regardless he’s a lock for the rising star nom this week

Which is the comment you responded to initially

As I said I like the kid, but people get carried away with the disposal count, when the reality was there wasn’t anything damaging about the vast majority of them.
Jesus it must be sad looking though your eyes. Was fantastic for us today and his ball security was something we needed a tonne more of.

And I’m saying regardless he’s a lock for the rising star nom this week

Which is the comment you responded to initially
Why should he be?

Judge the performance and impact and not the numbers.

If another young player has 15 touches with impact I would be giving him the nod.

Most of Colby’s 32 were junk crab kicks or handballs.

Jesus it must be sad looking though your eyes. Was fantastic for us today and his ball security was something we needed a tonne more of.
It’s not sad. It’s the reality.

Do you really think Nicks was concerned with him getting cheapies across half back and doing very little with it?

If he is going to be deficient when defending then I want to see more than easy option crab kicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back