saladin

All Australian
Sep 22, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
ok, i'm usually loathe to do this. yes, it's off "another" forum. but it may well have legs, and makes sense given how things currently are.

It has been awhile since I have posted any rumours or gossip in the hangar, for multiple reasons, but tonight do so, not to put my name in headlights, but to gauge the bomberblitz community on what could be a massive massive massive move.

I preface this gossip with a reminder to those that know me and advice to those who don't, I am not a Knights basher or hater. In my opinion I don't think Knights has done a lot wrong off the field, but I do think he has struggled on matchday and the results speak for themselves.

So......

Tonight I have learned from a quality insider that Knights will have to front board at the next board meeting and give a clear indication of where the team is at and where he thinks they'll be by the end of the season.

Knights will be asked to assess the season so far, break down certain aspects and compare the progress against KPIs outlayed in 2008 for a five year plan. I believe he will then be given an ultimatum.

Apparently after the dreamtime game of 2008 there were question marks over the defensive gameplan. Knights fronted the board where he told them the gameplan will be tweeked over three seasons and the third season would introduce the defensive aspects. Not happy with this, Knights was requested to fast track the defensive game. From memory I think we travelled to AAMI not long after and lost by less than a kick which bought some more credits.

Two and a bit years on, the shocking performances are becomming regular, the defensive efforts, which in the plan were supposed to be introduced in 2010, are few and far between.

The board, on the back of the Crows final last season and a few stinkers this season, have become restless.

I have it on good authority that if Knights doesn't meet particular targets this season then he will not see out his contract.

In fact, here's the big news:

I have heard ALL of Mark Williams (Chocko), James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Scott Burns and Sean Wellman have been contacted to discuss a potential coaching panel in 2011.

Despite each of the names above all having various contracts, they all have get out clauses and are potentially available for the 2011 season.

So prepared is Essendon, my source tells that each of the names above have been told in no uncertain terms "don't make plans for 2011 until we've had a chance to talk further" after flagging the possibility with them.

So confident in the reliability of this news you will now here a different response in the media from Hird and Lloyd in relation to Knights after they were both privately requested to "tone down criticism of Knights." You can expect to hear both of them say things like 'back the coach' or 'got to get behind him till seasons end'.

You'll also find that if Hird is asked in the media does he want to or will he ever coach? Instead of giving a straight out NO like he previously has been saying, he may give a more trivial response like 'i am enjoying what I do now' or 'there's nothing on the agenda at this stage' or 'i'm too busy with my business'. Basically he won't rule it out.

So whilst this is not a thread to advocate the removal of Knights, it is interesting to think the board could be assembling some good coaching apprentices in Hird, Lloyd, Burns and Wellman who would serve under Chocko.

Please don't take this as gospel and I'm expecting a few to flame me. I say with all honesty that most rumours you hear have an element of truth to them. There is every intention of a rumour becomming a reality only for a piece of the puzzle to go missing. In this instance it's a massive puzzle that would require a lot to go right, or wrong, to be put together.

Read it on BB. Massssssiivvvvvveeeeeee.

Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

04gf.jpg
Mark-Williams-6044398.jpg

Awkward..
In all seriousness, if anyone read ant555's excellent assessment on where we're at (also on BB), he certainly highlights the deficiencies of our current coaching panel as a whole. Should we continue to go downhill, a revamp with the names mentioned in the rumour would be much stronger IMO, especially re: defensive efforts, midfield structures with the likes of Wellman and Burns. Of course, should the rumour eventuate, the panel would most likely include only some of those names, but even then there would be an improvement. Interesting times.

If the rumour has legs, of course.

when is this next board meeting that apparently knights will have to face?

and does dean laidley have plans for 2011?!

ok, i'm usually loathe to do this. yes, it's off "another" forum. but it may well have legs, and makes sense given how things currently are.

Saladin you are spot on I can guarantee all EFC members both Lloyd and Hird have been spoken to but nothing will happen until at least midway through 2011

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a chance he'll get the arse after this season. Not with 2 yrs left on his contract.

Funny how things can turn. Doubts were raised on Bailey after round 1 , Ratten after round 3, Ross Lyon in his first year, Kevin Sheedy after first 6 games, Malthouse a couple of seasons ago, Bomber Thompson a year before first premiership etc etc. Even Bomber never had to cope with losing 2 champion forwards and one of his best midfielders.

Knights was earning praise last year, how can he all of a sudden lose his ability? I'm not a fanatic Knights supporter, yes of course he has his deficiencies, but FFS give him this season before these bullshit rumours. It's not going to help the team.

God let this be true.

Sounds more like an anti Knights person within the club spreading some rumours to destabilise the situation.

The situation might become dire if we lose to Hawthorn. We then have Port at home and a loss to a spasmodic interstate team at home might just do it. Or we win both and we're all back on the Knights wagon.

I'm hoping Knights makes it, and not really sold on Chocco

Where's Hodge2Franklin's optimism when we need it :D

He saw Knights coming like he saw Clarkson coming. Hope he sees Knights leaving like he sees Clarkson leaving.

Sounds more like an anti Knights person within the club spreading some rumours to destabilise the situation.

P.Smith.......

The situation might become dire if we lose to Hawthorn. We then have Port at home and a loss to a spasmodic interstate team at home might just do it. Or we win both and we're all back on the Knights wagon.

Could very well happen, then it's Worsfold or Clarkson's turn to be under the gun.

In simplistic terms it could be win-win, really.

The rumour (which is sure to hit the papers) could be the catalyst for our turnaround with Knights at the helm, coaching for his job. We love a bit of adversity. OR, if true and things progress as they are, we could get an adequate replacement.

Or so says the optimist* in me.

*The pessimist would fear the potential instability that could result from such rumours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back