Autopsy Round 4, 2024: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

You know that old adage…things are never as bad or as good as they seem. Well that game just shows there is a very fine line between us being absolutely putrid and mediocre.

Tip your hat to the Tigers they came with a plan, and plenty of pep, and their senior players were slick early.

But there are more than a few in our midfield who seem happy to leave all the heavy lifting to Steele and Marshall. Windhager back will help, and we really need to get Dow in as soon as possible he can’t possibly be as lack lustre as Zak Jones, who probably be ideal as a sub.

I thought we did well to turn the game around. What did Ross call it in the presser? Problem resolving.

I thought Cordy was good. Wilkie bounced back in the last to his intercept marking best. Naz was good but had a few moments he would take back if he could.

Sinclair took another step in his return today.

The Ross presser a classic. Admonished himself for waffling at one point…..and he was right to do so. A lot of humour and stream of consciousness.

A big wrap for Stocker. That was interesting. Thought he was good, but will watch the replay closely. Given I watched most of the game from behind the sofa.

Well from my view at Norwood I thought Stocker was excellent all game.

For everyone bagging Norwood oval as “not AFL standard” let me ask you this - were you there today ?
I was .
When the draw came out, I was annoyed that we had been drawn to play at Norwood , rather than Adelaide Oval . But let me tell you it was one of the most enjoyable days at the footy I have had in a long time.

The playing surface was immaculate- I can’t imagine a single player or coach had a problem with the playing surface .
I didn’t mind that it was a bit on the narrow side - it made watching the play in the middle and the other side easier.
As a spectator I felt closer to the action and more involved with an AFL a game than I have in years. That game would have been nowhere near as enjoyable as a spectator had it been played at Marvel.
Sure, it only holds 10,000 people and the facilities were a reminder of the 80s and 90s but this game took me back to the game I fell in love with as a kid.
No , I wouldn’t want us to play all our home games on an oval like that , but playing 1 or 2 games a year is a beautiful reminder of the suburban roots of the game.

Honestly some of you need to get off your high horses.

Yes I was there, the grass was great, but the Oval is a rounded rectangle with straight boundaries!

We are built for speed and run...that is what our coaches want. Playing at Norwood is a disadvantage to us. It was an advantage to play the Pies at the G.

I do not want beautiful reminders, I want to maximise our chances of winning a flag. Playing on substandard venues like Norwood is ridiculous. If you want a reminder of the suburban roots, then check out a few Sandy games.

Gather Round is all well and good, but if the SA Gov want to hold onto it they need another decent sized oval, and I mean oval and not small rectangle.

could everyone pls put him on ignore and stop replying to him
Cairnsman is a riot, love his posts. Don't really agree with many of his footy opinions, but the man has wit, would never put him on ignore. Who wants an echo chamber anyway?

Cairnsman is a riot, love his posts. Don't really agree with many of his footy opinions, but the man has wit, would never put him on ignore. Who wants an echo chamber anyway?
Yeah - he was hilarious with the first 1000 posts bagging the "Titanic". Getting a bit tedious now.

Perhaps he can pick another player

The whole backline performed well but Wilkie stood out for me. In a few big moments, there he was, like a wall of rock. Back to his best after a poor game last week.

I knew we could turn it around but I was surprised how well we did after half time. We stopped their ball movement and dominated the contest.

Worries for me are King’s goalkicking, the balance of our forward line and the decision-making in transition. We do some strange things under pressure.

What? what sort of supporter are you to switch off at half time... where's your optimism? and the rest of your post is just nonsense.
One that has already invested in irrational amount of time watching this club disappoint the last 13 years.

Been to every game this year before this one, but have better things to do then watch that. Would rather spend time with the kids and cut my losses if we serve up a first half like yesterday. Our skills are just unwatchable.

As for the rest of the post, not nonsense at all. We have been poor this year, outside of beating a horribly out of form Pies who almost just lost to Hawks.

If we don't get it together quick the season will slip away fast. Sincerely doubt we are good enough to do a Carlton or Sydney of last year, who have a way more talented last list than us.

If we plan on doing anything this year, major form reversal has to happen ASAP.

Great to win, but the whole focus from the coach needs to be the first quarter, and also the first quarter against Geelong and last quarter against the Bombers- the midfield were flat footed and all the midfield are to blame there. Steele got on his bike after quarter time and made a big contribution to the win thankfully.
It turned into a top team performance for a win, but jeez, can the key forwards play in front please as it gives no option for those coming down the ground when you can't see your teammate coming toward you. Caminiti has along way to go, and Owens looks a bit lost in the forward half this season so far, they need a lot of work on their positioning, as they were caught too far off the ball when it came in many times. Higgo did his bit, Butler looks off the pace. Sharman looked comfortable on the wing and is a smart ball user.
I reckon we need better support for Marshall, but that's another story.
If we can play four solid quarters next week, we can get over the line.

At full strength our midfield is still arguably a bottom third mix in the comp. At the moment it's probably a bottom 3 midfield. Needs to be addressed urgently. I'm a Byrnes fan, but as soon as I saw him lining up at the first bounce it was a sign that we were thin in there. He's a role player, not a starting mid.

Phillipou is miles off being a starting mid at the moment.

Been done to death on this forum, but I just do not understand the total refusal to put Owens in there. If he was dominating up forward then then sure, but his skillset is not suited to being a forward. He's an ordinary field kick and an awful kick for goal. Clearly not going to change though so he won't be the panacea anytime soon.

Got to hope that Windy next week and Dow/Clark in weeks after that provide some help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joke of a ground to play AFL football on.

Straight wings FFS, 10K Capacity is laughable.
Just because you were there doesn't make it AFL standard.
We should absolutely demand we play at AO next year, only half decent ground in the whole putrid state.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Having grown up in the Southern Riverina (NSW) went to School in Melbourne (Xavier) Uni in Adelaide, Lived in Adelaide, Raised a family in the Adelaide Hills, and Tasmania, And now having a partner in Melbourne, South Australia is a great place to live, Putrid state it is not, and Norwood oval was a great place to watch the game, Richmond had the same conditions to deal with. and I watched them beat the swans at the MCG last Sunday.

The whole backline performed well but Wilkie stood out for me. In a few big moments, there he was, like a wall of rock. Back to his best after a poor game last week.

I knew we could turn it around but I was surprised how well we did after half time. We stopped their ball movement and dominated the contest.

Worries for me are King’s goalkicking, the balance of our forward line and the decision-making in transition. We do some strange things under pressure.
Not only King -have 0 confidience with any of our set shots -thats what i would be doing at training -all week our single biggest issue by far

For someone with Tourette’s that’s a remarkable lack of swearing…

Not to side with Cairnsman but Tourette’s isn’t always just randomly swearing. Can be any sort of ticks, random movements, random phrases.
I think he’s actually got Toilette’s.

Characterised by the constant production of crap posting about an individual player.

He probably just needs a good flushing.

If Norwood can host AFL games then we should be able to play home games at Moorabbin
I think our case for playing games against freo and gws or Gold Coast at moorabbin is absolutely fair and should be looked at now. We play gws in Canberra next week . Moorabbin holds 10 000.
We could make decent profit there but also enhance the members package

Richmond sent a few kicks sailing out on the full so I think they were equally frustrated by the square sides. And considering we were getting properly beaten up on the outside it probably helped us contain them in the second half.

Being good enough to adapt to the size of different grounds ultimately will make us a better team on the MCG. We should be thrilled to take on those challenges.

Having grown up in the Southern Riverina (NSW) went to School in Melbourne (Xavier) Uni in Adelaide, Lived in Adelaide, Raised a family in the Adelaide Hills, and Tasmania, And now having a partner in Melbourne, South Australia is a great place to live, Putrid state it is not, and Norwood oval was a great place to watch the game, Richmond had the same conditions to deal with. and I watched them beat the swans at the MCG last Sunday.
Don't care. Moorabbin is a great place to watch football, the surface is also great.

Would never ever play an AFL game there, even though it actually has wings and is an actual oval.
We are built to make the ground big on proper grounds, it is impossible to make the ground big.
The spectacle was appalling

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually enjoy Adelaide and SA generally, underrated. Old school grounds are much more fun than big stadiums too. Real old school vibe. Not great for TV though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back