Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

For every Boort of 81 & 82 Forest St End there's a wcyche that beat then in 81 with locals and hardly any money spent. Yep Birchip and nully are spending up big with grains, but both are still well run clubs, where the recruits stay there more than a year, these guys could get paid similar to play closer to home as well.

I'd thought it was a pretty well known fact from the dirty williams days, rochy locals play for bugger all, as it allows them to get a few recruits, happens at kerang as well, maffra, Leongatha etc, where they blood juniors into their senior teams early, so they learn how to play the way they want and that way you keep 14-18 core locals and can top up with a couple of big recruits.

Generally you'll find the whole town follows the club as well and that drives locals to come back and play, and there's been generations play there. not sure you could say that about maine or Maryborough at the moment, although I like maine are thinking outside the box and there's guys coming in from the mcdfl as well

There is always a couple of car loads of uni students that live in Bendigo that travel back to Rochester for training and games. It was never in question as a Rochy local that you would do anything else but play at Rochy. It was just what you did, everyone wanted to be part of it.
Sometimes we would train at a Bendigo club, they would often have no idea who we were, just happy to let us train. Wouldn’t know they had a few Rochy boys who could play a bit, GV interleague players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knighter always trained with south and a few others did the same from memory, but yep I do recall a similar thing from the kerang boys one night turned up to marong unannounced, as Eaglehawk were having a night off and the balls were pinging around that night, I'd imagine it would have been the same with the rochy boys rocking and a few old blokes wondering who these new guys are that can kick a footy

Give it a spell.

Pretty sure the pios started in 93, square only won a flag in 2001. In that period Maryborough, maine, flat and kyneton were the strongest they have ever being in the league

Dunno why you guys would be sensitive about that, it’s just plain history.

The Pioneers inception was a huge kick along for Golden Square, the injection of money, facilities and players is a huge reason they are where they are now.

Can we talk about something else. What recruits are coming into the league. How are each club going with recruiting

Here’s how I see it.

Basically everyone has gotten worse bar Castlemaine, the contenders haven’t really changed, maybe just shuffled in order.

I’d have Sandhurst, Gisborne and Eaglehawk as a top 3, Strath and Square to round out the 5.

I reckon Castlemaine has probably moved past Kangaroo Flat and close to South, with Maryborough last.

Hoping Castlemaine has more to come as at this stage you’d have to say the recruiting has been good in quality but much less in quantity than everyone would have hoped.

Knighter always trained with south and a few others did the same from memory, but yep I do recall a similar thing from the kerang boys one night turned up to marong unannounced, as Eaglehawk were having a night off and the balls were pinging around that night, I'd imagine it would have been the same with the rochy boys rocking and a few old blokes wondering who these new guys are that can kick a footy
Can we talk about something else. What recruits are coming into the league. How are each club going with recruiting
Square have announced 5 and all look pretty handy. Strath have Caleb Sheahan returning. Jonty Neaves will be welcomed back with open arms at the Borough. Will Wallace (Sandhurst) and Jackson Carrillo (Gisborne) looking interesting recruits. Anyone got any comments about them?

Castlemaine have a heap including 2 Collingwood VFL players. Forest can tell us more about them.

I am sure that in time more recruits will be announced. Keep an eye on 'Country Vic Footy News' on Facebook for more details.

Square have announced 5 and all look pretty handy. Strath have Caleb Sheahan returning. Jonty Neaves will be welcomed back with open arms at the Borough. Will Wallace (Sandhurst) and Jackson Carrillo (Gisborne) looking interesting recruits. Anyone got any comments about them?

Castlemaine have a heap including 2 Collingwood VFL players. Forest can tell us more about them.

I am sure that in time more recruits will be announced. Keep an eye on 'Country Vic Footy News' on Facebook for more details.
My Top five at the moment:

1. Gisborne
2. Golden Square.
3. Sandhurst
4. Eaglehawk
5. Strathfieldsaye just nudging out Castlemaine.

5. Strathfieldsaye just nudging out Castlemaine.

Unless Strath come way back I’d have them comfortably ahead at this point.

Assuming they keep Filo Castlemaine has an excellent midfield, or a very good one without him, but will be young in the ruck.

If Hartley plays forward then they are still at least a key forward and key back short. If he plays back they are two key forwards short.

The two ex VFL players announced so far seem to be a small forward and a half back ball using type, both of which will be helpful but without a few more sizeable types it’s going to be very hard to beat the good teams.

Hartley has to play back or on the wing, maybe fwd v flat and Maryborough only

I believe the man himself has said he expects he will play forward.

I can understand the thinking as they have to find a way to score and that’s been an issue for a long time, but I reckon he will soon realise they need to defend first.

Having said that, the talk is there is more recruits to come so they may well be holding some announcements until the new year to get some excitement going closer to the season.

I believe the man himself has said he expects he will play forward.

I can understand the thinking as they have to find a way to score and that’s been an issue for a long time, but I reckon he will soon realise they need to defend first.

Having said that, the talk is there is more recruits to come so they may well be holding some announcements until the new year to get some excitement going closer to the season.
The best pressure to put on an opposition team is scoreboard pressure.

Kangaroo Flat have announced Justin Bateson - Wycheproof, Luke Ellings - Gisborne, & Micheal Roos - Avondale Height & Jack Lefroy - Old Trinity/Carlton VF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it the blokes with the talent don’t have the drive to try and crack the next level while the rest of us who would do anything for a crack don’t have the ability!
Mate, these two boys have done everything in their power to make it. Freg went further than Lachie.IMO Lachie should've been rookied by the Pies and would've been a better alternative than Ruscoe and one or two others. Both quality people!

Mate, these two boys have done everything in their power to make it. Freg went further than Lachie.IMO Lachie should've been rookied by the Pies and would've been a better alternative than Ruscoe and one or two others. Both quality people!

Nar, Greene had a solid year last year and had some interest from clubs in the trade period.

Could have done a preseason with a club in the hope of snagging a list spot. Oleg Markov was where he is now this time last year and is now a premiership player.

Failing that, if he cracked in at VFL level he could easily be back on a list as soon as mid year next season. Or the year after.

Had heaps of potential to make a career but no chance of that happening playing in the bush.

Nar, Greene had a solid year last year and had some interest from clubs in the trade period.

Could have done a preseason with a club in the hope of snagging a list spot. Oleg Markov was where he is now this time last year and is now a premiership player.

Failing that, if he cracked in at VFL level he could easily be back on a list as soon as mid year next season. Or the year after.

Had heaps of potential to make a career but no chance of that happening playing in the bush.
Maybe I went too early. You've outdone yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back