Player Watch 2024 Father-Son player watch - Ky Burgoyne and Ned Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Incorrect. I haven’t written Percy or Nixie off…
OK but it might be easier to get Percy if Ky is already here - and my guess is they would work their butts off with a point to prove - there are character traits that Silk had which I would hope that the kids have

OK but it might be easier to get Percy if Ky is already here - and my guess is they would work their butts off with a point to prove - there are character traits that Silk had which I would hope that the kids have
Name me a club which would recruit a player who isn’t of AFL standard in the hope the better sibling will join them (presuming they become AFL standard)?

Incorrect. I haven’t written Percy or Nixie off…

Ky is coming from a long way back. If his name was Smith this would’nt even be a discussion.

Ky has shown very little.
I agree, Smith Burgoyne is the type of name of a player you'd build a team around.

Name me a club which would recruit a player who isn’t of AFL standard in the hope the better sibling will join them (presuming they become AFL standard)?
North Melbourne.

I don't have an example of them doing this, but fair to assume it's something they would do.

I would argue that Jackson Merrett was never going to be a footballer - but they hit gold with his little brother Zach

So there's no chance the sons of a 400 game champion - who's pedigree also includes one of the famous names of SA footy - an Aunt who revolutionised the game of Women's footy. Kids who spent their entire childhoods in the club rooms with their dad post game - who witnessed 3 flags - who are playing in pretty level comps now for their age - you are just completely writing off as having no prospect of an AFL future....
I would love for him to make it, and to choose the Hawks. I admit I know nothing of his form or ability.

But unfortunately, having a great football pedigree doesn't always count for much. Tuck and Ablett genes should have torn the league apart, but as much as I wished it would, it didn't happen like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those character traits are earned not genetic. Reminds me of a Zak Starkey (son of Ringo Starr) quote when asked about forming a group with the sons of the other Beatles.

"If we had spent 3 years sleeping on flea infested mattresses in the back room of a Hamburg club it might have chemistry - but we have been swaddled in silken robes in houses so big that it's too far to go and make a piece of toast ".

Pretty sure some NBA team is about to do this with LeBron James' son

Bronny would be lucky to play in the G-League. LeBron is already sending smoke signals that his future next year isn't tied to Bronny because he likely knows better than anyone that he won't be playing in the NBA.

I would love for him to make it, and to choose the Hawks. I admit I know nothing of his form or ability.

But unfortunately, having a great football pedigree doesn't always count for much. Tuck and Ablett genes should have torn the league apart, but as much as I wished it would, it didn't happen like that.

For me its more than the pedigree - its knowing the culture of a football club, its knowing the training regime and what's expected. It's seeing that week in week out - I get the Tuck/Ablett thing I do and not think or expect every child of a player is going to be a player. In fact there's probably an unfair expectation and pressure.

Ky Burgoyne played his first game in the SANFL this weekend. And he's spent time at both the Hawks and Port. Every draft pick is a roll of the dice so any hint that the player has a something that could improve those odds is what we look for. I'd just be monitoring him and seeing if there is a potential

For me its more than the pedigree - its knowing the culture of a football club, its knowing the training regime and what's expected. It's seeing that week in week out - I get the Tuck/Ablett thing I do and not think or expect every child of a player is going to be a player. In fact there's probably an unfair expectation and pressure.

Ky Burgoyne played his first game in the SANFL this weekend. And he's spent time at both the Hawks and Port. Every draft pick is a roll of the dice so any hint that the player has a something that could improve those odds is what we look for. I'd just be monitoring him and seeing if there is a potential
Calsher & Ned were permitted to train with the club last February as it was their draft year. Ky came over in school holidays and did the same. Obviously he has been down to Port as well. It happens, and frankly they're fortunate to do it as potential F/S selections as only the AFL Academy kids get the chance otherwise. The club has enough chances to see whether these kids are worth taking.

Ky's first game at SANFL level was a 1 kick and 5 disposals game. No doubt reflective of where he stands right now. He will go back to U18s this week and keep playing footy. Good luck to him.

Port are very hamstrung by what players they are allowed to choose from to make up their numbers. The selection was driven by desperation. Injuries & lack of availability of their ammo players who couldn’t play on a Thurs at 3pm.

Of course id certainly continue to monitor him. He’s a lovely good kid. Very diligent.
If he makes up the much needed ground to be in consideration… then much like Ben Jarman all parties will make their decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back