Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh - signed until 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a whipping boy on here, but credit where credits due, he works as hard if not harder than anyone on the team.

Banks, Clarke, Brown might overtake him eventually and be better footballers but they need to learn how to work as hard as he does first.

Looks very fit.

No point working harder than everyone, if you don't impact the contest like you used to, make stupid mistakes/errors and continually turn the ball over...

He is, at the moment, denying one of the kids experience in the seniors that they need to develop to a top end player.

Only on our list like JGTI bc they couldn’t be traded on and both had automatic one year triggers on their contracts.
Some of the shit this club has done since our last premiership has reflected the crap that took place in the mid 80’s to our failed years beyond.

We need to move past Macca and Pickett. Macca was excellent in a very good team as a role player, but isn’t much value in a team looking for more than gut running off a wing.

It’s not a coincidence Macca wasn’t much chop prior to 2017…. then we found a suitable role for him in a strong team, but since we’ve regressed as a team so has Macca’s value.

Unfortunately he and Macca are momentum killers. Pickett via regular stupid errors and Macca by his inability to provide any creativity via skills or blistering line breaking pace.

I’d play Short and D Rioli on the wings with Banks set to take a wing slot as he develops. Short and Rioli have line breaking pace, skills, they know how to defend, and are goal kicking threats from long range … they’d both be outstanding wingman.

Then Baker can be inserted back as a permanent defender. I don’t mind the idea of him playing midfield and I’ve advocated that in the past, but not at the expense of Bolton and Martin getting plenty of midfield minutes. Baker is a great ball user so can easily be a Caleb Daniel equivalent in the backline.

Then our team (with all fit) can be:

Grimes. Young. Broad
Vlastuin. Gibcus. Baker
D Rioli Hopper. Short
Martin. Balta. Prestia
Mansell. Lynch. Bolton
Nank. TT. Dow

Then interchange any combo of: Kosi. Ross. T Brown. Naismith. Graham. Clarke. Banks. Pickett. Macca. Sonsie. McAuliffe

The team just looks so much more threatening and better balanced without Pickett and Macca and with Short and Rioli providing skill off the wings.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s not a coincidence Macca wasn’t much chop prior to 2017…. then we found a suitable role for him in a strong team, but since we’ve regressed as a team so has Macca’s value.

Unfortunately he and Macca are momentum killers. Pickett via regular stupid errors and Macca by his inability to provide any creativity via skills or blistering line breaking pace.
Can't argue with any of that. Neither one of them appears to add much defensively when the opposition are cruising from one end of the ground to the other either. Pickett will lay the odd solid tackle here and there but gives away too many frees, while McIntosh does the old guarding space routine.
Short and Rioli have line breaking pace, skills, they know how to defend, and are goal kicking threats from long range … they’d both be outstanding wingman. Then Baker can be inserted back as a permanent dedefender.
Yes, yes and yes.

Last edited:
I'm gonna stop having a go at McIntosh I didn't realise he needs his monacle to see..... no wonder he's always kicking out on the full and dropping easy marks.

On a separate matter does anyone know how many weeks Ace got for the Punch on McIntosh that was clearly behind play and more than 50m away from the ball. So its Intentional, High contact, clearly done some irreparable damage and behind the play plus the unnecessary ragdolling. Factoring Aces clean record would be minimum 12 weeks these days 🤔🤔🤔

1709444104126.png download - 2024-03-03T173053.861.jpeg

View attachment DCPmQ6.mp4

dhdGlz.gif
7Ob1Ep.gif

The guy is more passionate about being a tradie than an AFL footballer.
I think he will do just fine & be just as happy being off our list at the end.

KMac isn't the future. But I reckon you'll have to prise the wing spot out of his grasp using a tire lever and a blow torch.

He adds aggression, running, running, running and a decent skill set. Banks on the other hand adds super skills. But can he match the other things KMac brings? Ross has good running and better skills, and is pretty aggressive.

If KMac is pushed out by a younger player that is a good thing. cause he is a genuine AFl level player. interesting year for him.
Kmac is not an aggressive player at all.

Last edited:
Bit of a whipping boy on here, but credit where credits due, he works as hard if not harder than anyone on the team.

Banks, Clarke, Brown might overtake him eventually and be better footballers but they need to learn how to work as hard as he does first.

Looks very fit.

I agree …he has a set a pretty high bar for his replacement regarding sticking to a role and fitness. Must be harder to throw a young bloke who hasn’t had the pre seasons and expect them to do the same role as him.

He’s 29 .. on his third coach and hanging in there. 10th in the B&F and I reckon while our midfield is still hacking it around will be safe for awhile.

Kmac is not an aggressive player at all.

KMac is aggressive for a wing. Most wings are allergic to contact. KMac likes to physically work his direct opponent. He isn't a monster inside mid. But for his position he can physically impose himself.

Most wings have good running and skills. KMc is a great runner, and can do OK for skills. But he almost never opens the game up. The role he plays is to make it hard for the oppo to move the ball on the outside and to create that extra man going forward. This is fine given the Dimma game plan. But if we want to hit targets and move the ball cleanly KMac is at best adequate.

Kmac runs well, but Last game Banks ran 14.5 kms at the highest speed. and was up there in other running stats. As wingers Pickett and Ross never feature in the top 5 running stats

I'm staggered that Ross seems to have lost his spot.

Is Banks injured?

Yze's game plan seems to require all the old players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KMac is aggressive for a wing. Most wings are allergic to contact. KMac likes to physically work his direct opponent. He isn't a monster inside mid. But for his position he can physically impose himself.

Most wings have good running and skills. KMc is a great runner, and can do OK for skills. But he almost never opens the game up. The role he plays is to make it hard for the oppo to move the ball on the outside and to create that extra man going forward. This is fine given the Dimma game plan. But if we want to hit targets and move the ball cleanly KMac is at best adequate.
it's a pretty low bar we set if we are setting it to try and match Kmac's strengths.

Even then, his strengths aren't really as you listed them here. He doesn't physically dominate other wings (bar the odd, and I mean odd, 1v1 marking contest), he doesn't lay bone crucnching tackles, he doesn't physically stop other wingman from running just as much as him.

Don't get me wrong, when we were a dominant team, the importance of Kmacs role was minimal, and he was able to do it relatively well, because we were for the most part, in control of the game. Now we are in the bottom half of the pack, his role is way more important, as we are constantly under pressure, and he's not up to it. It's not a personal attack on Kmac, but more a reality with were his is at in his career.

Kmac runs well, but Last game Banks ran 14.5 kms at the highest speed. and was up there in other running stats. As wingers Pickett and Ross never feature in the top 5 running stats

Is Banks injured?

Yze's game plan seems to require all the old players.
Perhaps he doesn't think that he is in the position just yet to make wholesale changes to players who have been the backbone of successful sides, and will make those calls for himself as the season progresses.

Perhaps he wants to see how each players reacts/fits in with his style of football.

Perhaps he hasn't had time to wade through the 86 pages of Big Footy about Kamdyn or the 127 about Cumbo....

it's a pretty low bar we set if we are setting it to try and match Kmac's strengths.

Even then, his strengths aren't really as you listed them here. He doesn't physically dominate other wings (bar the odd, and I mean odd, 1v1 marking contest), he doesn't lay bone crucnching tackles, he doesn't physically stop other wingman from running just as much as him.

Don't get me wrong, when we were a dominant team, the importance of Kmacs role was minimal, and he was able to do it relatively well, because we were for the most part, in control of the game. Now we are in the bottom half of the pack, his role is way more important, as we are constantly under pressure, and he's not up to it. It's not a personal attack on Kmac, but more a reality with were his is at in his career.
That is why the stars play 200+ games and the role players don't. They eventually make was for the talented players coming through.

That is why the stars play 200+ games and the role players don't. They eventually make was for the talented players coming through.
100% agree.

I suppose from my perspective, I'm just not sure what our selctors are waiting for to pull the cord on Kmac.

He was really poor by half way through last season and still lasted up to the second last game, thats 10 games we could have got into a Banks or Browne

Is Banks injured?

Not sure if Ross necessarily "lost" his spot, more like being played somewhere else where there is more competition for spots (ie. the inside mid role, where you have 8 or so players vying for a spot rather than 3).

Banks had a calf strain I believe, which meant he missed the Collingwood game.

Actually I said he physically imposes himself against other wings. Minor difference, but important I think. On the wing you get the run free much of the time, and KMac runs well. Under the Dimma system our wings were intended to disrupt oppo ball movement (discipline and physicality against other wings) and to create the structure where we open up our forward ball movement. Great, both KMac and Marlion do that really well. But beign able to open the game up they don't do (Marlion better though I reckon).

Anyway, I reckon that KMac is brilliant at what he does. But in saying that he is very limited in terms of the ability to rip the game open. I see Banks as a much higher ceiling. And if we are to play a more skilled and kicking game then KMac is on borrowed time.

But until he is past by KMac will stay and do a solid job. Unfortunately that's his ceiling - solid role player. He is not rubbish. He is a good solid AFL player, and that's it.

As to the role thing. The Dimma system was controlled chaos, which suited KMac and Marlion's skill set. under the new rules kicking skills and the ability to break lines is much much more important. That's where the role has changed - Dimma and mini stayed true to a game style that I reckon has passed its use by date. Some of our newer players have the ability to play the role that KMac does (to a lesser extent mostly), but can break lines and hit targets in a way KMac can't. So I cannot wait for Banks to take over the wing and give us a whole new way to win games.

Actually I said he physically imposes himself against other wings. Minor difference, but important I think. On the wing you get the run free much of the time, and KMac runs well. Under the Dimma system our wings were intended to disrupt oppo ball movement (discipline and physicality against other wings) and to create the structure where we open up our forward ball movement. Great, both KMac and Marlion do that really well. But beign able to open the game up they don't do (Marlion better though I reckon).

Anyway, I reckon that KMac is brilliant at what he does. But in saying that he is very limited in terms of the ability to rip the game open. I see Banks as a much higher ceiling. And if we are to play a more skilled and kicking game then KMac is on borrowed time.

But until he is past by KMac will stay and do a solid job. Unfortunately that's his ceiling - solid role player. He is not rubbish. He is a good solid AFL player, and that's it.

As to the role thing. The Dimma system was controlled chaos, which suited KMac and Marlion's skill set. under the new rules kicking skills and the ability to break lines is much much more important. That's where the role has changed - Dimma and mini stayed true to a game style that I reckon has passed its use by date. Some of our newer players have the ability to play the role that KMac does (to a lesser extent mostly), but can break lines and hit targets in a way KMac can't. So I cannot wait for Banks to take over the wing and give us a whole new way to win games.
The only part I kind of disagree with is... the going past Kmac... It's hard to go past someone when your not given the opportuntiy to do so. And I think ON FORM last year, there were more than a few times Kmac should have been dropped.

If the kids aren't given a chance, how do they go past him???

Not much of a difference, you think that time is still to come, I think that time is already here...

Not much of a difference, you think that time is still to come, I think that time is already here...
It's been parked out front since halfway through last year, and it's not going anywhere.

Some of our newer players have the ability to play the role that KMac does (to a lesser extent mostly), but can break lines and hit targets in a way KMac can't. So I cannot wait for Banks to take over the wing and give us a whole new way to win games.
Wasn’t the drafting strategy in recent years all about better skills?

Kmac was always on the fringe bc of his skills not being great. You can carry him with Cotchin, Edwards , Lambert, Martin Prestia and Bolton all in full flight, but now with a waning team trying to rebuild he sticks out like a sore thumb. He has a big heart and motor, but it’s not enough in the modern game . Kmac would be better suited at a team with quality mids around him as that’s when he was serviceable for us, but not great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back