Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - Rd9 AFL Rising Star Nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

The wing is hard as all buggery for a first year player to play unless you are a) super fit, or b) played there your whole life and are naturally a wing man.

I love the Kerch, but the big dog is sucking in the big ones after every run at the moment. To put him out on the wing with some of the running freaks that are out there in this league would be a bloodbath.

I like the idea of him playing back and getting it sh*tloads, but he needs to be taking the 6th best forward. Currently, Fisher is getting that gig.
Pretty sure Kerch had a similar yoyo (endurance)score as Sheez and played a few positions predraft. Hollands last year showed a first year can play wing with relative success. The potential is there.

Personal opinion, I think Colby would be more damaging further up the field. Need to utilise his more precise kicking skills into the forward line
That's a given and the same can be said for Sheezel.

Problem however is there isn't a spot for him further up the ground. As it currently stands we can't fit Phillip's in the team and Simpkin is playing forward-flank.

That's a given and the same can be said for Sheezel.

Problem however is there isn't a spot for him further up the ground. As it currently stands we can't fit Phillip's in the team and Simpkin is playing forward-flank.

We can't fit Phillips in, because he can't play where other than the center square.

We have two spuds occupying the wings at the moment in Tucker and Stephens.

Colby can play forward/mid/back - in fact he was a small forward right up until his bottom age year.

Harry is the same.

I think Jy is a solution to one of the wings if Tucker and Stephens keep performing like this.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot at the moment, we have one of the most naturally damaging and attacking players on the list playing in an abnormal role at the moment, whenever he's been able to push up past the center, he's been at his most damaging.

So just play him there. Bailey can play a deeper defensive role if he has to, where he has excelled in the past.

The fact that Sheezel has only been in 1 center bounce and McKercher hasn't been in any is frankly criminal after 3 games.

The #1 priority at the moment for Clarko should be finding a way of releasing McKercher and then Sheezel up the ground. If that means Hardeman, Scott back, Miller when he's fit again, so be it.

Last edited:
Bring in Hardeman/Bergman/George to play back and move Mckercher up the field... wing/on-ball, he can take Lazzaro's 32% cba's for starters.

Bergman is out for at least 3 weeks then needs some more VFL games. Hardeman is out for 1-2 with concussion, then needs some more VFL time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bergman is out for at least 3 weeks then needs some more VFL games. Hardeman is out for 1-2 with concussion, then needs some more VFL time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was thinking long term for this year. As soon as they are available/ready. Tucker & Stephens aren't exactly keeping the door closed on them.

So many times today he was busting his ass to try provide overlap run and he was ignored.

Geez it’s be frustrating being a young talented and enthusiastic player only to look around and realise you are in the spud farm.
Gotta feel for our young superstars. They just can't catch a break with a group that doesn't care.

Long story, but bear with me.

I saw Buddy Franklin in his 4th or 5th game at the MCG; North were a seasoned side, and won the game comfortably enough. Anyway at one stage Franklin was on the wing running toward the Punt Road end, and fair dinkum, it was easy to confuse him with a human gazelle, bounding along effortlessly with blokes trailing behind him, and you could only think, heck this bloke's going to be alright

I had the exact same sensation yesterday, when Colby cut through the middle, took a bounce and left good oppo players chewing on dust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way more comfortable on the wing and through the middle. Not sure half back is right for this guy at this stage. I mean, what part of his game has he been able to develop during this shitstorm? Manic handballs and Lmac kicks out of the backline?

Way more comfortable on the wing and through the middle. Not sure half back is right for this guy at this stage. I mean, what part of his game has he been able to develop during this shitstorm? Manic handballs and Lmac kicks out of the backline?
He is more suited up field. I don't think he has that Sheezel level 360 degree vision (few do) and expecting him to just replicate Sheezel from HB is optimistic. Hi biggest asset is his speed, I don't want him getting crunched in the centre square but would happily have him off a wing or pushing up field more often.

We can't fit Phillips in, because he can't play where other than the center square.

We have two spuds occupying the wings at the moment in Tucker and Stephens.

Colby can play forward/mid/back - in fact he was a small forward right up until his bottom age year.

Harry is the same.

I think Jy is a solution to one of the wings if Tucker and Stephens keep performing like this.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot at the moment, we have one of the most naturally damaging and attacking players on the list playing in an abnormal role at the moment, whenever he's been able to push up past the center, he's been at his most damaging.

So just play him there. Bailey can play a deeper defensive role if he has to, where he has excelled in the past.

The fact that Sheezel has only been in 1 center bounce and McKercher hasn't been in any is frankly criminal after 3 games.

The #1 priority at the moment for Clarko should be finding a way of releasing McKercher and then Sheezel up the ground. If that means Hardeman, Scott back, Miller when he's fit again, so be it.
Colby on 1 and Bailey Scott on the other please. Simpkin is no winger and clearly still not right, imo, or something else.

The way Lynch was talking about him during the game was almost predatory, the Devils are gonna come hard for him.

let them, if they offer ridiculous money we can use that to get important players for us in 2027

They will for sure but having lived around Launceston for some time most of the kids jump at the chance to move to the mainland and not look back
Most? That's not true. Most people who do leave to the mainland just do so for career opportunities, many move back. Tasmania is a great place to live and I wouldnt choose to live anywhere on the mainland above Tasmania even if I was paid to.

Most? That's not true. Most people who do leave to the mainland just do so for career opportunities, many move back. Tasmania is a great place to live and I wouldnt choose to live anywhere on the mainland above Tasmania even if I was paid to.
May come as a shock to Victorians, but there’s actually 19 million Australians that don’t wanna live in Melbourne. Outrageous I know…..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back