No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe it’s the pessimist in me but from what I’ve seen so far this season our best hasn’t been as good as those top teams. I don’t mean those second to second plays and flashes of brilliance like Cody’s goals and Jamarras marking etc, watching Carlton’s midfield play today despite its flaws just played a more physical and resilient game than I’ve seen us do.

Long season though.

I think the way I’ve put it previously might have been confusing, because I think we are vehemently agreeing.

If performance is a scale of 1-100, Geelong are 75-90. And they’re always there, they never drop no matter their playing group or coaching staff. But most other teams are 15-95 and are completely unreliable.

The problem for the cats from 2012 to 2021 was that someone alway hit 95 during September and they couldn’t cope. In any other sports around the world the same thing happens in single elimination games.

If Geelong were 21-2 at the end of this season I still wouldn’t put someone else’s money on them for the flag. They won a well- deserved flag in 2022 but imo got lucky that a too- young Swans team made it there. Their list relies on senior/older players and I can’t see how they will run a gauntlet of 3-4 teams that will have one or more of GWS, Swans, Pies, Blues.

I might be completely wrong and they romp to the flag. But if I had the money to be a bookmaker I’d be laying the cats for the flag every chance I got.
Completely disagree with what you said about 2022. Geelong weren't lucky to win it, they were the best in it that year by the length of Flemington Straight.

Completely disagree with what you said about 2022. Geelong weren't lucky to win it, they were the best in it that year by the length of Flemington Straight.

Fair enough. I disagree but at least we’re not calling each other “wrong” like I’ve seen in other threads on our own club board.

I thought the cats were incredibly lucky to win the QF, and that the pies should’ve won that game. If that happens then maybe the cats lose in the PF or GF.

I’ll be interested to see how they go this year. Full credit to them, but this 6-0 record is yet again a little shaky imo. I’m completely out on them as a flag threat.

I’m probably wrong and they’ll win the flag by 10 goals again though.

Maybe it’s the pessimist in me but from what I’ve seen so far this season our best hasn’t been as good as those top teams. I don’t mean those second to second plays and flashes of brilliance like Cody’s goals and Jamarras marking etc, watching Carlton’s midfield play today despite its flaws just played a more physical and resilient game than I’ve seen us do.

Long season though.

Yeah, we’re like a 6-12 tier team.

Well Freo are ******* terrible on this form, so let’s go in and brain them.

But this might not be ideal. They’ll get pummelled all week in the WA press so a bit like us this week.

Good teams win anyway. Let’s see if we’re a good team or just a flaky one.

Exactly. We've just got to be better than just rolling over against Freo because they'll the cop heat now.

Our credibility is on the line. Lose and Thursday means nothing, win and we get a step closer to proper credibility.

Fair enough. I disagree but at least we’re not calling each other “wrong” like I’ve seen in other threads on our own club board.

I thought the cats were incredibly lucky to win the QF, and that the pies should’ve won that game. If that happens then maybe the cats lose in the PF or GF.

I’ll be interested to see how they go this year. Full credit to them, but this 6-0 record is yet again a little shaky imo. I’m completely out on them as a flag threat.

I’m probably wrong and they’ll win the flag by 10 goals again though.
Thought I'd jump in here. I hate Geelong and I thought they were washed in 2022. I continue to Geelong in 2024 but its not working. They're still really good.

Thought I'd jump in here. I hate Geelong and I thought they were washed in 2022. I continue to Geelong in 2024 but its not working. They're still really good.
They've always had bookends. Possibly spooked by Richmond, they've added good 2 way running smalls

They've always had bookends. Possibly spooked by Richmond, they've added good 2 way running smalls
They've also been blessed with the 'go home factor' which landed them danger and Cameron for nothing. Theirs also bruhn and Henry that they got for less than market value...you can add bailey Smith too

Yeah, we’re like a 6-12 tier team.
I think we are potentially a top-four team on talent and team composition. If we were coached by Chris Scott, we'd be a consistently top-four team and a perennial threat for the flag. Our list is not the problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I would do for the option to select "crowd noise + umpire mics" but a whole lot of unnecessary people won't get paid that way.
We got that for one year during the 90s but it was too popular! 🤣
The jobs for the boys was put in danger so it was stopped.

Geelong will make the top 4 easily. Still have some soft games ahead, and heaps of games in Geelong in the second half of the season to come. Needed a good start to the season, and they have exceeded that already.

Just like every other year except maybe 2020, there are 2-3 teams in the top 8 right now by round 6 that won’t be there by round 23.

Let’s hope we aren’t one of those teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back