Review Good, Bad, Keeping shape, keeping shat - Crows V Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t believe you lot. Rightful free kick paid, this whole thread would be on a different level, extolling the praise of the team.
Instead, we’re moping in the doldrums, demanding sackings, firings, throw out the bath water etc.
Yeah we could have played better. We still should’ve won though. We were robbed blind. Get hot under the collar about that.
Good teams find a way to win. We found a way to.
Numbers weren’t in our favour. Doesn’t matter. Should. Have. Won.
Umps f*ckd us. There’s history here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We didn’t deserve to win even if we did. Gameplan is rubbish a better side would have flogged us!

We are a bottom 4 side that has gone from number 1 in the comp for scoring now to a team that doesn’t know how to score

Two options here.

1. Rachele absolutely squibbed it. I wouldn't drop him but if he does it again the he deserves everything he gets.

2. Rachele copped a big tackle in Q1 or Q2 I don't remember exactly. I thought he might have been concussed at the time but he got straight up and looked fine.... maybe he wasn't. This makes the most sense to me. He hasn't squibbed before, why twice in one game?

Last edited:
Not denying that the rot is throughout the organisation but I am firmly of the belief that most coaches could come in an win a few games simply by speeding up ball movement and letting a bit more creativity out. Sort of like we saw last week. Nicks is determined to eventually get his way and he is blind to modern footy.
This! He's also blind to players' shortcomings and what they can/cannot do.
If the Crows were blanket garbage across the ground, losing by 6-15 goals weekly, I'd say OK, they're bad.

The infuriating thing is that they can play irresistible, run-on, overlap, play-on, fast footy in patches. You can see that when they play with that freedom, they love it and they get the job done.

Instead of harnessing that and letting the boys out to do that for 4 quarters, week after week, Nicks sends them out to play that garbage chip-chip, slow, defensive, crowd-the-stoppages nonsense. When that fails, I think the players themselves think "STUFF this, we're gonna go for it" until Nicks reins them in again.
And again.
And again.

Instead of being maybe 3-3 or even 4-2, they're 1-5 on the back of Nicks' terrible, terrible "Coaching".
Let them go, Nicks! Back the youth in, not underperforming seniors.
Win enough games to make Finals, then work on the defensive Plan-B side of their game to win Finals.

From up in the cheap seats...

First quarter fumbles.
What does Fog add?
The Shapekeeper can * off. Waste of a list spot.
How many times does Smith sell himself into trouble?
'Footsteps Rachelle' will be hard to live down.
Umpiring - meh! It's every game.
I'm not sure of a moniker for Laird. 'The Momentum Killer' or 'The Stats Man'.
Three more years of Nicks...... Yay!

Also, my poor son. After our game against Geelong, he took a salt bath to break the 'curse' of never attending a winning home game. Given our poor start, I think I'm going have to steal our neighbours chicken and have ourselves a sacrifice. "Yo bartender, Jobu needs a refill!"
Headless chook? We already have one in the team.

Wasn't htb 'every' day of the week. Draper had gone to ground and ball ricocheted back to him. It happens a fair bit and have seen plenty others go for a ball up. This narrative gives underserved justification for a loss which was the result of many other factors. Umpire whinging just prolongs Nick's tenure. 60% of this team won't play in a premiership, new list manager is required to create a list that will, new coach and new director of football is also required. This year is now about playing kids, beating port, and losing big to any team that is in a final ladder spot contest with port.

Being at the game live, all night I thought umpire 25 was giving us a raw deal... was also the umpire in control of "Draper gate"... I did a little research on umpire 25 and surprise surprise, guess where he went to school? Also no guessing who he supported as a youngster. 

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240420_080951_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420_080951_Samsung Internet.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 81
Being at the game live, all night I thought umpire 25 was giving us a raw deal... was also the umpire in control of "Draper gate"... I did a little research on umpire 25 and surprise surprise, guess where he went to school? Also no guessing who he supported as a youngster. 
Solid research from the rookie

1 moment really, really sticks out to me last night. It's not Rachele, or the HTB, it's Rory Laird.

Rankine gets the stoppage clearance on the HFF, and he handballs to Laird. He has plenty of time and space to lower the eyes and deliver I50, or even do the Rory Laird signature dump kick.

He stops and handballs backwards into pressure.

And that, my friends, is the 2018-2024 Adelaide Crows summed up in 15 seconds.

club
Wasn't htb 'every' day of the week. Draper had gone to ground and ball ricocheted back to him. It happens a fair bit and have seen plenty others go for a ball up. This narrative gives underserved justification for a loss which was the result of many other factors. Umpire whinging just prolongs Nick's tenure. 60% of this team won't play in a premiership, new list manager is required to create a list that will, new coach and new director of football is also required. This year is now about playing kids, beating port, and losing big to any team that is in a final ladder spot contest with port.
The other 40% won't be playing in a premiership either. Unless of course they change clubs.

We didn’t deserve to win even if we did. Gameplan is rubbish a better side would have flogged us!

We are a bottom 4 side that has gone from number 1 in the comp for scoring now to a team that doesn’t know how to score
The counter to that is that regardless of whether it was deserved or not, a win puts us at 2-4 and maybe we beat north this week coming and showdowns are showdowns and win that and then if form picks up in the second half of the year we might squeeze into finals and get the experience of playing them. No one cares at the end of the season if we got lucky when our form line was sketchy and those wins help us make finals should we get an upturn in form. The umpire took that away from us at the death just like last year v sydney

That is the counter narrative

Two options here.

1. Rachele absolutely squibbed it. I wouldn't drop him but if he does it again the he deserves everything he gets.

2. Rachele copped a big tackle in Q1 or Q2 I don't remember exactly. I thought he might have been concussed at the time but he got straight up and looked fine.... maybe he wasn't. This makes the most sense to me. He hasn't squibbed before, why twice in one game?

Rachele has been dropping overhead and chest marks for 18 months now. He has lost all confidence in his hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning teams do not "try". They do. They execute under pressure, and they do it repeatedly during games, game after game.

I don't care how hard McHenry and Sholl "try". They do not "do".

Hamill, Gollant, Murphy are also in the try-hard basket. I can see how in Junior grades they'd all do well, but under the time-limiting pressure cooker of AFL footy they lose all composure, panic, fumble and their skills turn to garbage.
Given time and space eg at training, Sholl and Hamill would look like stars. Take away that time and space and they are awful.
Last 2 games, I have seen Fog trying. He gets to marking contests; he tries to mark the ball but rarely does(it's very trying :expressionless: :rolleyes: ).
Nankervis tries, too. He tried to spoil the ball but succeeded only in knocking it toward the Bombers' goal, which chance they took, happily. He tries to be in the right places, he tries to mark, but fear of pressure and getting crunched make him drop sitters like last night. Rachele (who tries to win games off his own boot) has more talent than Nankervis, but he heard footsteps and imagined shadows twice in 5 minutes
McHenry's ratio of try-hard effort to actually doing something is astronomical. He does not do.

I don't doubt that Nicks tries to be a good Coach. I'll bet he puts in long hours, plans and tries real, real hard.
But Nicks is blind and stubborn --- he retains underperforming-but-trying seniors when they should be dropped (think: Smith) and he loves try-hard McHenry and others who are just not up to AFL standard.
He persists with a game-style that the players hate.
He's trying to teach them how to defend in Finals, but has forgotten that they first have to win enough games to play Finals.

Sack Nicks, asap. Nicks showed more annoyance and anger at a blowfly yesterday than I have ever seen him display about losing or towards repeatedly failing players.

Our only Flag-winning Coach was not a rookie. He got things done. He cut off senior barnacles who were hanging on, but not achieving. He trusted junior players. He made daring, unexpected moves. He was innovative. He challenged the players to go the shortest and quickest route to goal (down the guts) and exhorted them to kick winning scores (translation: more than the opposition).
Blight had more Coaching ability in his smallest fart than Nicks will ever have in a hundred of his smiley, nice-guy, stubborn-blind, ineffective lifetimes. Get rid of Nicks.

No ******* way, did you think I was joking weeks back?

Most of the players think Nicks and Burns are dickheads

Come on fellas, come and give Nicksy a hug. I still love you guys even though you don't feel the same.

Come on fellas, come and give Nicksy a hug. I still love you guys even though you don't feel the same.
'' I dont think thats the case , my door is always open and nobody has walked through that door and said I hate you - so I dont believe it - its outside noise and we dont listen to outside noise within the 4 walls''

1 moment really, really sticks out to me last night. It's not Rachele, or the HTB, it's Rory Laird.

Rankine gets the stoppage clearance on the HFF, and he handballs to Laird. He has plenty of time and space to lower the eyes and deliver I50, or even do the Rory Laird signature dump kick.

He stops and handballs backwards into pressure.

And that, my friends, is the 2018-2024 Adelaide Crows summed up in 15 seconds.
Scholl killed our momentum when he half arsed it against 2 bombers on the wing in the final. He could have put his body on the line and taken it over the boundary, but he squib and it allowed bombers to work it into an open forward line.
In hind site, he may have done us a favor and gotten us one step closer to eliminating our current coaching panel.

The down the wing gamestyle has really stymied our F50 entries and there seems to be a disconnect between where the forwards are leading and where the mids/half forwards are kicking. So many times guys like Tex lead back around towards the goal square with the ball coming down the wing and instead we enter it into the pocket while the forward is moving the opposite way and it continually allows the opposition reading the play to get first dibs on it.

If Nicks is telling them to deliver the ball deep into the pocket then the forwards aren't getting that message and if he's telling the mids to kick to the top of the square they're either not listening, or not capable of pulling that kick off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back