Review Good, Bad, Keeping shape, keeping shat - Crows V Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have been robbery to win that match
100%, but it would be nice to be the robbers more than once every few years though. The Carlton game last week is the only one I can think of that we pinched as opposed to being the better team for longer only to cough it up.

I go to every home game and stay until the end.

At half time, after watching our stupid game plan, spuds from the defining 2018 draft running around like headless chooks, other high draft picks looking like absolute busts, a midfield that relies on declining old players with no ‘weapons’, a forward line that relies on a 34 year old, and a coaching panel who looked like a bunch of smug campaigners as they walked across the ground…

I turned to my mates and said “I’m done” and, without saying another word, Walked out of the stadium and didn’t give a s**t whether we won or not.

It was the first time I’ve done this.

We have all been conned by a mediocre, plastic organisation/boys club pretty much since 1998.

But, hey, let’s sign nicks up for another two years.

Starting to think the relationship between a number of players and the coaches is fractured, due to the game style demanded.

It would be, I can guarantee you most of players blame coaches when they lose, they just don't say it publically. Having said that, most are driven by self interest, if you think the best chance of getting a game is under Nicks you want him to stay.

We are not alone, one of the biggest myths in the AFL is that all players from clubs get along with each other and like the Coach. It's no different to any other workplace with 40 odd people.

From the AFC site:
"BEST
Adelaide:
Dawson, Soligo, Hinge, O'Brien, Rachele " :rolleyes:
All I can remember Hinge doing is stuffing up on that LHF flank, totally unaware.
O'Brien continues to be a lumbering liability --- ineffective taps, poor around the ground, awful kick.

No love for Keane or Worrell, both of whom were very solid.

The only shock is they didn’t have Smith or Laird in there.

Two of the weakest acts I’ve seen on a football field within a minute of each other, when the game was on the line, summed up last night and summed up where the club is at. Firstly Nankervis’ weak attempt at a chest mark after a clever kick by Rankine to get the team out of trouble. Then an all-time squib by Rachele after a beautiful attacking kick through the middle by Walker. To prove the squib was no fluke, Rachele would do similar 5 minutes later.

Pathetic and both should be dropped to make a statement.

And surely with Crouch out, that was the time to actually give Laird some time in the middle? Individually, they are both fine players in their midfield role, just not together.

And FFS, 5 years later and we’re still persisting with O’Brien in ruck.

The good - did I see correctly that Worrell blasted Dawson after Dawson dropped a sitter in the 1st quarter that cost the Crows a goal? A finger point and a few stern words? It was good to see - unlike Dawson and after that, Dawson picked up his game to be a very good player for the rest of the night.

Soligo very good again. Clearly he’s the one that sleeps on the top bunk in the house he shares.

I was at a function tonight and couldn't see the game.

I want to know more about this fly incident in the coaches box.
There was a fly in the Coach's box. Persistent blowie, unlike the Crows :rolleyes:.
At one stage, landed on Nicks' noggin.
Channel 7 commentators thought it was hilarious; producer cut to Nicks shooing fly away. Nicks had about as much success with the fly as the Crows have had under his ... tenure.
Some posters were also amused. No "incident" :expressionless:

That's it.

One thing which is really pissing me off is how fumbly we've been whenever the pressure is ratcheted up. We're supposed to believe "strong in the contest" is the central theme of Nicks's "brand" but our guys seem to go to absolute s**t when the opposition brings some tackling pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting reading local paper etc to little made of or no mention of not 1 but 2 absolutely squib attempts to mark that were well in goal kicking territory . First one actually was a 2 goal error as they rushed it down to get a goal and get momentum back.
Even on here some posters trying to defend his actions or lack of.
Unless something changes quickly in his ego driven ,look at me playing then Rachelle will be another Hamish stuff up .
Surely he can see how his mate is killing it by actually just attacking the ball .
Ok we are very short of real talent in our club , but please don't gloss over how bad those efforts were and really stop pumping this player as star or future star until he actually does play a whole decent game.
True, The 1st one was a great kick to him in space near the 50, He heard footsteps straight back down for a goal. Cost us dearly. Then couldn't believe he done it again. Can't defend that, Selfish little boy needs to be dropped for those efforts, He'd probably sook big time but who cares.

Broad summary and commentary upon the Draper-flop/ htb:

This annoyed me:
"Commentator James Brayshaw agreed, but said it would need to be a ‘brave umpire’ to make such a decision ‘in the last second of the game’."
"Brave", wtf?
The correct call is not a "brave" call.
Doesn't matter when it happens, if a player flops onto the ball to smother it and just lies there making no attempt to get it out,
THAT
is holding the ball. "Brave", be ****ed.

One thing which is really pissing me off is how fumbly we've been whenever the pressure is ratcheted up. We're supposed to believe "strong in the contest" is the central theme of Nicks's "brand" but our guys seem to go to absolute s**t when the opposition brings some tackling pressure.
The new game plan put greatest pressure on the team, we are the most pressured side this year.

It stood out early to me, The maggots couldn't give Essendon the frees fast enough. Umpire Stevic had his mates on the same page, Hes the AFL house go to man.
The inconsistency all night with holding the ball was bewildering.

It's chook lottery what decision they will pay.

You had 1 umpire who was pinging players with no opportunity to dispose of the ball & another umpire refusing to call holding the ball.

Absolutely farcical at the end. How they don't pay that as holding the ball is mind boggling. Draper reenacting the dive on the ball after the siren adds a little more salt on the wound but is good for the AFL and umpires to see.

As for the footy, I've been a Brodie smith supporter for his whole career pretty much, but he has to be dropped. His form is so bad and so is his confidence. I don't know why we are giving him kick in duties when he has been playing so badly and can't make a good decision.

But who do you replace smith with?

ROB couldn't take a mark to save his life last night. Half the time he didn't even try and just tried tapping it to the ground. He's gotta be better than that, and in fairness he has been better than that.

Rachelle was weak as piss. Dropping his head twice, murdering the ball all in the last quarter. And not giving the handball over the top that needs to be given 100/100 times. Shocker night from him. Soligo is looking like the better 6 year signing more and more every week imo.

Depressing result overall. Probably a season killer. Nick's should be under pressure. Hopefully the Bulldogs fire Beveridge and we might get to have a crack at getting him. Our club always needs a bit of a tough taskmaster imo and he would fit that bill.
Does Rachele need his eyes checked... seriously.

Broad summary and commentary upon the Draper-flop/ htb:

This annoyed me:
"Commentator James Brayshaw agreed, but said it would need to be a ‘brave umpire’ to make such a decision ‘in the last second of the game’."
"Brave", wtf?
The correct call is not a "brave" call.
Doesn't matter when it happens, if a player flops onto the ball to smother it and just lies there making no attempt to get it out,
THAT
is holding the ball. "Brave", be ****ed.
“In the moment and at ground level, the umpires believed that Draper dived on the ball, and then the ball came out to Draper’s left, and was then knocked back under him by Walker,” the statement reads.

Bull

s**t

The controlling umpire was on the other side

He would have seen Draper dive onto the ball

He would not have seen what happened to the ball

He froze in the spotlight. Plain and simple. He ****ed up.

Who thought it was a good idea to play a Brodie Smith that could barely move or run or kick
We are so predictable persisting with injured players.

Contrast with the Cats who pulled out 3 players late for no names & still won as they had a fit team.

Last edited:
ROB is definitely a bottom tier ruckman. He should have only ever been a temporary stop gap option for a year or two.

The fact that he's heading towards 150 games is something I don't know whether to laugh or cry about.
If he can't stick his marks, he is a liability.

We should be dropping him after several poor games so he doesn't get comfortable... but alas he knows he can get comfortable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back