Game Day Preseason Game 1 - West Coast vs Adelaide, Sat 2/3 : It’s Melt Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reid is going to be like a black hole, he is going to suck players towards him like a vortex, he loves the physical contest. Other players around him need to play smart, help protect him at times but more importantly, create an option on the outside as players sag off their man and go to double/triple man Reid. He will feed the ball out to them if they are in space.

I am glad he got more time on the ball today.
Gonna be good battles ahead with McKercher, Wardlaw, Sheezel etc in the future. The building blocks of the future for both clubs are being built as we speak.

I get the Flynn injury is a huge kick in the balls, but let's not pretend he's Dean Cox. Our clearance issues go much deeper than just missing a middling AFL ruckman (who hasn't actually played a game for us)

If anything it should be easier to setup knowing we aren't winning many of the taps. Just bad coaching/setups if we aren't working on more defensive structures at the clearances.

Hoping the regular season is different and today was just plying around with things

He's a talent alright, I remember suggesting that WC give up our first round pick to Melbourne for VanRooyen and their first and second round picks........I've had to kick myself in the arse a couple of times since (and that's not easy) for displaying such blatent stupidity.
I remember that conversation fondly.

I get the Flynn injury is a huge kick in the balls, but let's not pretend he's Dean Cox. Our clearance issues go much deeper than just missing a middling AFL ruckman (who hasn't actually played a game for us)

If anything it should be easier to setup knowing we aren't winning many of the taps. Just bad coaching/setups if we aren't working on more defensive structures at the clearances.

Hoping the regular season is different and today was just plying around with things
My opinion is Williams is still very hard to rove to. He's too erratic and unconventional. A more solid lumbering ruckman can probably nullify the opposing ruckmans influence more and at least give our mids an idea of what to expect.

My opinion is Williams is still very hard to rove to. He's too erratic and unconventional. A more solid lumbering ruckman can probably nullify the opposing ruckmans influence more and at least give our mids an idea of what to expect.
I was quite impressed by Barnett.

It's been a worry of mine that Nic Nat when mentoring other rucks was just teaching his way of doing things which likely wont work for any other rucks. I wonder if it might be worth getting in a Ruck Coach for a couple of seasons?

Would rather try and get more from our young ruck crew like Livingstone and Barnett and maybe try to correct a lot of the issues with Bailey when rucking and make him more predictable.

I don’t reckon they do though. Jamesion and Barnett (both of whom we’re not even sure are WAFL standard yet) both went in there instead of Williams and we looked 10x better when he wasn’t jumping 10 feet high and missing the ball completely.

That was from 2 kids that just competed. Now imagine one of those who actually wins hitouts to advantage and is good following up. That’s Flynn.

He might not be Cox but O’Brien isn’t either and was handing the ball to the Adelaide mids on a plate.

It's been a worry of mine that Nic Nat when mentoring other rucks was just teaching his way of doing things which likely wont work for any other rucks. I wonder if it might be worth getting in a Ruck Coach for a couple of seasons?

Would rather try and get more from our young ruck crew like Livingstone and Barnett and maybe try to correct a lot of the issues with Bailey when rucking and make him more predictable.
Today Bailey just couldn’t reach the ball but I noticed last week that when he was getting taps the mids were on the wrong side of his approach. He would have to have turned his hand to swipe backhand to reach them. As a result his taps, when he got them, went to the opposition

I don’t reckon they do though. Jamesion and Barnett (both of whom we’re not even sure are WAFL standard yet) both went in there instead of Williams and we looked 10x better when he wasn’t jumping 10 feet high and missing the ball completely.

That was from 2 kids that just competed. Now imagine one of those who actually wins hitouts to advantage and is good following up. That’s Flynn.

He might not be Cox but O’Brien isn’t either and was handing the ball to the Adelaide mids on a plate.
Surprised I haven't seen more people mention Jamieson. Gave up a massive size advantage, but he at least managed to halve most of the ruck contests he was in.

He's a talent alright, I remember suggesting that WC give up our first round pick to Melbourne for VanRooyen and their first and second round picks........I've had to kick myself in the arse a couple of times since (and that's not easy) for displaying such blatent stupidity.
That was a bad call at the time and a putrid call today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff is very s**t house. Most people don't realise how s**t house he is as he has credits in the bank

I was replying to your original point, which was that Gaff was outrun by Fogarty, like that's pathetic.
Lots of players will be outrun by the Fog. He's bloody quick.

Perfect building block game for Harley really, other than winning.

Played 73%, mostly in the mid. 3rd most contested posessions and clearances for WCE, behind Yeo and Kelly.

Got his hands on the ball more, got his don't argue working a bit and got ruffled up in a taste of what is to comes.

Bit better than last weeks shit show.

Some other key players will return and help straighten us up, but to tbh like Gaff, I can't see Sheed fitting into this speedy attacking style (presuming that's what we're trying to achieve), happy to be proved wrong.
Sheed wing only imo, if at all. You dont need particularly fast guys on the wing, just someone who will run all day and can use the ball well, as long as they actually do the running(which I know isnt what Sheed is known for)

I think overall there were some positives. A game I think with minimal injuries, and overall I think our energy was pretty good. Gov is such a massive in we just hope he stays fit.

Naturally our structure changes with Allen back in, but our decision making and execution, in particular from our more senior core wasn’t so crash hot today. It just makes it so difficult to put pressure back on the opposition when you’ve got guys missing 20m passes, or choosing to kick a 40-50m ball forward to an outnumber when other options were available.

I think it’s why Reid’s game in particular stood out, he made the right decision each time he had it. I felt we could have used him more at times he was in good positions to receive a handball and we chose to kick instead. Need the ball in his hands as much as possible.

I felt it was a better showing on last week. Adelaide look like they are ready to take the next step.

Better than last week.
Some bright spots, but there is very little to suggest we're not finishing bottom.

Hough I thought was our best along with Kelly.
Reid again was good, last week he was good as well despite the criticism from idiot media.

Chesser better, Rawlinson continues to show he'll be a bargain.

Older players though were the majority of best players, which while not surprising is still disappointing, but we need to be patient.

I predicted a 10 goal loss, so about on my expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back