Josh Rachele (2024): 4 CBA’s After 5 Rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I agree that the midfield is vanilla and contains entirely the wrong balance, Rachele is not, and will never be, a centre bounce AFL player IMO.

He quite simply does not play with any defensive intensity, and allows his man to waltz away unopposed in contested situations. He was horrendous at centre bounces last season, and correctly shitcanned from attending them as a direct result. It’s another classic case of the AFC assuming a non-midfielder can magically become a midfielder. Remember when Wayne Milera was the next big midfield thing?

Soligo is better at every single aspect of midfield play than Rachele, so he must be a walk up start at centre bounces from here on.

Personally I think the biggest issue now is Laird. Ditching him from the midfield permanently needs to happen ASAP. Crouch is not the problem, and would comfortably be leading our club champion award right now. Him not gaining a lot of metres isn’t a problem at all. He is there to farm handballs to the kickers. Farming those handballs to the likes of Laird and Berry is the problem. Honestly Laird’s ball use by foot is just embarrassing.

Dawson hasn’t had a good start to 2024, but he’s also not the problem.

With a fully fit team, Dawson, Crouch, Soligo and Rankine should be attending by far the highest percentage of centre bounces for us.

What we have to find are the best 5th and 6th CBA options. Laird and Berry clearly aren’t the answer. Neither is Rachele. Neither is Keays. Anyone with any remaining confidence that Pedlar is ever going to be an AFL standard mid is a more optimistic human than me.

I’d like to see Taylor given a crack. Edwards seems like a longer term prospect who might not be ready yet, but in 2025, sure. I’m not convinced Dowling will be a CBA player, but playing Chayce Jones on a wing ahead of him is nonsense. Get Dowling on a wing NOW. Obviously Nankervis plays the other wing.

Whichever way you slice it, the recruiting and player development in this area of the ground has been utterly putrid, and we are fighting it out with West Coast, and West Coast alone, for the title of “worst midfield in the AFL” as a result.

We need a genuine A grade tackle breaker in there who can also hit the scoreboard at times. The answer doesn’t exist on our list, no player who fits that description in their right mind would want to be traded here, and our recruiting manager has literally never, NOT ONCE EVER, drafted an AFL quality midfielder in the top 20 picks of a national draft, so yeah, we’re up s**t creek.
Agree with a lot of that but if Rachelle isn’t the answer and the club knows it, why did he spend time training with the mids? And I hope this defensive side is something he will develop.

Pedlar has shown a very good ability of winning clearances. Currently he’s been shunted to the half forward line and given stupid roles like marking Stewart, they’ve nicksed him. Bring him back and as a mid. He’s a tackle breaker.

As for our midfield being as bad as West Coasts, we are worse and will be far worse. If you saw Reid yesterday he’s a machine that is going to be a superstar. Ginbey is another good player. Throw in Kelly and they just need one more decent mid which they’ll add this year with pick 1 and they’ll be miles ahead.

The mid we pick with our top 6 pick will play SANFL, then half forward and then might get some midfield in a few years. Thats assuming we don’t give that pick up for Petty which would be so Adelaide.

Agree with a lot of that but if Rachelle isn’t the answer and the club knows it, why did he spend time training with the mids? And I hope this defensive side is something he will develop.

Pedlar has shown a very good ability of winning clearances. Currently he’s been shunted to the half forward line and given stupid roles like marking Stewart, they’ve nicksed him. Bring him back and as a mid. He’s a tackle breaker.

As for our midfield being as bad as West Coasts, we are worse and will be far worse. If you saw Reid yesterday he’s a machine that is going to be a superstar. Ginbey is another good player. Throw in Kelly and they just need one more decent mid which they’ll add this year with pick 1 and they’ll be miles ahead.

The mid we pick with our top 6 pick will play SANFL, then half forward and then might get some midfield in a few years. Thats assuming we don’t give that pick up for Petty which would be so Adelaide.
Agree with Pedlar being a tackle breaker - but can he accumulate (even at the lower level this was an issue), can he bring consistent effort for a whole game, does he have a tank, will he ever have a tank, and can he hit the side of a house by foot? I’d say there’s some no’s in there.

As for Rachele spending time training with the mids - I can only guess that they were working on his defensive side of things in the hope that they could reintroduce him to some centre bounces, and the fact that he hasn’t appeared there suggests it went about as well as one who has ever watched him play would expect. The guy has absolutely no hunger to apply defensive pressure, and never did as a junior either. Of all the players that have attended a stoppage for the AFC in the last 10 years, I have honestly never seen anyone else show less defensive intensity at the actual stoppage than Rachele. Can you actually teach that? Look at George Wardlaw. Look at Harley Reid. Tom Green. Serong. Butters. I think its largely inherent.

Chayce Jones and Milera spent some time training with the inside midfield group in prior seasons too - how did that work out?

Maybe some wing time would be an idea, but even then, the way he would get exposed by his opponent running the other way likely wouldn’t be worth it.

Personally I think Rachele needs to be isolated more deep inside 50. Similar to the end of the Suns game. Who’s more dangerous one out in the goal square with horrendous midfield delivery scrubbing the ball in - Burgess, the corpse of Tex, Fog or Rachele? The former 3 are pretty bad when the ball hits the deck, and aren’t getting consistent separation from their opponents (even if they did get separation, the mids would miss the target most times).

Plus, if there’s a sniff of a goal, Rachele will actually lay tackles.

Trying to turn Rachele into an inside midfielder is akin to trying to turn a Jamie Elliot or Jaidyn Stephenson into a midfielder - it doesn’t work, it won’t work and those responsible for literally never selecting players who can transform into top quality AFL midfielders with any of the top national draft picks we’ve had since Dangerfield should be fired immediately.

Something happened between player and coach. There is no other explanation.
Stubborn coaches look stupid when they are losing & not getting the most out of their players.

Something happened between player and coach. There is no other explanation.
I don't think there's a rift.

More that our forward line is dysfunctional and Nicks doesn't want to pull goal kickers into the midfield. He has no one else to bring in

More that our forward line is dysfunctional and Nicks doesn't want to pull goal kickers into the midfield. He has no one else to bring in

Rachele had about 75 CBA's during the first 6 rounds of 2023. Talks preseason about how he has been training with the midfield group and how he is excited to play in the midfield.

First two rounds - gets two CBA's.

No worries - has a press conference and talks about injecting himself into the middle to help himself and the team.

Rounds 3 & 4 - gets Zero CBA's.

Either Rachele is a liar or there is a rift.

I know where my money is.

I agree, watched the post-match this morning. Nicks specifically called out Rash playing a really important game beyond what you see on the stat sheet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whilst not wanting to defend our coaches, I have Rachele just behind Sog in my midfield depth chart, maybe this is due to how bad our forward line are operating. Keep him there as he is a talented forward with good instincts.

Having said that, he is not exactly dominant up there.

Should be in the middle more....

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rachele had about 75 CBA's during the first 6 rounds of 2023. Talks preseason about how he has been training with the midfield group and how he is excited to play in the midfield.

First two rounds - gets two CBA's.

No worries - has a press conference and talks about injecting himself into the middle to help himself and the team.

Rounds 3 & 4 - gets Zero CBA's.

Either Rachele is a liar or there is a rift.

I know where my money is.
Nicks is pissed Josh got 7 years and he only got 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Nicks could smell finals and has gone experience over talent to win games. Now he’s lost a few and his rectum had tightened he’s gone for experience over talent to win games. I have no doubt if Sloane was fit to play Sligo would not be getting midfield minutes.

Even if nicks thinks rachele is too important to have up forward, he's one our most talented players and should be developing into a full time midfielder like Soligo. Nicks is clinging and not preparing us properly for the future.

I actually think his ceiling is higher than soligo but he's not being given the opportunity.

Agree with Pedlar being a tackle breaker - but can he accumulate (even at the lower level this was an issue), can he bring consistent effort for a whole game, does he have a tank, will he ever have a tank, and can he hit the side of a house by foot? I’d say there’s some no’s in there.

As for Rachele spending time training with the mids - I can only guess that they were working on his defensive side of things in the hope that they could reintroduce him to some centre bounces, and the fact that he hasn’t appeared there suggests it went about as well as one who has ever watched him play would expect. The guy has absolutely no hunger to apply defensive pressure, and never did as a junior either. Of all the players that have attended a stoppage for the AFC in the last 10 years, I have honestly never seen anyone else show less defensive intensity at the actual stoppage than Rachele. Can you actually teach that? Look at George Wardlaw. Look at Harley Reid. Tom Green. Serong. Butters. I think its largely inherent.

Chayce Jones and Milera spent some time training with the inside midfield group in prior seasons too - how did that work out?

Maybe some wing time would be an idea, but even then, the way he would get exposed by his opponent running the other way likely wouldn’t be worth it.

Personally I think Rachele needs to be isolated more deep inside 50. Similar to the end of the Suns game. Who’s more dangerous one out in the goal square with horrendous midfield delivery scrubbing the ball in - Burgess, the corpse of Tex, Fog or Rachele? The former 3 are pretty bad when the ball hits the deck, and aren’t getting consistent separation from their opponents (even if they did get separation, the mids would miss the target most times).

Trying to turn Rachele into an inside midfielder is akin to trying to turn a Jamie Elliot or Jaidyn Stephenson into a midfielder - it doesn’t work, it won’t work and those responsible for literally never selecting players who can transform into top quality AFL midfielders with any of the top national draft picks we’ve had since Dangerfield should be fired immediately.
I wouldn’t call Rozee an inside midfielder specifically, but he’s developed into an elite player who gets possessions and kicks goals. We need to be developing players who are capable of doing this, IMO Rachelle is the type of player who can do this and should be given the time and opportunities to play through the middle.

Who said anything about turning Rash into an inside mid? Why would you want to do that? His clearances aren't the Crouch/Laird type, he actually hits the ball at pace.

Credit to my brother for this one - but yeah seems odd that all the talk about mid attendance for rash has lead to near on nothing.

Sure he needs to improve his defensive play - but right now we eed attacking play anyway. Plus what are development coaches for?

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_28a18baa-fc71-4a06-847b-2c39d0fe8416.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_28a18baa-fc71-4a06-847b-2c39d0fe8416.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 50
Even if nicks thinks rachele is too important to have up forward, he's one our most talented players and should be developing into a full time midfielder like Soligo. Nicks is clinging and not preparing us properly for the future.

I actually think his ceiling is higher than soligo but he's not being given the opportunity.
You would think Soligo's development and good form through the midfield would only encourage Nicks to do the same with Rash & Rankine
Just imagine how the team would look if those guys could replicate what Soligo is doing in the middle

You would think Soligo's development and good form through the midfield would only encourage Nicks to do the same with Rash & Rankine
Just imagine how the team would look if those guys could replicate what Soligo is doing in the middle
Nicks and the coaches are too scared to do that.

We are struggling, so they revert to the conservative approach of putting Laird/Crouch/Dawson at most CBAs

Even though it isn't working.

This tells me he is not the coach to take us further. Too scared to back in the younger, and more naturally talented, group.

We are struggling, so they revert to the conservative approach of putting Laird/Crouch/Dawson at most CBAs

This tells me he is not the coach to take us further. Too scared to back in the younger, and more naturally talented, group.

He's just too stubborn.
He believes he is on the right track and wont change, even though the evidence against is overwhelming

This kid is a natural forward. As is Rankine. For the love of god can we stop robbing Peter to pay Paul. If we wanted a forward who could transition into a midfielder, why didn’t we just draft a friggen midfielder. We were the highest scoring team last year partly/largely because Rash and Rankine played there.

Such an odd list/development strategy.

People always call that a conservative approach but is it?

If I’m Nicks I’m looking at what we’ve got and what others are building in the middle and then making it a priority to inject some new talent.

Instead we’ve gone with Sloane, Crouch, recruited Keays, then chucked Laird in there, later Dawson. Now begrudgingly playing Soligo.

Seems more like reckless than conservative.

Also given our penchant for recycling and repurposing players through there, it’s even more baffling that we won’t give Rankine an extended run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back