Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad.jpg

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Improved his numbers this year. 25 disposals a game and 15 goals is pretty good by any stretch. However his impact was slightly diminished. Oppo club learned to take the space between him and goal this year so we didn't get the breakaways like last year.

Lacks a little composure at times but nothing out of the ordinary for a 50 odd gamer. This was a good learning curve year for him.

Improved his numbers this year. 25 disposals a game and 15 goals is pretty good by any stretch. However his impact was slightly diminished. Oppo club learned to take the space between him and goal this year so we didn't get the breakaways like last year.

Lacks a little composure at times but nothing out of the ordinary for a 50 odd gamer. This was a good learning curve year for him.
Jeez he has only played 50 games hasn't he?

Still plenty of time to be a star

Not a fan of the rhetoric that Warner is this show-pony who needs to pull his finger out. He tries damn hard and plays with desperation. That is evident by the fact that's now the second time I've seen him in tears after a loss.

His role is to be an attacking mid, to try and find the pocket of space he can burst into. It's a very obvious and predictable way of playing, so naturally teams know what Warner wants to do. I also think those pockets of space are so much harder to find in heavily contested situations. I've wanted him to be used more on the outside all year, so that he can burst away from packs, rather than through packs, and I've seen nothing this season to change my mind.

Not a fan of the rhetoric that Warner is this show-pony who needs to pull his finger out. He tries damn hard and plays with desperation. That is evident by the fact that's now the second time I've seen him in tears after a loss.

His role is to be an attacking mid, to try and find the pocket of space he can burst into. It's a very obvious and predictable way of playing, so naturally teams know what Warner wants to do. I also think those pockets of space are so much harder to find in heavily contested situations. I've wanted him to be used more on the outside all year, so that he can burst away from packs, rather than through packs, and I've seen nothing this season to change my mind.
We use Errol a lot bursting away from the left hand side of the pack. Using Chad in the same way on the other side would increase our variety and give us deep entries on both sides.
If you don't believe me, check out last night's team heat map. We are much denser on the left. IMO the "Blakey and Gulden Effect".
Play Juzzy deeper but still in the same way as now. Strengthen our right flank.
This might also give us more opportunities in the middle to change things up.

We use Errol a lot bursting away from the left hand side of the pack. Using Chad in the same way on the other side would increase our variety and give us deep entries on both sides.
If you don't believe me, check out last night's team heat map. We are much denser on the left. IMO the "Blakey and Gulden Effect".
Play Juzzy deeper but still in the same way as now. Strengthen our right flank.
This might also give us more opportunities in the middle to change things up.
Excellent point KC

If this is a poor year for him then that's good news I guess

Is he perfect ? nope, I think at times he bites off way more than he can chew, but so does Papley for example

If Mills Heeney Papley Hayward Parker etc do their job there wouldn't be as much on Chad

It's not all about stats but statistically he had career high averages in every midfield category.

Not like every game he played last year was the level of that Fremantle game, he had stinkers and low impact games last year too. We are being selective with our memory sometimes I think.

It's not all about stats but statistically he had career high averages in every midfield category.

Not like every game he played last year was the level of that Fremantle game, he had stinkers and low impact games last year too. We are being selective with our memory sometimes I think.
I think perhaps he had fewer of those amazing highlights this year where he broke free and slammed home goals etc. That kind of thing. A bit more bread and butter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's true ish, he kicked fewer goals than last year. Can't find stats for goal assists or score involvements easily but I would think he had fewer this year than last too. Just a bit of a sense that he didn't have the same impact on us winning games as he did last year.

That's true ish, he kicked fewer goals than last year. Can't find stats for goal assists or score involvements easily but I would think he had fewer this year than last too. Just a bit of a sense that he didn't have the same impact on us winning games as he did last year.

Its marginal. His goals per game are lower by 0.08 and his score involvements are down by 0.5.

I prefer score assists to goal assists because goal assists is heavily reliant on the finisher who gets the ball from the pass, but that stat may not even be available for free.

If this is a poor year for him then that's good news I guess

Is he perfect ? nope, I think at times he bites off way more than he can chew, but so does Papley for example

If Mills Heeney Papley Hayward Parker etc do their job there wouldn't be as much on Chad

I agree with this, particularly the last part.

What happened to Mills? Heeney has been underwhelming compared to last year and Parker is at the edge of the cliff.

We shouldn’t be relying on Chad, Errol and (next year) Sheldrick to carry all the load but it feels like we are.

Papley I can defend. If he was a permanent mid he’d absolutely kill it but we can’t afford to lose his goal scoring power. It’s great that we can swing him in to the middle but then it robs us up forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know about improvement, but I definitely don’t think he was disappointing.
Last year, I think he was able to get away with a lot because opposition teams didn’t really factor him into their plans and give him the attention he warrants. I mean, even Swans fans were pretty surprised he turned into this explosive beast.

This year, I think he had a lot more work put into him, but he still found a way to be really damaging at times - which is great for a player of his age.

I don’t know about improvement, but I definitely don’t think he was disappointing.
Last year, I think he was able to get away with a lot because opposition teams didn’t really factor him into their plans and give him the attention he warrants. I mean, even Swans fans were pretty surprised he turned into this explosive beast.

This year, I think he had a lot more work put into him, but he still found a way to be really damaging at times - which is great for a player of his age.
Yeah wasn't a bad year by any stretch. Even if he never improved from here he's still best 22 for the rest of his career.

The kid is a victim of his own standards really.

One thing I'd like to see him cut out of his game though is his insistence on intentionally slicing the ball on the outside of his boot instead of choosing another target or using his agility and speed to find some space to dispose of it properly.

Yeah wasn't a bad year by any stretch. Even if he never improved from here he's still best 22 for the rest of his career.

The kid is a victim of his own standards really.

One thing I'd like to see him cut out of his game though is his insistence on intentionally slicing the ball on the outside of his boot instead of choosing another target or using his agility and speed to find some space to dispose of it properly.
The funny thing is that he has a very decent left foot, just doesn't want to use it.
Last year he was coming out the front of packs a lot but I think opponents are more awake up to that now so the coaching group need to work with him to get him into better starting positions to use his explosiveness so he can also reduce the stiff arm that opponents are all over.
Errol dominates the left side of packs, let him dominate the right.

I got sick of watching him get caught on the fend off all year. Hope he works on that.
If he works on his middle distance speed he won’t be caught like he was last season. His burst speed is good but needs to maintain it by running a few 800m. Now Jack Hiscox was a great 800m runner. I like fast players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back