MRP / Trib. Sam Powell-Pepper bump on Mark Keane

Remove this Banner Ad

This is essentially it..

But I dont agree with some here that this was a “dog act”..

I think what happened was the crows were two goals up.. port hadnt kicked a goal and couldnt get any run and, being a senior player, SPP thought “I’ve got make a statement here and kick my team into gear”..

And putting a hard hit on an opponent is the best way to change the flow of the game in your favour sometimes..

All good if its body on body and thats probably what SPP wanted to do.. heavy body on body contact to change the flow of the game and try get his team mates to lift..

Unfortunately he miss judged/timed it and ended up putting his shoulder into Keane’s jawbone instead of his torso.

Choose to go the bump and fxxk it up these days and youre in trouble unfortunately.

Will the AFL take the opportunity to make an example of him and set the standard for the rest of the season given its the start of the season?..
Maybe..
but thats on SPP.

He’ll only have himself to blame if they do.

Fair enough with it not exactly being a 'dog act'
But completely unnecessary in a practice match

Not even careless. Absolutely deliberate.
4 weeks minimum. Dog act from a dog player.
I think this is the only conclusion that can be reasonably drawn

Port supporters have surprisingly developed creative writing skills seeing as though most of them wouldn't have made it past year 8 at school.

Based on their posts in this thread so far, I cheerfully give them a collective B+.

Let's see if we can get it to a collective A+.

Reach for the stars people!

Check the extended clip at afl website. SPP was in play and the Adelaide bloke was slung into him and he has done little more than stand his ground.
I'm more than happy if he gets weeks but I'd suggest a lot here should be careful what they wish for.
Slung into him or not. He ran in to put the body on a tackled player.

The player was only tackled in literally the last second he got there
Exactly proves the point that he CHOSE to bump instead of tackle. He should've been preparing for a tackle, then Keane would've been gang tackled which is perfectly legal and probably wouldn't have resulted in concussion. Instead he prepared himself to bump.
Guilty as charged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t necessarily have an issue with it being graded as severe impact as long as the grade has been set for the year now.

Any player that bumps and it results in a concussion has to be graded as severe impact if this is where the bar is set for the year.

Expected high/high = 2 weeks.

The issue will be that likely during the year, an exact same bump will instead be graded as high impact instead though.

I believe we need more biomechanists to breakdown SPPs reaction as being unavoidable

He was in the act of smothering and Keanes career isn’t even over should be free to play the GF right ?

Pure accident.
Mark was spun around into Pepper.
I was 100% expecting Pep's to be cleared.
The AFL may as well stop with playing trial games/preseason games all together. Make round 1 the first hit out.
🤦‍♂️
The guy got concussed. This is AFL footy! IT HAPPENS! Mark didn't get lined up. He was simply spun in the tackle into another player. Just unfortunate.

May as well give Rioli 3 and Mark 3 as well. They both contributed...

Don’t necessarily have an issue with it being graded as severe impact as long as the grade has been set for the year now.

Any player that bumps and it results in a concussion has to be graded as severe impact if this is where the bar is set for the year.

Expected high/high = 2 weeks.

The issue will be that likely during the year, an exact same bump will instead be graded as high impact instead though.
With all due respect, is this your first year following the AFL? You don't have to worry about consistency here given that a concussion caused by a bump = automatically graded as severe impact. We can argue until the cows come home about whether it is fair to grade based on outcome rather than the act itself, but that has been the precedent set for years now.
Use the Maynard defense.

Once Powell-Pepper committed to the bump there was no possible way for him to miss the Crows player.

Free to play.
Except Maynard didn't commit to bump. He launched himself at the ball in a trajectory that was going to miss Brayshaw by 2 feet to the left. Not sure why people keep comparing apples with oranges here instead of looking at the consistent precedent set regarding similar bumps over the past decade.

It’s gross how some port fans have gone about defending this, here and other sites.

Even if you think he did not have time to pull out of the contest, he could have tried to slow down, kept his shoulder in line with hip and braced, but he didn’t.

He steps into bump with force and lead with the shoulder, you don’t do that if you’re just trying to protect yourself.

The idea that all force came the tackle is fanciful

It’s gross how some port fans have gone about defending this, here and other sites.

Even if you think he did not have time to pull out of the contest, he could have tried to slow down, kept his shoulder in line with hip and braced, but he didn’t.

He steps into bump with force and lead with the shoulder, you don’t do that if you’re just trying to protect yourself.

The idea that all force came the tackle is fanciful
Nah not gross at all lol. Ya boy got spun into SPP. Mark's head also lowered in the tackle, both from the tackle and the fact the he stood on Rioli's foot in the spin (which tripped him slightly).
100% unintentional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back