Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - Rd9 AFL Rising Star Nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news.

Was one of the disappointments of the day, not at least seeing him glide around the ground.

Imagine he will probably be given a week off.
Great news, selfishly I hope he's okay to go next week - been waiting quite a while to see him and a few young blokes up against their weight class.

This may be the only point of difference guy we have. Needs to be between the arcs not in D50.
The kid can’t defend, he’s too small and not physically ready.

Having more season forwards constantly brush him aside must be demoralising for the kid.

Get him up the ground where there is more space and he can use those weapons.

Also there is no harm with him playing VFL if he isn’t physically ready to play at the top level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have said, get him out of the backline. Not only is he too small to defend at the moment, you can see his confidence is taking a beating every contest he loses defending. We should be putting him on the wing (he can replace either Tucker or Stephens) and we should be using his pace to our advantage. The kid has wheels, no need to hold him back and play plodders like Tucker or Stephens.

They will for sure but having lived around Launceston for some time most of the kids jump at the chance to move to the mainland and not look back

That's mostly because of the lack of job opportunities. After I finished my degree, there were 2 graduate positions in my field in Tasmania but hundreds in Melbourne. It just made sense to move.

His disposal and decision is definitely an issue at the moment. Duursma has the same issues but is finding the ball less as well.

Duursma definitely needs a break. Agree with everyone that if we’re insistent on playing McKercher it needs to be in a more suitable role where his speed, agility etc can be better utilised.

As others have said, get him out of the backline. Not only is he too small to defend at the moment, you can see his confidence is taking a beating every contest he loses defending. We should be putting him on the wing (he can replace either Tucker or Stephens) and we should be using his pace to our advantage. The kid has wheels, no need to hold him back and play plodders like Tucker or Stephens.
Park him on the wing for the rest of the year.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see this happen as much as anyone. I'm guessing the only reason we are sticking with Tucker and Stephens for the time being is that our structures require intense discipline, zoning and holding position and width from our wings with perhaps specific instructions not to hunt the ball or roam which is Colby's instinctive style. Obviously, massive holes can be punched in this theory based on results to date so don't @ me.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see this happen as much as anyone. I'm guessing the only reason we are sticking with Tucker and Stephens for the time being is that our structures require intense discipline, zoning and holding position and width from our wings with perhaps specific instructions not to hunt the ball or roam which is Colby's instinctive style. Obviously, massive holes can be punched in this theory based on results to date so don't @ me.

Give me Colby’s roaming over Stephens selfish structure anyday of the week. Stephens allows his direct opposition goal side far too often. There wouldn’t be a winger in the comp who has directly conceded more goals than him this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back