List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty big on Levi from the games I've seen from him. Some of the things he is doing at such a young age is insane.

Going early but I'd expect him to be better than Will.

I'm pretty big on Levi from the games I've seen from him. Some of the things he is doing at such a young age is insane.

He looks more n more like "I'll show the way boys" type. After Zorko we lack a player like that currently and it'll be a great time to have Levi added to our list.

Levi won the possession count again for the Academy in game two and was named best on ground for his performance. Matched up against the mature Footscray mids he was tough and strong in both the stoppages and general contested situations around the ground showing that he's more than just an outside accumulator.

That's a massive call, hope you are right. Will was such a good junior player though, and showed more than enough in his first season.

Sadly, I reckon his ACL giving way might have cost us a flag - we desperately missed his class in the middle on grand final day with Lachie well down.

The only people/club it will get offside is us.

The Vic clubs have wanted to curtail the northern academies, as they see what's possible.

The SA and WA clubs would like greater access to "their" indigenous kids, failing that, they're happy to see the northern clubs access to "our" kids limited.

Syd and GWS academies are NOT moving ahead as fast as GC's and what ours looks to be.

GC loaded up on picks the last few drafts, to the point that they currently hold 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks this year. They are well placed to cope with possible changes, and continue to push picks in to future drafts.

As for the role of the club developing these kids, my opinion is that most of the top kids in our academy come from football families, where the parents and junior clubs did a LOT of the development work before we picked up the most talented kids from our recruiting zones.

Which is no different to most other sports talent pathways

There’s a lot of talk from people at QAFL clubs that the coaching they get in the academy is little different to what they get at club level.

Because that's not equitable to the competition as a whole.

Late reply, but to me the thing that equalises it is that Vic/WA/SA will always have the “go home” factor. In my entire life I can remember ONE instance of a northern club benefitting from the “go home” factor, and that was Charlie.

Developing kids in our system means they’re less likely to piss off “home”, and we won’t have the reasonably steady stream of established players coming in under the guise of homesickness like every other state (bar NSW) does.

Dayne Beams, Lachie Weller.

In fairness, in both cases the Qld club had to pay out the nose for them (thats what chasing contracted players does to you).

I can't recall many (if any) scenarios where a young player at the end of their contract leaves an interstate club and comes back to Qld or NSW for not much by way of draft picks?

Billy Richardson (#39) fwd/ruck looked really good in the first qtr against the Northern Knights on the weekend.

Late reply, but to me the thing that equalises it is that Vic/WA/SA will always have the “go home” factor. In my entire life I can remember ONE instance of a northern club benefitting from the “go home” factor, and that was Charlie.

Developing kids in our system means they’re less likely to piss off “home”, and we won’t have the reasonably steady stream of established players coming in under the guise of homesickness like every other state (bar NSW) does.

Going back awhile Scott McIvor left Fitzroy for the Bears in 1988. Originally played for Wilston Grange. You're right there aren't many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will put this AFL article here also.

FATHER-SON PROSPECTS CONTRACT CHANGE

THE CONTENTIOUS new rule permitting top-20 draftees to only sign contract extensions past round six into their first season will also change how clubs commit to father-son prospects.

In the past, clubs have negotiated with father-son talents over extensions beyond their initial two-year contracts in deals that have been cleared to be a part of the nominations process.

Collingwood's Nick Daicos committed to a four-year deal with the Magpies when he decided on nominating to them as a father-son pick, with two years beyond his initial two-year deal, and Brisbane's Will Ashcroft did the same in his draft season to pen a four-year contract.

It has a long history of happening, with Joe Daniher originally agreeing to a longer deal when he chose to join Essendon as a father-son in 2012.
The League is expected to wrap up its meetings with clubs this week and then be able to move onto informing them about any proposed changes to its bidding system, free agency, trade period, a mid-season player movement window, pick purchasing and the Next Generation Academy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back